SiouxSports.com Forum

New IT Center

GeauxSioux

I remember seeing the IT Center get approved during last years session of the legislature. It popped in my head the other day, as to the status of the project. Question answered....

Plans for the new information technology center at UND are close to completion and the facility should be soon ready to accept bids from builders, members of the State Board of Higher Education learned during a conference call Thursday.

The joint project of the North Dakota University System and UND, expected to cost about $15.5 million, would better serve the information technology needs of the system’s 11 campuses.

The project has two components, an estimated 36,000-square-foot office building for about 160 employees tentatively slated for the west end of campus, just west of 42nd Street, and a data center to be housed in UND’s Central Receiving building, at the south edge of campus by the railroad tracks.

I remember seeing the IT Center get approved during last years session of the legislature. It popped in my head the other day, as to the status of the project. Question answered....

Do you know anything about the current setup? e.g. Does this involve the transfer of some existing distributed IT/jobs to UND, or are those functions already centralized but just getting a new building?

Do you know anything about the current setup? e.g. Does this involve the transfer of some existing distributed IT/jobs to UND, or are those functions already centralized but just getting a new building?

The jobs are not currently centralized. Each campus handles its own IT. Some of the IT jobs will probably stay where they are, and some will probably transfer. For instance, a lot of the current UND IT is located in a basement in one of the buildings on campus, but I don't think that all of UND's IT is centrally located right now. The original plan included some excess capacity that could be sold to outside companies, I don't know if that is part of the current plan. The thought was that some of the UAS companies may be interested in the service. They also hoped to leave room for an additional building in the future as needs increase.

• 2 weeks later...