SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts from an Outsider

Tex2016

Hey Sioux fans.

As you can tell, I'm from Texas and wanted to weigh in on the name controversy.

Although I can't say I'm as attached to the situation as you folks yet, I do have some skin in the game, as I plan on attending UND starting this fall to pursue a second degree. (Geology)

The Fighting Sioux name certainly conjures up all sorts of images in my mind. None of which really involve an overtly aggressive Native American tribe as many suggest. The name has become so synonymous with the University that I don't even think twice about it. For me, the Fighting Sioux name is not much different than seeing "the Fighting Irish" of Notre Dame. The Fighting Sioux name, whether you like it or not, is still the identity of the University.

That said, it's not too difficult to see why so many people are upset over the name's use. The words themselves imply an aggressive (or perhaps defensive, depending on your point of view) Native American people, which of course isn't the case any more. After all, one could call any Native American tribe something like that and it would have been at least half-true maybe 150-170 years ago, back when our country was set on Manifest Destiny at nearly any cost. Who can blame the Sioux (or any tribe) for defending their land? As a self-described redneck, I can tell you I would put up a fight if the government knocked on my door and told me that I didn't own my land anymore.

In my opinion, the Fighting Sioux name has been taken out of context. Where many see the Fighting Sioux name to be offensive or derogatory, I see the name as an honoring of a proud people willing to fight for what was rightfully theirs. It is also my opinion that if the name is changed, the University will have trouble re-establishing a new identity. However, life will go on, regardless of the name...and although I wholeheartedly love the Fighting Sioux tradition and would prefer the name to remain, I understand why some people want it changed. I can only imagine how badly PETA and the like would have fought my current school (Texas Tech) if we had remained the Matadors instead of changing over to the Red Raiders.

I understand that this, being my first post here, is not likely to make myself any friends here, especially considering the touchy nature of this topic. I do not intend to step on anyone's toes here, and if I have, I wholeheartedly apologize. I simply want to see the tradition that I have known growing up to continue on. Although I have no formal ties to the University yet, I have always enjoyed watching UND hockey (I've played hockey for quite some time now, and was lucky enough to see the 2009 Final Five qualifier against Duluth at the X, as well as many others on TV out here). UND hockey has a very unique tradition...one that, in my opinion, is second to none in the college hockey world. It will be a shame to lose the tradition (if it happens), but as I said, life will go on. The Ralph should still fill up every game, and UND should still attract the top players. I simply wish it didn't have to go this way.

As I said, I don't intend on making any enemies here, just thought I would weigh in. And please forgive me if my ignorance is showing here.

Just thought I would weigh in.

I hope you don't all run me off! :lol:

Go UND and Go Sioux!

Tex

I can only imagine how badly PETA and the like would have fought my current school (Texas Tech) if we had remained the Matadors instead of changing over to the Red Raiders.

Texas Tech was something other than the Red Raiders? That I did not know.

Texas Tech was something other than the Red Raiders? That I did not know.

Way back in the day....back in the '30s (we've only been around since 1923, which is quite young in terms of universities). But since it happened about 80 years ago, most of the outside world doesn't know this. Our school song is still "The Matador Song". Wonder if UND could keep at least a few Sioux traditions around like we did...?

Can't imagine that a well thought-out and well written first post like yours would upset many here. Your sentiments are reflected in many, many posts. We want to keep the name, but the NCAA is making it impossible to keep it without huge risks. Life will go on. Many of us will always think of UND's athletic teams as the Sioux, no matter what the new name ends up being. We also still have hope that the Spirit Lake lawsuit will have the right outcome (against insurmountable odds). Welcome, Tex.