SiouxSports.com Forum

Water Bottle Game turns 30

GeauxSioux

Dubious anniversary upcoming for UND, Wisconsin

The teams have played for MacNaughton Cups, Broadmoor Trophies and even a national title, but one incident that occurred at the Dane County Coliseum has, over the years, defined the rivalry more than anything else.

Cary Eades rarely goes a week without someone asking about the Water Bottle Game, which will turn 30 years old on Monday

I can't believe 30 years have already passed. I'm sure nearly everyone knows the story, but in case you don't, here is the Youtube of the incident,,,

Thanks for posting these GeauxSioux . . . . . One of the most famous, or infamous, moments in the storied history of the greatest greatest program in the greatest league of the greatest game ever played. The Fighting Sioux. The WCHA. And college hockey. Should be another barn burner tonight. And, as I have long said, the only thing better than a Friday night in the WCHA is a Saturday night in the WCHA. Certainly, the fans at Dane were treated to much that night. I went to many a WCHA game in those days, and still do. Sadly, I was not at Dane that night.

...and North Dakota has done it again! :)

That badger call of the incident is awesome to listen too, it makes me laugh so hard each time. Hoe awesome would it be to have that whole oncident in HD.

The Archibald storming back with a flying right donkey punch is classic. And the troopers pulling people apart.............what goes through a guys head when he looks up to the state police una hockey fight. Classic old time hockey.

That badger call of the incident is awesome to listen too, it makes me laugh so hard each time. Hoe awesome would it be to have that whole oncident in HD.

The Archibald storming back with a flying right donkey punch is classic. And the troopers pulling people apart.............what goes through a guys head when he looks up to the state police una hockey fight. Classic old time hockey.

I don't remember where I read it but the Sioux were missing a couple of their guys due to injury during this game...Dachyshyn and Brennan maybe? There was a comment that the brawl would still be going had those boys been there... And wasn't Eddie Schultz gonna 'bop that bozo'?

Also, I would love to see picture/video of Eades holding the Natl Championship trophy in front of the UW fans Just weeks later.

Great commentary by Ed "Mad Dog" Schultz on this version.

Oh yeah, that's Ed Schultz getting that nickname, "Mad Dog" from that game. He said, "I'm mad as a dog!" talking about some Wisconsin fans, then said he was going to bop that bozo! After that, he'd walk up the steps to the announcer's booth at the old REA and we'd chant, "Mad dog! mad dog! mad dog!" Yeah, he didnt like that... Well, it was almost as fun as the "Adelson, Adelson, Adelson....SUCKS!" chant for Fargo's channel 4 sportscaster Jim Adelson.

We didn't like the Fargo media coming in and announcing the UND hockey games. (I especially hated listening to Adelson say the "ball" was being passed between players during a UND hockey game!) Pretty provincial attitude, but that's the way it was.

I was at a UND/Wisc game back in the 80's when someone hung a dead badger in the rafters and pulled the string at some point during the game and badger swung down from the rafters right in front of Adelson in the press box. At least that is the way my feeble mind remembers it.

Oh yeah, that's Ed Schultz getting that nickname, "Mad Dog" from that game. He said, "I'm mad as a dog!" talking about some Wisconsin fans, then said he was going to bop that bozo! After that, he'd walk up the steps to the announcer's booth at the old REA and we'd chant, "Mad dog! mad dog! mad dog!" Yeah, he didnt like that... Well, it was almost as fun as the "Adelson, Adelson, Adelson....SUCKS!" chant for Fargo's channel 4 sportscaster Jim Adelson.

We didn't like the Fargo media coming in and announcing the UND hockey games. (I especially hated listening to Adelson say the "ball" was being passed between players during a UND hockey game!) Pretty provincial attitude, but that's the way it was.

Don't forget the classic "Ed shot his dog!" chant.

I was at a UND/Wisc game back in the 80's when someone hung a dead badger in the rafters and pulled the string at some point during the game and badger swung down from the rafters right in front of Adelson in the press box. At least that is the way my feeble mind remembers it.

I think it showed up on TV too!

I don't remember where I read it but the Sioux were missing a couple of their guys due to injury during this game...Dachyshyn and Brennan maybe? There was a comment that the brawl would still be going had those boys been there... And wasn't Eddie Schultz gonna 'bop that bozo'?

Also, I would love to see picture/video of Eades holding the Natl Championship trophy in front of the UW fans Just weeks later.

Dano was there and got suspended. They copy I have of the fight on tape is longer than the youtube ones. Mine has Mad Dog saying pop that bozo.