SiouxSports.com Forum

Graduation timing

jimdahl

I noticed this while at UND, not many seem to graduate at 4 years...

Public universities pushing ‘super-seniors’ to the graduation stage

I'm sure the biggest factor is changing majors, when we went to orientation in Missoula they said 81% of freshman would change majors before graduating, that has to push them back at least a semester or two.

Another thing I've heard from other parents is their kid couldn't get into the last class or two they needed as a senior so they had to go for another semester to get that one or two class requirement, which seems a little odd because the seniors register first but I guess it's still first-come first-serve so the demand must be there.

And then there's the Tommy Boy students... :lol:

I'm sure the biggest factor is changing majors, when we went to orientation in Missoula they said 81% of freshman would change majors before graduating, that has to push them back at least a semester or two.

Another thing I've heard from other parents is their kid couldn't get into the last class or two they needed as a senior so they had to go for another semester to get that one or two class requirement, which seems a little odd because the seniors register first but I guess it's still first-come first-serve so the demand must be there.

And then there's the Tommy Boy students... :lol:

I think that part of the reason students have trouble getting specific classes is because they haven't had the proper prerequisite first. And some of those classes are only offered in 1 semester. I took a class in the summer so that I could take a class offered only in the fall that I needed to graduate the following spring.

I think that part of the reason students have trouble getting specific classes is because they haven't had the proper prerequisite first. And some of those classes are only offered in 1 semester. I took a class in the summer so that I could take a class offered only in the fall that I needed to graduate the following spring.

Yeah, I remember trying to map that out pretty much in my Sophomore year -- guessing that classes that were in the Fall/Spring in the past would be in the future, and figuring out how to get in the right prereqs to get it done. Even if you had a chosen major, graduating in four years required paying some attention to scheduling.

I remember finishing in four well, because it was such a contrast from my friends at private schools. I was talking to one of them about how I had completed my coursework and so was applying to graduate, which they found baffling... pretty much everyone at their school just got sent packing with a diploma after four years. There must have been much more hands-on advising, to the point that it was impossible to have completed four years of courses and not graduated.

As I current student, I understand some of the stuggles that some of the my fellow classmates have when it comes to graduating in 4. Some are their own doing, others are because they chose to go 4.5 to 5 years (Some of my friends who are in engineering do a co-op during the summer and fall).

I remember my first weekend here in August 2009, I was in a small room in Odegard Hall with all of my professors and the 25 other kids in my field of study. They all explained to us about how advising was required in order for us to register for classes and we needed to meet with our advisors at least once a semester and to come ready when meeting with said advisor with what classes you wanted to take. That was one of the thing that I really liked.

Another thing I think benefits some people is that they come in with college credits from taking advanced high school classes or they do PSEO. So some people come in with like 3-5 credits or more and it really does help them in their pursuit of graduating in 4. ACT scores are also important because for some people it was the diference between starting in a pre-calc and a calc class.

This time next year, I should have my BA in my major with a minor and hopefully moving on to grad school here.

And hey... there is nothing wrong with going to school for 7 years :lol: