SiouxSports.com Forum

Win and they will come

darell1976

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

UND is averaging 8515 with only Drake and DII BHSU

Last year UND had 8154 at home.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/d47a560045aad7aab88ffc9080650d5b/2010_Attendance.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=d47a560045aad7aab88ffc9080650d5b

Its a good sign with Cal Poly coming up in 2 weeks from Saturday.

I think besides winning, getting better competition in with admission to the Big Sky will be a huge factor in getting people in. A NAIA school will not have near the draw Montana State will.

Its possible that next years Potato Bowl could see Central Arkansas or Cal Poly....its been years since we have had a good opponent in the Potato Bowl. There is no Crookston or Black Hills State anymore. Attendance may be low in 2012 for the opener against SD Mines, but then the next home game is with UCA, and there better be 12,000+ screaming in that dome.

I think besides winning, getting better competition in with admission to the Big Sky will be a huge factor in getting people in. A NAIA school will not have near the draw Montana State will.

I agree that attendance is based on both winning and the caliber of opponents. For a time, you can probably get by on one or the other, as we saw in 2008 (record attendance despite a terrible home schedule). But eventually, people will find other things to do on Saturdays if the product on the field isn't a good one. If the type of football we saw at Fresno and SUU continues, I believe the vastly improved home schedule next year will translate into much larger crowds.

I agree that attendance is based on both winning and the caliber of opponents. For a time, you can probably get by on one or the other, as we saw in 2008 (record attendance despite a terrible home schedule). But eventually, people will find other things to do on Saturdays if the product on the field isn't a good one. If the type of football we saw at Fresno and SUU continues, I believe the vastly improved home schedule next year will translate into much larger crowds.

2009 NDSU went 3-8 but had an average crowd of 16,515. UND had an average attendance of 8539 but had a 6-5 record. I think its more quality opponents than records. UND hosted USD, Stony Brook, Sioux Falls, Cal Poly and Southern Oregon. NDSU hosted Wagner, Illinois St, UNI, Missouri State, and YSU. I cannot wait to stop playing to lower level teams and get more FCS teams.

2009 NDSU went 3-8 but had an average crowd of 16,515. UND had an average attendance of 8539 but had a 6-5 record. I think its more quality opponents than records. UND hosted USD, Stony Brook, Sioux Falls, Cal Poly and Southern Oregon. NDSU hosted Wagner, Illinois St, UNI, Missouri State, and YSU. I cannot wait to stop playing to lower level teams and get more FCS teams.

In the past, UND would automatically get over 10,000 for the Potato Bowl even though the opponent was often very weak. This year, it didn't happen. The reason? Disappointing 2009 and 2010 seasons.

NDSU had a good average attendance in 2009 based upon the previous few seasons. I'm not saying the caliber of the home schedule is irrelevant, but it's much easier to overlook when the team is doing well. UND lost its momentum in 2009 and 2010. It can, and probably will be regained, but it will take a few more good wins, and then we'll probably see the fruits next season. If by chance UND goes into the tank the rest of this season, then I suspect attendance still won't be back to 2008 levels next year even with an excellent home schedule.

• Upvote 1

Winning is the most important factor to attendance. If we had been 9-2 last year, the opener against Drake and the Black Hills game would have had 10,000+. NDSU did have good attendance in 2009, but it was still a drop of about 2,000 per game from 2007 & 2008 because they were crappy in 2009. Sure, there should be alot of hype when Montana or Montana St. comes to town, but IMO the average candidate to attend Sioux football games won't distinguish much between Weber St. and Montana-Western.

I worry that that this weekend's game against Montana-Western won't even crack 7,000 with it being opening weekend for hockey.

Sadly, I think that the only game this season that has the potential to draw over 10,000 is Cal Poly. It is homecoming, it is a DI opponent, the hockey team is on the road, and we should be 4-2 and coming off of a 40+ point beat down in the previous game.

Unless we are 8-2 going into the season finale against USD, I doubt that game draws even 9,000 since attendance seems to genereally tail off late in the season, and that is the opening weekend for deer hunting........................... ???

Winning is the most important factor to attendance. If we had been 9-2 last year, the opener against Drake and the Black Hills game would have had 10,000+. NDSU did have good attendance in 2009, but it was still a drop of about 2,000 per game from 2007 & 2008 because they were crappy in 2009. Sure, there should be alot of hype when Montana or Montana St. comes to town, but IMO the average candidate to attend Sioux football games won't distinguish much between Weber St. and Montana-Western.

I worry that that this weekend's game against Montana-Western won't even crack 7,000 with it being opening weekend for hockey.

Sadly, I think that the only game this season that has the potential to draw over 10,000 is Cal Poly. It is homecoming, it is a DI opponent, the hockey team is on the road, and we should be 4-2 and coming off of a 40+ point beat down in the previous game.

Unless we are 8-2 going into the season finale against USD, I doubt that game draws even 9,000 since attendance seems to genereally tail off late in the season, and that is the opening weekend for deer hunting........................... ???

This will be the only game there is football and hockey on the same day this year. UND plays Sioux Falls the same day they play at the Gophers. Still hockey is no excuse not to show up, The football game is at 1pm. Its not like that Cal Poly game in 2009 where it was at 4pm on Halloween night.

• 2 weeks later...