SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana football bans Twitter

darell1976

http://www.egriz.com...l-bans-twitter/

In a somewhat shocking yet completely understandable action, the Montana Grizzly Football players are no longer allowed to use Twitter while a member of the team. The source of the banning isn’t quite clear as I’ve heard rumors that it was the coaches decision as well as rumors that it was a collective decision of the Seniors on the football team.

Because both Towson and Stony Brook were participating in the FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) championships at the time of the tweet, it was considered championship misconduct, the release explained.

I wonder if UND would do this, just to prevent what happened during the playoffs last year.

What's next, no Facebook? No texting from cellphones? No cellphones at all? ???

The technological world isn't going away because some people wish it would. You can't sequester all your student-athletes for five years, this isn't the OJ Simpson Trial. If Montana loses kids over this, I won't feel sorry for them. In fact, I hope they make a trip to Grand Forks, ND. :)

In a word: No.

In more than a word: We were actually discussing this very story in our office this morning. Our philosophy is to encourage social media use among our student-athletes. It's on us as administrators to educate them how to use it properly, rather than just punish them when they use it improperly. We accept that there will be slip-ups along the way (and there certainly have been), but when you are dealing with 400 student-athletes, that's a fact of life that isn't exclusive to social media.

Thanks Jayson for your info!!

I would imagine a lot of athletes love to tweet. How far down the list would tweeting have to be for this to be a negative to some recruits for Montana? I'm guessing it would only be a very rare occasion it might effect a decision.