SiouxSports.com Forum

Cary Eades ?

Fetch

Now that your gone please tell us what you really think about the Name

I'd love Cary to answer two questions:

1. How do you personally feel about the moniker?

2. How should UND deal with the moniker when it comes to the long-term interests of the hockey programs, student-athletes, and the University?

Are you sure you'd want Cary to answer question 2? Remember, Dave Hakstol was just a hardcore as anyone and he's admitted the name could be a long-term detriment to even mens hockey at UND.

I'd love Cary to answer two questions:

1. How do you personally feel about the moniker?

2. How should UND deal with the moniker when it comes to the long-term interests of the hockey programs, student-athletes, and the University?

Are you sure you'd want Cary to answer question 2? Remember, Dave Hakstol was just a hardcore as anyone and he's admitted the name could be a long-term detriment to even mens hockey at UND.

But remember, Hakstol was "forced by the administration" to change his opinion. :silly: Some people can't comprehend that the sanctions are actually going to be a major issue for every sport, and the athletic department in total.
  • Upvote 2

He (Hak) had to admidt to "could be" & you know it

Yeah you guys, he was going to be fired if he didn't toe the company line and Hak knew that because of his abysmal record as a head coach at UND he never would've been able to get another job!!! :tinfoilhat:

I believe UND Admin. & SBOHE & Alumni Assn. made it clear to him not to hold to his true feelings & the fact the name is worth living with the Fearful potential sanctions - Peer Pressure & if I was Him (a Great Coach in a Great Program with my contract being negotiated) I back off too

I'd love for Kelly & Fasion & His Father In-law to come on here & give him Free Speech without any impunity

Could you live with that ?

I believe UND Admin. & Alumni Assn. made it clear to him not to hold to his true feelings & the fact the name is worth living with the Fearful potential sanctions - Peer Pressure & if I was Him (a Great Coach in a Great Program with my contract being negotiated) I back off too

I love for Kelly & Fasion & His Father In-law to come on here & give him Free Speech without any impunity

Nothing he ever says will convince you that he has changed his mind. You are so focused on the possibility of losing the "magic" name that you can't believe that others have finally realized the truth that the name needs to be retired. And since you have already proven that you won't honor your word, I'm not surprised by your lack of vision.

I believe UND Admin. & Alumni Assn. made it clear to him not to hold to his true feelings & the fact the name is worth living with the Fearful potential sanctions - Peer Pressure & if I was Him (a Great Coach in a Great Program with my contract being negotiated) I back off too

I love for Kelly & Fasion & His Father In-law to come on here & give him Free Speech without any impunity

And how exactly did they force him to give up on his convictions? He's a great coach who could've gotten a job anywhere. I don't believe he wouldn't have compromised his beliefs purely from "peer pressure." More likely, he realized the battle was lost and it was time to move on. Perhaps he realized that he, his assistants, and his players (along with the coaches and players of all the other athletic teams at the school) are more important than a nickname and logo.

Listen to Dave Hakstol for yourself:

http://www.fightings...TCLID=205380595

"It will likely diminish our hockey program over time."

Not "could be", Hakstol says "likely".

If UND kept the name: "We would win a singular battle ... but, really, if we choose that path we lose control over so many key issues ... be at the mercy of others ... " <-- This precisely explains where the pragmatist Dave Hakstol is at.

And Hak does state his personal opinion in the press conference, but comes to the pragmatic answer.

Listen. Learn.

"But remember, Hakstol was "forced by the administration" to change his opinion. Some people can't comprehend that the sanctions are actually going to be a major issue for every sport, and the athletic department in total"

you edited out the truth again "Could Be

"But remember, Hakstol was "forced by the administration" to change his opinion. Some people can't comprehend that the sanctions are actually going to be a major issue for every sport, and the athletic department in total"

you edited out the truth again "Could Be

No, the truth is that the sanctions WILL BE a major issue for the UND athletic department.

Try actually thinking about it for a change. If the NCAA didn't think that the sanctions would have a significant effect on the athletic program, why would they put those sanctions in place to force schools to follow their wishes? Even the NCAA believes that the sanctions will be significant on programs.

• Upvote 1

Hakstol's press conference (linked above):

" ... insurmountable challenges for some of our programs ... "

"I don't see any way that the University of North Dakota can become a fully successful Division I entity across all sports if we continue to mandate by law the use of the 'Fighting Sioux'. Simply put, in my opinion, it will likely diminish our hockey program over time, possibly slowly over time, but also in my opinion, I think it would be extremely damaging to all of the other sports on our campus in the future."

• Upvote 1

Hakstol's press conference (linked above):

" ... insurmountable challenges for some of our programs ... "

"I don't see any way that the University of North Dakota can become a fully successful Division I entity across all sports if we continue to mandate by law the use of the 'Fighting Sioux'. Simply put, in my opinion, it will likely diminish our hockey program over time, possibly slowly over time, but also in my opinion, I think it would be extremely damaging to all of the other sports on our campus in the future."

No posting of direct quotes allowed unless you only use a couple of words out of context to make your point in favor of keeping the name at all costs. ;)

• Upvote 1

Some may need help with this quote from Dave's press conference. I've bolded the tricky words.

entity: The total Athletic Department, not just hockey.

campus: Where the University of North Dakota has existed, does exist, and will continue to exist, in Grand Forks, no matter the moniker used in the past, present, or future.

And one more ...

University of North Dakota: an institution that educates students and does nationally and internationally recognized reseach. It also has an athletic department with some fairly successful programs.

• Upvote 1

"Division I entity across all sports " maybe we should of had a D1 or D2 vote to - If folks would have thought d1 would remove the name we would stay D2

Some may need help with this quote from Dave's press conference. I've bolded the tricky words.

entity: The total Athletic Department, not just hockey.

campus: Where the University of North Dakota has existed, does exist, and will continue to exist, in Grand Forks, no matter the moniker used in the past, present, or future.

Is there something on campus besides hockey? :whistling::hypocrite:

"Division I entity across all sports " maybe we should of had a D1 or D2 vote to - If folks would have thought d1 would remove the name we would stay D2

The same thing happened in Division I, Division II and Division III. It is across all divisions of the NCAA. The change in division had absolutely nothing to do with the name change.

Ah yes because then UND could be in a conference with great local schools like Minot, Crookston, and UMary.....

It did at the time & especially to SBOHE & all the flip floping with Presidents & AD's & prior to Mr Engelstads death then the summit flip flop & now Big sky

The NCAA is Division I, II, and III. UND would face these sanctions in any NCAA division. They apply to NCAA members at all levels.

If you don't want those sanctions you have to go outside the NCAA.

Ah yes because then UND could be in a conference with great local schools like Minot, Crookston, and UMary.....

No, those are NCAA DII and DIII schools.

NCAA sanctions still apply. They could shun UND because of the moniker.