SiouxSports.com Forum

"Art Corridor Planned for 42nd St in GF"

Let'sGoHawks!

• 5 months later...

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/282166/

The Alerus Center in Grand Forks has experienced a sharp spike in revenue growth the past two years, leading the center to upgrade facilities and consider expansion, according to officials there.

The event center’s recent growth in revenue, along with nearby building development, prompted center officials to consider purchasing several adjacent lots to the south.

Negotiations for the land have been discussed by the Grand Forks Events Center Commission and its Finance/Renovation Committee in recent months.

Although the Alerus Center doesn’t know what it would use that land for yet, Swanson said she wanted the possibility of buying the land to be discussed because it’s the only available land adjacent to the center, which is otherwise surrounded by a hotel, apartments and Interstate 29.

Swanson said she believes there are other buyers interested in that land, “so if we didn’t act quickly or at least become engaged in the process ... there would not be land to buy.”

The land purchase issue will be brought to the Events Center Commission at its Jan. 22 meeting for discussion and possible action, Swanson said. If the commission decides to move forward with the purchase, she said, it would still have to be approved by the city’s Finance/Development Committee and then the City Council.

The Alerus Center would be “very strategic” in how it would use the land because it’s the only option for expansion, she said. She envisions a strategic planning process for the land involving input from industry experts, she said.

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/282188/

The Grand Forks Finance/Development Committee asked Monday for a memorandum of understanding between the city and the Community Foundation to be drafted, regarding a proposed 42nd Street “Destination Corridor” project.

The proposed Destination Corridor would feature more than 50 large, illuminated sculptures, meant to be visible from Interstate 29. It would also include businesses, restaurants and entertainment, possibly including a center combining a library, performing arts space and an art museum.

Grand Forks wants to take the prime real estate next to the Alerus and put a Library/Museum on it. DUMB. That land should be used for hotels and restaurants. The hotels are building right now and the restaurants can't be far behind. The city is going to keep throwing this ridiculous $25 million library idea around until it gets passed and then they're going to build it where none of the people who would actually use it live. The owners of the land would rather sell it to restaurants, but it's looking like the city will make them an offer they can't refuse. The city is pretending they don't know what they'll do with the land once they buy it, but that's just because it would cause such a stink if it was known they were spending millions of dollars on land for a library that has been repeatedly rejected by the people of Grand Forks.

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/282166/

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/282188/

Grand Forks wants to take the prime real estate next to the Alerus and put a Library/Museum on it. DUMB. That land should be used for hotels and restaurants. The hotels are building right now and the restaurants can't be far behind. The city is going to keep throwing this ridiculous $25 million library idea around until it gets passed and then they're going to build it where none of the people who would actually use it live. The owners of the land would rather sell it to restaurants, but it's looking like the city will make them an offer they can't refuse. The city is pretending they don't know what they'll do with the land once they buy it, but that's just because it would cause such a stink if it was known they were spending millions of dollars on land for a library that has been repeatedly rejected by the people of Grand Forks.

When was the last time you were at the library? Have you ever noticed how busy it is and outdated? There was a story the other day how Kroll's Diner did not build in GF because of land costs. This land will be to high for a restaurant to build on for anyone but a larger corporate chain. The last thing GF needs is another mediocre chain restaurant. Though I do agree with you that it is not a good place for a library, museum, arts center. I have a hard time even thinking GF needs the mueum and arts center. Library yes but not the rest. Even the a totally different location for the library. Heck I can't even think of a good location for the library.

The city should have grabbed all the land to the south of the Alerus in the 90's for the future. Now I think it is too late.

• Upvote 1

When was the last time you were at the library? Have you ever noticed how busy it is and outdated? There was a story the other day how Kroll's Diner did not build in GF because of land costs. This land will be to high for a restaurant to build on for anyone but a larger corporate chain. The last thing GF needs is another mediocre chain restaurant. Though I do agree with you that it is not a good place for a library, museum, arts center. I have a hard time even thinking GF needs the mueum and arts center. Library yes but not the rest. Even the a totally different location for the library. Heck I can't even think of a good location for the library.

The city should have grabbed all the land to the south of the Alerus in the 90's for the future. Now I think it is too late.

I personally don't care at all about the library. IMO, it simply passes some personal expenses of a few hundred people off to the city. If the majority of the people of Grand Forks do eventually vote in favor of replacing the current library, well then I guess I'll just have to accept and pay for that. However, it should NOT be placed on a lot neighboring the Alerus. If they really want to go forward with it, all this artsy stuff should be placed downtown and/or along University Ave and the library should be in north Grand Forks.

I personally don't care at all about the library. IMO, it simply passes some personal expenses of a few hundred people off to the city. If the majority of the people of Grand Forks do eventually vote in favor of replacing the current library, well then I guess I'll just have to accept and pay for that. However, it should NOT be placed on a lot neighboring the Alerus. If they really want to go forward with it, all this artsy stuff should be placed downtown and/or along University Ave and the library should be in north Grand Forks.

Can you think of anywhere in north GF that would work for a library? Why are you so against the arts? Did you have such a problem with the Park Board building such an expensive building like the health center with no vote of the public? Vote on a library but not an excercise center that was not needed? None of which are self-supporting. Maybe lots of other people do not like their tax dollars being wasted there. Or on another hockey arena. They never got a say in those being built.

Can you think of anywhere in north GF that would work for a library? Why are you so against the arts? Did you have such a problem with the Park Board building such an expensive building like the health center with no vote of the public? Vote on a library but not an excercise center that was not needed? None of which are self-supporting. Maybe lots of other people do not like their tax dollars being wasted there. Or on another hockey arena. They never got a say in those being built.

