SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Anything for a national title? What do 4 players who are no longer with the program and weren't even on the team at the time of the initial incident have to do with NDSU's ability to win football games?

You are almost correct.

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/400600/

Boyd was a member of the NDSU football team when the charges were filed in the fall but is no longer on the roster. The other three were former players at the time.

It also means the football team has priority when it comes to suspensions over all other programs and students at NDSU. It you say it isn't true I say BS!!

You are almost correct.

It also means the football team has priority when it comes to suspensions over all other programs and students at NDSU. It you say it isn't true I say BS!!

But that isn't the news of the day Darell. The news today is FORMER PLAYERS didn't show up for community service. No defense for that, but what does that have to do with NDSU winning football games? If I got in trouble today, almost a decade after my time at NDSU, would that reflect poorly on NDSU football? Or just on me? At some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions and that isn't on coach Bohl or anyone else at NDSU.

Edit: And why on God's green earth would Gene Taylor comment on this?

You are almost correct.

Honestly, Boyd didn't really play anyway.

These 4 are total idiots. If the court lets you off pretty easy, you do what they tell you to do.

But that isn't the news of the day Darell. The news today is FORMER PLAYERS didn't show up for community service. No defense for that, but what does that have to do with NDSU winning football games? If I got in trouble today, almost a decade after my time at NDSU, would that reflect poorly on NDSU football? Or just on me? At some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions and that isn't on coach Bohl or anyone else at NDSU.

Edit: And why on God's green earth would Gene Taylor comment on this?

If the judge would have thrown them in jail then maybe they wouldn't have to worry about them skipping out on their sentence but since they are NDSU football players (don't want to piss off Bohl or Taylor) they get community service, and of course early bedtime as an NDSU punishment.

Anything for a national title? What do 4 players who are no longer with the program and weren't even on the team at the time of the initial incident have to do with NDSU's ability to win football games?

Meh. I agree with you for the most part, but I always see "Once a Bison, Always a Bison" tossed around when talking about the guys who are making positive headlines or getting shots in the NFL at the playing or coaching level. Got to deal with both sides of the equation. UND had a situation where a few former players got in trouble about a year and a half ago and quite a few NDSU backers didn't have a problem making a connection with UND even though they were no longer with UND's program.

The amusing thing was that these guys had an oppurtunity for a heck of a second chance with this. Complete their probation and get deferred imposition on something that could seriously jeopardize future job opportunities. Not sure how you don't take care of that is fast as possible.

This isn't directed at you, but attacking the messenger is also a pretty sad way to respond to this. Jump up and down and scream about how NDSU is big time and deserves national media attention, etc and then complain when there is bad press that comes in your local newspaper when something like this happens? And then claim she is stalking the players but post her college information and a link to her picture? Who's the stalker? Come on man...

Also a little strange that Caillou didn't write the article but a regular reporter did.

• Upvote 2

Why is playing time relevant? If he's on the team, he's on the team. Or are you saying that different players should be handled differently based on where they fit into the heirarchy of the team? I could never see that happening...

If the judge would have thrown them in jail then maybe they wouldn't have to worry about them skipping out on their sentence but since they are NDSU football players (don't want to piss off Bohl or Taylor) they get community service, and of course early bedtime as an NDSU punishment.

It could have been handled differently(see better), but today's news shouldn't warrant any comment from anyone in the NDSU athletic department. These guys are former players who haven't been under the supervision of the football team for over a year in 3 of the cases and 6 months in the other.

These 4 are total idiots. If the court lets you off pretty easy, you do what they tell you to do.

The judge said all of the players were too immature and not smart enough to even understand what they did.

Bohl babysat the players that still had eligiblity to ensure they didn't sit out the next year in the slammer.

Meanwhile, the players with no eligibility were tossed to the wind by NDSU athletics. Too immature and not smart enough to do what is best for their lives.

Once a bison, always a loser.

• Upvote 1

Meh. I agree with you for the most part, but I always see "Once a Bison, Always a Bison" tossed around when talking about the guys who are making positive headlines or getting shots in the NFL at the playing or coaching level. Got to deal with both sides of the equation. UND had a situation where a few former players got in trouble about a year and a half ago and quite a few NDSU backers didn't have a problem making a connection with UND even though they were no longer with UND's program.

The amusing thing was that these guys had an oppurtunity for a heck of a second chance with this. Complete their probation and get deferred imposition on something that could seriously jeopardize future job opportunities. Not sure how you don't take care of that is fast as possible.

This isn't directed at you, but attacking the messenger is also a pretty sad way to respond to this. Jump up and down and scream about how NDSU is big time and deserves national media attention, etc and then complain when there is bad press that comes in your local newspaper when something like this happens? Come on man...

Also a little strange that Caillou didn't write the article but a regular reporter did.

Lakes is Lakes. He is extreme and will say just about anything to spin things in a positive NDSU way. I am 100% on board with the Once a Bison, Always a Bison motto. But, players doing doing dumb things after they are out of the program is on them, not Coach Bohl or Gene Taylor.

