SiouxSports.com Forum

DII TV

Smoggy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To follow up on what Sandram was saying earlier, here's a link to the article in the Florence TimesDaily, if anybody is interested.

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../312030327/1011

The Huntsville NBC affiliate is going to carry the game, not the WB station as was rumored yesterday. J.D. Byars works as a reporter for them.

Classy move by UND and your broadcast team, letting J.D. be a part of the broadcast. We really appreciate you guys helping us out and getting us the feed down here. It's been a while since I've watched the Lions on TV, so that should make the game even better.

Good luck Sioux, and Go Lions!!

Chris H. in Florence, AL

I find it hard to believe your team has only appeared on television a total of 22 times. wow

Well, you have to understand, for a long time there were only two teams in this state that anybody cared about, Alabama and Auburn. That's what the media would have you believe, anyway. I don't think there's much truth in that though, because UNA, Troy State, Jacksonville State, etc... all of those programs have had good teams for years, and would draw plenty of fans.

Another problem for UNA, Florence and the Shoals area rely on the Huntsville stations for our television coverage (Huntsville is about 60 miles east). Unfortunately, the Huntsville media doesn't care at all about UNA. If they have to cover a school besides 'Bama or AU, it's going to be Alabama A&M (in Huntsville) or Alabama-Huntsville (y'all might know them, since they play hockey :) ). AAMU hasn't had a good football team in years, and UAH doesn't even play. So why they can't devote more time to UNA football is beyond me. Heck, they'd rather show highlights of their crappy NBDL team than UNA, a team that averages about 80 people showing up to watch them, per game.

Hopefully, the ratings for this weekend's game will be off the charts, and H'ville media will get their heads out of their collective a$$es, and start covering more games. But I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck Sioux, and Go Lions!!!

Chris H. in Florence, AL

The Huntsville NBC affiliate has its brodcasts carried by the same satellite that the Fighting Sioux Sports Network uses (Galaxy 3C). I wonder if this had any bearing on the decision by the Huntsville station? By the way, for those of you non-plussed by the Sioux going to a digital signal, the Huntsville NBC feed is also digital. A link to the programming for this satellite is below, for anyone interested in trying to get the game (the FSSN frequency is 12041).

Galaxy 3C programming

Has it been officially announced in Grand Forks that they will be televising the game? I haven't heard anything and today's herald shows the game would only be on radio. Just think that it is funny that WDAZ is going to televise the game, but hasn't released this information to the public up here because they don't want to hurt ticket sales or something.

Thanks to our Alabama guys for blowing this up in their face.

The satellite part of the FSSN really frustrates me. You can only pick up the signal if you have one of those big satellites, but nobody has those anymore. They need to get the signal out there on DirecTV and Dish Network if they want  anybody to actually see what they're broadcasting.

Actually, no you do not need to have a big dish. You can use a small dish as it is Ku band. You can get the equipment you need brand new for as little as a couple hundred bucks. Dish Network and DirecTV, from what I understand, are very difficult to get on. I'm pretty sure they'd never be interested in a part time network like FSSN. Right now, after you've gotten the right equipment, you can watch the feeds for free, whereas if the games were on Dish Net or DirecTV, you have to pay a monthly fee for their services, and, if it were available, most certainly a premium package fee in order to get the games you want. Right now I've got mine set up so that I can watch FSSN off satellite and still have cable on all the other channels.

If memory serves me correct didn't (NBC-11 Fargo) do the UC-Davis game in 2001? Highest bidder?

It's all about the Benny's! ;):huh:

IMHO the TV rights should be sold AFTER 10,000 seats have been sold! :D

No "real" D1 Men's Ice Hockey game this weekend!

So FIGHTING SIOUX Football should get all the undivided attention it deserves!!!!! :):D

Let's GO SIOUUUUUUX!!! :)

If memory serves me correct didn't (NBC-11 Fargo) do the UC-Davis game in 2001? Highest bidder?

It's all about the Benny's! ;):huh:

No "real" D1 Men's Ice Hockey game this weekend!

So FIGHTING SIOUX Football should get all the undivided attention it deserves!!!!! :):D

Let's GO SIOUUUUUUX!!! :)

You are correct, KVLY-11 did broadcast the UC-Davis game in 2001.

Haven't heard as of yet, but was just at the Alerus picking up tickets for some friends and there were a lot of people getting tickets.

I heard on the basketball post-game show last night that ticket sales have been going very well, and that they are expecting a crowd much bigger than the Pitt St. and Winona St. games. Hopefully, at least in the 11,000 to 12,000 range. If that turns out to be true, the total attendance for the three 2003 playoff games will be almost identical to the total attendance for the three 2001 playoff games.

I heard on the basketball post-game show last night that ticket sales have been going very well, and that they are expecting a crowd much bigger than the Pitt St. and Winona St. games. Hopefully, at least in the 11,000 to 12,000 range. If that turns out to be true, the total attendance for the three 2003 playoff games will be almost identical to the total attendance for the three 2001 playoff games.

11000-12000 would really make it an awesome atmosphere

It's all about the Benny's! :D:huh:

The NCAA has final decision over whether the game will be televised so RT couldn't wait til 10K tickets were sold.. the other hot rumor is that KVLY outbid WDAZ... but WDAZ was allowed to rebid

I'm thinking of the future here, so do you only pick up FSSN or do other signals automatically come through without having to punch in coordinates. Just wondering what else would be on it to watch.

Not sure how much interest there is in this topic, but I'll ramble anyway. If others think this should be taken elsewhere, I have no problem with answering additional messages off board. I should remind everyone that I am by no means an expert, but I'm more than willing to share what I've learned through the process of getting my own system.

You need to have the frequency and symbol rate (at least for my receiver) in order to get other feeds off the same satellite. This is really pretty simple to do. Of course the signal (for a digital receiver) must be digital and unscrambled, unless you have the means to unscramble it (more hardware). Galaxy 3C has 3 or 4 chinese feeds as well as (it seems) all the local affiliates for Huntsville, Alabama. Everything else is analog, scrambled, or intermittent feeds (like FSSN). Strangely, it would appear that this Saturday, of the 10 or so feeds I can watch from this satellite, 2 will be for the UND-UNA game. You can also use this same equipment to watch these same kind of feeds (digital & unscrambled) on other satellites, but you have to change the direction that the dish is pointed in order to do this. I have found pointing the dish in the right direction to be the most difficult part of the whole process, so I just leave mine always pointing at Galaxy 3C. I already have cable, so I'm not really counting on the dish to pick up anything but FSSN. If you want to be able to repoint the dish to various satellites with minimum hassle, you can get an additional piece of hardware called a "dish mover". Additional hardware means of course additional $ (and additional hassle, as there is more equipment that must now be maintained).

There better be. If we could get it as loud as the UCD game was, it would be great. UNA would probably have at least 5 false starts jsut because of that.

For what it's worth: Crowd noise could be a factor, but UNA uses all visual signals for playcalling and does not use a snap count. QB raises his leg in the shotgun for the center to snap the ball.

Sandram