The wellness center folks got the donations to build it and had a revenue model to show that it should be self-sufficient. Honest question, do you have data to show that the new wellness center is not self-supporting at this point? Their membership numbers were well ahead of where they projected them.

The library on the other hand doesn't have the donations to be built nor will it ever provide a revenue model that will get it anywhere near being self-sufficient. Not saying that a new library or something doesn't need to be done, at the cost of taxpayers, but the library board continues to be disorganized in their plans and information released, not to mention dishonest, whether intentional or not, in some facts/figures they have put out.

The wellness center folks got the donations to build it and had a revenue model to show that it should be self-sufficient. Honest question, do you have data to show that the new wellness center is not self-supporting at this point? Their membership numbers were well ahead of where they projected them.

The library on the other hand doesn't have the donations to be built nor will it ever provide a revenue model that will get it anywhere near being self-sufficient. Not saying that a new library or something doesn't need to be done, at the cost of taxpayers, but the library board continues to be disorganized in their plans and information released, not to mention dishonest, whether intentional or not, in some facts/figures they have put out.

What government building is ever self-supporting? Did they really get all the funds to build it? What about the fact that valuable real estate went off the tax roles and the tax deduction Choice got? Following all the money Choice got from the Feds? I agree with you on the library board making a mess of it. Disorganized is being kind to them. Total clusterF is more like it. Yes the membership is higher than projected but at what subsidized cost? Are people really paying what they should be? Or are other taxpayers underwriting it? Another tennis center and water parks in the works here? But I do agree that the health center is a nice addition to the city but so would a library.

Can you think of anywhere in north GF that would work for a library?

Haven't looked into it much. It'd be expensive property, but perhaps the corner of Washington and Gateway. Outside of that, there are plenty of rundown buildings/lots the city could buy for a song, tear down, and replace.

Why are you so against the arts?

I'm not necessarily against art, I'm against the city paying for it. Call me heartless, but I feel it serves no purpose. If they're going to do it, it should be downtown or on University, not next to an events center.

Did you have such a problem with the Park Board building such an expensive building like the health center with no vote of the public?

Yes, I had a problem with the Park Board building the wellness center, regardless of public input. I don't support the city directly competing with private businesses.

Vote on a library but not an excercise center that was not needed? None of which are self-supporting. Maybe lots of other people do not like their tax dollars being wasted there.

As jdub pointed out, it appears the wellness center actually may be self-supporting at this point. I still don't approve of it.

Or on another hockey arena. They never got a say in those being built.

There are a lot of donations for the hockey arena and there are no private competitors. It serves a purpose which otherwise goes unfilled. It also gives kids something to do, which, IMO, is the purpose of the park board.

The only place an "arts center" makes sense is downtown or on campus. Anywhere else and it would seem really out of place. In my opinion.

My thought exactly. Can you think of a good location downtown that is not already being used though? Kind of the problem with the whole thing. There is not a really good location for a museum, art center, or library.

My thought exactly. Can you think of a good location downtown that is not already being used though? Kind of the problem with the whole thing. There is not a really good location for a museum, art center, or library.

I believe there is still quite a bit of unused space on the upper floors of a couple downtown buildings that would work well for a museum/art center. Has anything permanent looking gone into the Leevers building yet? They could build their Taj Mahal library on that lot.

Haven't looked into it much. It'd be expensive property, but perhaps the corner of Washington and Columbia. Outside of that, there are plenty of rundown buildings/lots the city could buy for a song, tear down, and replace.

I'm not necessarily against art, I'm against the city paying for it. Call me heartless, but I feel it serves no purpose. If they're going to do it, it should be downtown or on University, not next to an events center.

Yes, I had a problem with the Park Board building the wellness center, regardless of public input. I don't support the city directly competing with private businesses.

As jdub pointed out, it appears the wellness center actually may be self-supporting at this point. I still don't approve of it.

There are a lot of donations for the hockey arena and there are no private competitors. It serves a purpose which otherwise goes unfilled. It also gives kids something to do, which, IMO, is the purpose of the park board.

I see we are in almost complete agreement on this. Though I do think the city has as much responsibility to provide arts as sporting oppurtunities. Is where Columbia Rd. and Washington meet even in the city? That is too far out of the way for a library. Even run down buildings that I can think of do not have enough lot space to build a library.

I believe there is still quite a bit of unused space on the upper floors of a couple downtown buildings that would work well for a museum/art center. Has anything permanent looking gone into the Leevers building yet? They could build their Taj Mahal library on that lot.

Businesses already on both ends of Leevers. What downtown buildings are you thinking off that would have space?

I see we are in almost complete agreement on this. Though I do think the city has as much responsibility to provide arts as sporting oppurtunities. Is where Columbia Rd. and Washington meet even in the city? That is too far out of the way for a library. Even run down buildings that I can think of do not have enough lot space to build a library.

Ugh sorry, Columbia and Gateway, not Washington.

Businesses already on both ends of Leevers. What downtown buildings are you thinking off that would have space?

Don't know the names they've given the buildings, but I recall seeing rental advertisements in the windows of either the building The Loft is in or the one to the southwest of it.

I was wondering about that. UND owns the land though. Happy Harry's in one corner and two cemetaries on the others. Though it would make a great location to put a combo library, museum, art center.

UND might just love to have a city-financed library, art center, and museum. It'd also give the Arts Department someplace to hang their "art."

UND might just love to have a city-financed library, art center, and museum. It'd also give the Arts Department someplace to hang their "art."

Or they could work together on it. I think you think of what is called art the same way I do. Do you shake your head thinking what the f? I don't think I am any more of a fan of spending money on such things. But overall they are what could be considered one of those necessary evils for an overall good. Here is something you might agree on. Tear down the Burtness Theater for space for the Business School to expand on. Then move the Burtness into the new library/museum/art center? Kind of would make a win win situation.