SiouxSports.com Forum

Officiating

dagies

During the Sat. MN game Woog said Schmitt watched the tape of the Friday game and said he'd probably make a different call on the Matt Greene non-goal thing. So they apparently do review tapes, sometimes right away.

Didn't the league or the NCAA recently do a 2 ref 2 lineman experiment? I don't know the outcome of that....

Uh, what? He reffed the BC series this season and if you recall he called 24 penalties Saturday night and 11 Friday night which makes 35 for the weekend. He also called 20 penalties Friday night last season when doing the UND at Denver series. It is hockey, not basketball for crying out loud. He is as whistle happy as they come in the WCHA.

Also, according to the WCHA website Goddard and R. Anderson are already out of reffing, at least in the WCHA.

I do, however, agree that a two-ref system is needed and that Schmidt and Campion are two of the better refs in the league.

I agree if you are talking about Randy Schmidt. He at least keeps up with the play and is usually in good position. Mike Schmitt from Minot is marginal. Campion is good, but Anderson and Adams are brutal. They will call the ticky tack stuff that does not affect the play, but will let go the interference, clutch and hold and mugging, even though many times it is in the offensive zone and has an effect on scoring chances.

During the Sat. MN game Woog said Schmitt watched the tape of the Friday game and said he'd probably make a different call on the Matt Greene non-goal thing. So they apparently do review tapes, sometimes right away.

Didn't the league or the NCAA recently do a 2 ref 2 lineman experiment? I don't know the outcome of that....

You are thinking of Hockey East. They recently installed a similar system to the NHL. Or they are installing it.

Mike Schmitt and R Schmidt are annoying but good refs. I still like Campion the best.

Filling holes? The first guy I would go to is one of Campion's AR's, Carton. He rarely makes bad calls and he's working closely with Campion, which we could use more Campion style officiating in the league. I mean, how often do you see a reffing job where every penalty called you get startled and say "wait a minute. that's not.. no wait.. Yeah, that is a penalty."

Todd Anderson swallowed his whistle during the UMD/BSU series, true, but I have never seen him swallow his whistle in other games. UND/BC was a good example and he did the same thing with Minnesota in Denver I think this season too.

schmidttydogg,

I don't know what the other Anderson's name is and I'm a St.Cloud guy so I didn't get to see the UND-BC series; but I watched him do a couple of SCSU seiries last year and it was like the WWF without pulling the punches both ways. It's a miracle no one was seriously injured. I agree, part of why basketball is so unwatchable (besides the tatoos, potheads, no one can shoot anymore and the game sucks) is because of all of the damn whistles.

NCAA referees and AR's receive tapes of every game they do and are critiqued and sometimes fired.

Sorry, nothing personal. The fact is the games T. Anderson has done involving UND over the last two seasons have been poorly officiated with A LOT of whistles. In each game, he dictated the flow, or better said lack thereof, of the game making them difficult to watch as a fan and I am sure frustrating as a player.

The fact that he has called little or nothing while doing St. Cloud games over the same time period shows he has no consistency whatsoever.

Poor officiating is to be expected, but absolutely horrible officiating is intolerable at this level.

NCAA referees and AR's receive tapes of every game they do and are critiqued and sometimes fired.

If true, my day just got a little brighter--not because they are subject to getting fired, but that they review tapes & are critiqued. Does anyone know in recent times of a WCHA official getting the pink slip for poor job performance?

Just wondering, but perhaps the Sioux players should bring condoms with them on this road trip & give them to the Denver players--they're probably going to have Pioneers riding their a$$es all weekend long.

It'll be interesting & somewhat funny listening to TH complain about all the muggings that will happen this weekend. After all, I think it's a fairly safe bet that Denver will will do a lot of this, what with their depleted defense & all. Now all the Sioux have to do is rise to the occasion & convert on the pp if the refs are gonna call it tight...

You are thinking of Hockey East. They recently installed a similar system to the NHL. Or they are installing it.

Mike Schmitt and R Schmidt are annoying but good refs. I still like Campion the best.

Filling holes? The first guy I would go to is one of Campion's AR's, Carton. He rarely makes bad calls and he's working closely with Campion, which we could use more Campion style officiating in the league. I mean, how often do you see a reffing job where every penalty called you get startled and say "wait a minute. that's not.. no wait.. Yeah, that is a penalty."

Todd Anderson swallowed his whistle during the UMD/BSU series, true, but I have never seen him swallow his whistle in other games. UND/BC was a good example and he did the same thing with Minnesota in Denver I think this season too.

I think dagies is right. I believe in the exhibition or non-conference games a few years ago there were two refs on the ice.

Just wondering, but perhaps the Sioux players should bring condoms with them on this road trip & give them to the Denver players--they're probably going to have Pioneers riding their a$$es all weekend long.

It'll be interesting & somewhat funny listening to TH complain about all the muggings that will happen this weekend. After all, I think it's a fairly safe bet that Denver will will do a lot of this, what with their depleted defense & all. Now all the Sioux have to do is rise to the occasion & convert on the pp if the refs are gonna call it tight...

No THERE is a sign idea that would get canned by the Ralph.

A Big sign with a bunch of condoms stapled to it. The words? "At least you could have given me dinner first!"