Love it or hate it, there is no denying that Coach Bohl is hired to win football games, not be a parent to these guys, especially after they are done with NDSU.

It could have been handled differently(see better), but today's news shouldn't warrant any comment from anyone in the NDSU athletic department. These guys are former players who haven't been under the supervision of the football team for over a year in 3 of the cases and 6 months in the other.

With that kind of illogic, any current bison player in the NFL shouldn't be commented on by the NDSU athletic department either. You simply can't pick and chose the "good", and ignore the stupid.

The judge said all of the players were too immature and not smart enough to even understand what they did.

Bohl babysat the players that still had eligiblity to ensure they didn't sit out the next year in the slammer.

Meanwhile, the players with no eligibility were tossed to the wind by NDSU athletics. Too immature and not smart enough to do what is best for their lives.

Once a bison, always a loser.

Once a Bison, always a loser? Hilarious.

Don't you see this puts another black eye on the football program's off-field problems? I know they are done with the team but still it looks bad, especially when the charges were announced to the public and both Both and Taylor (especially Taylor) cried out no suspensions. Also remember the players were most likely playing at the time of the crimes plus Bohl knew about the charges before it was announced to the press.

This I agree with. No comment from Bohl or Taylor is necessary. But to those that think it doesn't reflect on the NDSU athletic department and they won't be associated with this are living in a dream world. You get the bad with the good, you don't get it both ways (again not directed specifically at you).

With that kind of illogic, any current bison player in the NFL shouldn't be commented on by the NDSU athletic department either. You simply can't pick and chose the "good", and ignore the stupid.

If TJ Oshie got arrested for something this week. Would you expect Hakstol to comment?

Love it or hate it, there is no denying that Coach Bohl is hired to win football games, not be a parent to these guys, especially after they are done with NDSU.

So you wanna bet that Bohl's staff wasn't parenting the current players on completing their community service? The staff were riding their asses to get it done on time. Bohl parents these kids until their done with eligibility, and then dumps them to the curb.

Lakes is Lakes. He is extreme and will say just about anything to spin things in a positive NDSU way. I am 100% on board with the Once a Bison, Always a Bison motto. But, players doing doing dumb things after they are out of the program is on them, not Coach Bohl or Gene Taylor.

Bohl is their role model, and if they break the law he needs to drop the hammer on them not tap their hand and give them a timeout. He is soft when it comes to a national title in the future and before you mention that one player Bohl kicked off the team this was about 15 players and some did this on the team. So maybe stricter punishment from both the court and the school would have maybe sunk into these idiots heads and take their sentence seriously.

If TJ Oshie got arrested for something this week. Would you expect Hakstol to comment?

When Oshie was hanging around the REA like last summer, then it would be appropriate.

These kids are all in Fargo and hang around the BSA.

Some of these kids committed fraud on the time sheets. Same old song and dance. They never learned anything.

But now Bisonville turns on these kids because the kids are no longer useful to them. Before, Bisonville was defending these kids.

As I said, once a Bison, always a loser. Bisonville poster comments prove that.

Don't you see this puts another black eye on the football program's off-field problems? I know they are done with the team but still it looks bad, especially when the charges were announced to the public and both Both and Taylor (especially Taylor) cried out no suspensions. Also remember the players were most likely playing at the time of the crimes plus Bohl knew about the charges before it was announced to the press.

I don't have any problem with anything you are saying, this does and will continue to reflect poorly on NDSU. My only contention with a few posts here is when somebody said "Where were the coaches" and when you said "Why hasn't Gene commented yet"?

So you wanna bet that Bohl's staff wasn't parenting the current players on completing their community service? The staff were riding their asses to get it done on time. Bohl parents these kids until their done with eligibility, and then dumps them to the curb.

You played for coach Bohl? You know what goes on behind the scenes? I'd love to learn more about how Coach Bohl handles things, you seem to know a lot about the inner workings of the NDSU football program.

I don't have any problem with anything you are saying, this does and will continue to reflect poorly on NDSU. My only contention with a few posts here is when somebody said "Where were the coaches" and when you said "Why hasn't Gene commented yet"?

You know KVLY or Dom Izzo or the Forum will be knocking on his door for a statement, or blame the football program for something like this.

When Oshie was hanging around the REA like last summer, then it would be appropriate.

These kids are all in Fargo and hang around the BSA.

Some of these kids committed fraud on the time sheets. Same old song and dance. They never learned anything.

But now Bisonville turns on these kids because the kids are no longer useful to them. Before, Bisonville was defending these kids.

As I said, once a Bison, always a loser. Bisonville poster comments prove that.

99.9% of Bisonvillers aren't Bison. They are Bison fans. Very different. You won't hear any former players either disowning these players for their contribution or defending them.

You played for coach Bohl? You know what goes on behind the scenes? I'd love to learn more about how Coach Bohl handles things, you seem to know a lot about the inner workings of the NDSU football program.

Maybe through the court system I know more than you do.

You know KVLY or Dom Izzo or the Forum will be knocking on his door for a statement, or blame the football program for something like this.

And the only thing he should expect to hear is "no comment".