SiouxSports.com Forum

Baseball 2012

GeauxSioux

There is a possibility that we could hear something today (wednesday). It appears UNC will be joining the WAC as a baseball affiliate. I guess we will see if UND is also invited.

Jason Erickson ‏ @ JEricksonWAC

# WAC baseball news coming Wednesday morning

Robert Hawkins ‏ @ RobHawk45

Your UNC bears baseball is gonna be playing in the # WAC next year. # dabearsss

Just looked it up. The Summit League only has six teams (NDSU, SDSU, Omaha, W Ill, Fort Wayne, Oakland), so they almost have to add UND in baseball just to provide a cushion. The Summit League lost Oral Roberts and Southern Utah in that sport. Denver, USD, Kansas City, and IUPUI don't play baseball.

I just looked at that lacrosse thread. While lacrosse probably makes a lot more sense for UND than baseball, this whole conference movement thing can really mess things up.

With the Big Ten adding Maryland and Rutgers, that means Michigan and Ohio State might be forced into a Big Ten lacrosse league if another Big Ten school starts lacrosse. (Penn State in in the A10 for lacrosse so it just needs one more team.)

Denver used to have these teams in its league:

Notre Dame, Ohio St, Michigan, Loyola (defending champion), Air Force, Hobart, Bellarmine, Fairfield

With the changes to the Big Ten and ACC, Denver could really be screwed every which way, as their league could be down to these teams and lose its autobid:

Denver

Air Force

Hobart

Bellarmine

Fairfield

Maybe if a PAC10 team or two joined, then it would make a lot more sense.

I used to be a proponent of Lacrosse. But I haven't been as excited about it in recent years. If baseball can't get into the WAC or Summit, I think it should be dropped and those resources diverted to basketball, football, or what-have-you..............

Actually, I feel it should be dropped regardless of conference affilitation. I just don't think it makes much sense in our locale. It was different in the NCC days when most of the opponents were a short drive away. Even Summit affiliation would provide questionable at best travel and weather conditions................