SiouxSports.com Forum

Changes to recruiting in college hockey?

The Sicatoka

http://ndgoon.blogsp...bal-verbal.html

Schlossman's article is no longer available, but there are quotes from the article in Goon's recap.

Thanks for that. I'm going to have to admit, i'm not on Lucia's side on this one. Although it likely won't benefit Minnesota much at all, i'm all for college hockey allowing CHL players to be recruited. Especially if they haven't played any NHL games.

I agree with the notion of allowing a kid to play college hockey after signing with a CHL team. Then again, college hockey doesn't make the NC$$ the money that basketball and football does.....they'll be fine with the status quo....

A kid from my hometown just signed a deal with a WHL team and he's only a Sophomore in high school. 16 years old and he's lost his amateur status....It could end up going really well for the kid, but at the same time what happens to him if he plays half a season, fizzles out, or gets hurt?

What does the CHL do in cases of severe injuries? I know they'll pay for a kids college for years completed in their league, but if you play two games and have a career ending injury, what do they do?

Wonder if the other Lamoureux brother ever regrets playing for Red Deer and losing his college eligibility. I think he ended up playing for the Manitoba Bisons and I believe now is some graduate assistant or something at UND.

As was explained to you on a different board, Lucia doesn't like how kids are verbally committing to programs at such an early age. I don't think he is in favor of stealing recruits from smaller programs at the 11th hour.

Yes, I'm sure his motives are as pure as the driven snow. If he is so concerned about it, why doesn't he keep all of those early commits he has on scholarship? Or is this another example of supporting someone in name only, not in deed?

So, you don't have proof?

dude, i'm not trying to be a richard here, it's something i heard him say in an interview. his stance is that he wishes the gentleman's agreement would go away because of all the early commitments--kids change their mind from the age of 15 to 18 years old. obviously, he could benefit from it more so than lose recruits to other teams.

if you don't think he'd steal a recruit from a smaller school at the 11th hour, i want what you're smoking. It's everyone for themselves.

• Upvote 1

As was explained to you on a different board, Lucia doesn't like how kids are verbally committing to programs at such an early age. I don't think he is in favor of stealing recruits from smaller programs at the 11th hour.

Of course he's not.. :silly:

dude, i'm not trying to be a richard here, it's something i heard him say in an interview. his stance is that he wishes the gentleman's agreement would go away because of all the early commitments--kids change their mind from the age of 15 to 18 years old. obviously, he could benefit from it more so than lose recruits to other teams.

if you don't think he'd steal a recruit from a smaller school at the 11th hour, i want what you're smoking. It's everyone for themselves.

Yeah that must be some good stuff. What's also funny is how some fans of other programs are suggesting that Hakstol lacks ethics is all of a sudden going for going after the "smaller teams" recruits if UND loses a blue chipper to the CHL. Last time I checked UND is a relatively small school compared to a lot of schools in Division I hockey.

There is no proof out there what-so-ever that the UND coach would do that. I guess people don't think that the UND coaches are capable of finding another player. Some of these people need to get over their hatred of everything UND. First off I don't see UND competing with MSU-M or MTU for hockey recruits.

I don't think UND is going to lose a recruit they are recruiting to one of these teams very often. I see them losing a recruit to DU, UMD, UMN, Michigan, BU, B.C., UW...

Edited by Goon

Just like you don't think this doesn't have anything to do with taking recruits from small schools, Goon? Are you that sure about this too?

I think it's funny how some clueless fans are suggesting that now the evil UND head coach Dave Hakstol aka Lucifer, while giving everyone the middle finger, is going to start poaching the have not teams star recruits, more specifically that he is going to comb through the recruit lists of the non like minded schools and poach their recruits.

I guess we better fore warn MTU, MSU-M and BSU beware Hak's on the prowl, no recruit is safe and out of bounds... Hakstol is going to come to steal your teams recruits.

Are you fricken kidding me?

Here is the kicker... Now if I am reading everything that the Gopher fans have spewed over on USCHO, some how Saint Lucia is above the fray, albeit against the verbal rule, but is some how is more pious than Hakstol. And doesn't want to recruit the other teams prized recruits that he covets... Seriously, you can't believe what you shovel? You don't think that Lucia didn't want another chance to sway Danny Kristo or Nick Mattson on going to the Goofs?

You have to be drunk, high or both. There is no evidence that Hakstol would do this. In 8 years of coaching I know of no case where he has been accused of this.

The most Hilarious thing I read in the last couple of days is some Jack Bag suggested that UND stop recruiting the Canadians or have a limit of how many of they can recruit... The only thing is the two players that they lost to the CHL were Americans and played on the USDT under 18 teams. I guess maybe they recruit too many Americans...

• Upvote 1

The most Hilarious thing I read in the last couple of days is some Jack Bag suggested that UND stop recruiting the Canadians or have a limit of how many of they can recruit... The only thing is the two players that they lost to the CHL were Americans and played on the USDT under 18 teams. I guess maybe they recruit too many Americans...

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!! Yeah, quit recruiting the best players from Canada because it's unfair or something? Maybe each Minnesota school should only be allowed to recruit so many from MN to make all things fair. UND has always recruits have always been Canada heavy and UMTC is well.. UMTC. That's one of the reasons both the teams hate each other so much. it's great. :)

• Upvote 1

I think it's funny how some clueless fans are suggesting that now the evil UND head coach Dave Hakstol aka Lucifer, while giving everyone the middle finger, is going to start poaching the have not teams star recruits, more specifically that he is going to comb through the recruit lists of the non like minded schools and poach their recruits.

I guess we better fore warn MTU, MSU-M and BSU beware Hak's on the prowl, no recruit is safe and out of bounds... Hakstol is going to come to steal your teams recruits.

Are you fricken kidding me?

Here is the kicker... Now if I am reading everything that the Gopher fans have spewed over on USCHO, some how Saint Lucia is above the fray, albeit against the verbal rule, but is some how is more pious than Hakstol. And doesn't want to recruit the other teams prized recruits that he covets... Seriously, you can't believe what you shovel? You don't think that Lucia didn't want another chance to sway Danny Kristo or Nick Mattson on going to the Goofs?

You have to be drunk, high or both. There is no evidence that Hakstol would do this. In 8 years of coaching I know of no case where he has been accused of this.

Hey now, before you get defensive and start putting words in my mouth, I never even brought up Hakstol's name. My comment was specifically directed towards Goon for something he specifically said.

Hey now, before you get defensive and start putting words in my mouth, I never even brought up Hakstol's name. My comment was specifically directed towards Goon for something he specifically said.

Didn't mean to refer to you in the third person. You said this has nothing to do with poaching recruits from smaller schools, and it has everything to do with that.

Why are you talking to me in the second or third person?

Why are you talking to me in the second or third person?

I didn't see it was you that posted that originally, and I can't figure out how to edit my post :)

Seriously though, don't you think this would be another kick in the nuts to the small programs in college hockey who were already hurt by the conference realignment? As a Gopher fan, I'm sure it would help my team, but I can't help but wonder at what price to the overall health of college hockey?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/2012/02/08/king_ncaa_chl/

They're trying to paint Hakstol as the bad guy, but really, isn't the core problem here the NCAA rule that claims a 16 year old who plays one game against a 20 year old who played one game in the NHL is now a professional.

The problem is the NCAA rule.

If a kid hasn't reached age 19 yet, and hasn't signed a professional contract, so what if he's played in the CHL.