SiouxSports.com Forum

BCS 4-Team Playoff coming in 2014

After years of pure stupidity and nonsense, the head honchos of the Bull Crap Series have finally caved in to public demands for a playoff system for NCAA FBS Football.

Conference commissioners left a meeting last month with a mandate to develop a four-team playoff starting at the end of the 2014 regular season, once the current Bowl Championship Series contract expires.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock said 11 conference commissioners - plus the Notre Dame athletic director - were told to present options to their leagues at conference meetings.

http://azstarnet.com...d445a88de0.html

Some of my fellow playoff hounds think this doesn't go far enough, but I think it's a big, big step in the right direction. I've been waiting years for this development and I for one will not look this gift horse in the mouth.

Sure, four teams is a very small sample, but I think it is all but inevitable that this number will go up in the future. As soon as the bean counters get a taste of the tremendous money-making potential of a true tournament, they will be pushing to have more and more teams in it, and all the political and legal crap will be pushed aside.

2014 can't come soon enough! :)

Otherwise ... it will turn into a 32 team event, not right away but within 15 years.

No way. That would destroy college footbalss regular season and wreck all the big money conference championship games. Plus the playoffs would go on for far too long.

I've always been a proponent of 8 team bc that would mean each conference champ and one or two at large. But in all honesty last year you'd have a hard time coming up with 8 teams that were truly worthy.

No way. That would destroy college footbalss regular season and wreck all the big money conference championship games. Plus the playoffs would go on for far too long. I've always been a proponent of 8 team bc that would mean each conference champ and one or two at large. But in all honesty last year you'd have a hard time coming up with 8 teams that were truly worthy.

I didn't say I liked the idea. I just think the top of D-1 football is tired of being exploited by the big bowls, and to destroy them means inviting a lot of teams to a playoff. Four is not sustainable. Eight is not sustainable.

Div 1-AA started at 4 in 1978, and is now at 24, on its way to 32.