SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four Gambling Lines

Doc Holliday

I may be a Gopher fan, but figured Sioux fans would be interested in the gambling lines out on the games tonight (courtesy of bookmaker.com)

UMD -131

Notre Dame +111

Game opened at UMD +110 & Notre Dame -130, which means money coming in on the Bulldogs.

Michigan +170

North Dakota -200

I thought North Dakota coming in would be at least -250/-300.....

-200 means you have to be $200 to win $100 ($300 returned), or $20 to win $10. +170 means you have to wager $100 to win $170 ($270 returned).

Given that the bookmakers are trying to balance the wagering, and because I don't imagine these games bring in a lot of "professional wagering" money, I would think Michigan and Notre Dame would be natural favorites, since they have more alumni than UMD or UND,

In that context, UMD as an underdog is not surprising ... even though KRACH rates them higher.

And I'm surprised that North Dakota is that high. Must be all those Gopher / Badger fans wagering on us. ;)

Given that the bookmakers are trying to balance the wagering, and because I don't imagine these games bring in a lot of "professional wagering" money, I would think Michigan and Notre Dame would be natural favorites, since they have more alumni than UMD or UND,

In that context, UMD as an underdog is not surprising ... even though KRACH rates them higher.

And I'm surprised that North Dakota is that high. Must be all those Gopher / Badger fans wagering on us. ;)

I'm not surprised that the Notre Dame line opened up as it did, but that's a pretty big line shift with UMD a clear "favorite."

Line just went up today on the books. I figured coming in that the Sioux were going to be in the -300 range. I got them at -200, which I think is pretty good value. I think you're right in that it doesn't bring in a lot of "sharps," but I think there can be some money made on college hockey because they don't follow it as much as some of the diehards. Last year, I got Wisconsin at -250 before their semifinal vs. RIT, which I thought was practically stealing. I was right.

Either way, I win. Sioux win, my pocket book gets thicker. If the Sioux lose, the glee coming from the masses in St. Paul will be off the charts. :D

I'm not surprised that the Notre Dame line opened up as it did, but that's a pretty big line shift with UMD a clear "favorite."

Line just went up today on the books. I figured coming in that the Sioux were going to be in the -300 range. I got them at -200, which I think is pretty good value. I think you're right in that it doesn't bring in a lot of "sharps," but I think there can be some money made on college hockey because they don't follow it as much as some of the diehards. Last year, I got Wisconsin at -250 before their semifinal vs. RIT, which I thought was practically stealing. I was right.

Either way, I win. Sioux win, my pocket book gets thicker. If the Sioux lose, the glee coming from the masses in St. Paul will be off the charts. :D

Where did you see those lines today?

The reason I ask is that 5dimes has had them up since last Tuesday and Duluth was a -165 to -175 favorite the entire time. The UND line has been -230 to -260.

UND to win it all opened at -102 which is very telling. Duluth is +282, ND +537, and Michigan +412. That is a large discrepancy and tells you what the linesmakers think of the UND hockey program.

I may be a Gopher fan, but figured Sioux fans would be interested in the gambling lines out on the games tonight (courtesy of bookmaker.com)

UMD -131

Notre Dame +111

Game opened at UMD +110 & Notre Dame -130, which means money coming in on the Bulldogs.

Michigan +170

North Dakota -200

I thought North Dakota coming in would be at least -250/-300.....

-200 means you have to be $200 to win $100 ($300 returned), or $20 to win $10. +170 means you have to wager $100 to win $170 ($270 returned).

That's a huge swing on the UMD game, it takes quite a bit of money bet on one side to move it that far, I wonder if it is respect for Duluth or no confidence in ND?

UND line looks about right, that $170. is just enough to sway some real gamblers into Michigan backers, if I was a Sioux better and it went to $300. I'd just stay away from the game altogether and put more on the other game, betting $300. to get $400. back isn't too appealing.

For those people saying the WCHA is down this year...apparently the experts don't agree.

Where did you see those lines today?

The reason I ask is that 5dimes has had them up since last Tuesday and Duluth was a -165 to -175 favorite the entire time. The UND line has been -230 to -260.

UND to win it all opened at -102 which is very telling. Duluth is +282, ND +537, and Michigan +412. That is a large discrepancy and tells you what the linesmakers think of the UND hockey program.

Bookmaker.com.

Currently, the Sioux are -230 for tonight & Michigan is +190. UMD is -165 & Notre Dame is +145.

This morning when it opened up, the Sioux were -210 & Michigan was +180.

The UMD-Notre Dame opened at UMD +110 & Notre Dame -130. Obviously with how the line is now, a pretty big shift. It almost seems like the site made a mistake with this game. I acted on NoDak first when it was -210, and when I placed it, I was told the line had moved prior to me making the wager to -200 (Umm, yes please). As soon as I finished it, UMD was alread at like -135 to -140 (I forget exactly). It moved that quickly, so it seems they either made a mistake, or some people pounced on it.

I am sure that your wife and children are real pleased and impressed with you as well Doc. Assuming you have the skills to hold a relationship of any form together.

Judging from the crowds at The John this year, you are not all in on that relationship.

Go back to lying under that piece of plywood under the shade in the back woods of your momma's house.

One of the many great things about college hockey, in my opinion anyway, is that they do not take wagers on college hockey except for the tournament.

They are a fool's game. I know. I was once a fool. Clearly, you are a fool too. In many more ways than one.

Go home. To that cool, moist, shady spot under your piece of plywood.