SiouxSports.com Forum

Jake Brandt

dagies

As hard as some of us have been on our goaltenders for the last couple of years I think it is only fair to recognize the current state of affairs.

Parise has been solid and has given the team a chance to win every game he's been in.

Ziggy hasn't had much of a chance to play yet.

But Jake Brandt, what can you say? Yes, it is early and 5 games don't make a season but let's recognize the job he's done so far. Here's his line from USCHO stats page

6 Jake Brandt, Jr, UND 5(games) 3-2-0 289:29(minutes) 8(goals) 102(shots) .927 1.66

Ok, He's 3-2. BUT in those 2 losses he's given up 2 goals in each game. Who would start a goalie who gives up only 2 goals in every game? Me....

Blais obviously recognizes that as well from his comments about why he played Jake last Sat in addition to Friday. I'm still for playing Parise and/or Ziggy but at this point I think Brandt needs to be your main guy to see if he can provide that consistency. I mean playing 3 of every 4 games or so.

Jake is really doing the job in nets so far, and props out to him for hanging in there and playing well.

Go Jake!

Here's an interesting thought to ponder.

Brandt's freshman year wasn't so hot, no? I wasn't here so I am assuming so. So Siembida comes in and suddenly the job is up in the air. This puts a lot of pressure on Siembida and Brandt. Brandt survives but Siembida can't hack it and leaves the program. Now this year, it was basically stated that it is Brandt's job to lose with the understanding that Parise and Ziggy would be used sporatically. With this "it is yours unless you lose it" mentality from the coaching staff, do you think this is responsible for his stepping up?

In other words, was the bad play last year partially due to the fact that there was immense pressure on him to out perform Siembida (and vice versa) and now the pressure is off mostly.

Jake's a competitor, plain and simple! I think what I've noticed this year, is he's more "poised", and does not over-commit to plays on the sides of the net, and doesn't slide all the way over to bring himself out of position, leaving a wide open net!

I still say that you go with the upperclassmen, especially in goal! I think he has matured to the point where he is ready to be "the man" in goal! Nothing against the other 2, but I feel more confident when Jake is in there!

I have been a Brandt fan since day one but he has really made some major improvements recently. He is more focused, and steady. Good for him. I hope he takes us all the way to Boston!!!

Another point on Brandt is how good he is with kids from the area. He has an extremelly large following from the young kids in the community. He always has time to stop and talk to them, pop a puck over the glass during warm ups to them, or tap the glass in front of them when he comes out.

While he had some problems in the past, it appears he learned something from it and matured into a really great person. GO JAKE!

I don't know if yall heard the interview on Friday night but Tim interviewed Jake Brandt and he told Tim that he worked hard in the off season to be a better goalie, dealt with some issues, ala pull tabs and is ready for the season. Also, it sounds like Brandt wants to do well and be the man in the nets for UND. I can respect that. Good for him... :silly::0

6 Jake Brandt, Jr, UND 5(games) 3-2-0 289:29(minutes) 8(goals) 102(shots) .927 1.66

Ok, He's 3-2. BUT in those 2 losses he's given up 2 goals in each game. Who would start a goalie who gives up only 2 goals in every game? Me....

If I am not mistaken those are pretty good numbers for the young goaltender. Anything over .900 is pretty good.

Way to go Jake! I never lost faith in you. Since the day I met you I knew you'd grow up to be the #1 at UND...besides anyone who asks me about Karl Goehring when I tell them I'm from Apple Valley will instantly gain my respect.

Glad you pulled through and have put some bad choices behind you!

I must admit I have never been a huge Brandt fan but he has made vast improvements. I would agree right now he is our #1 guy. My only gripe is that he leaves too many rebounds that our defense has to cover. I also hope Blais doesn't loose site of further developing Parise--he is a freshman goalie with wins in his first season against Minnesota Duluth, Boston College, and Minnesota. When you look at the future of Sioux hockey you have to think Parise could play a big role. If you compare where Parise is starting to where Brandt started if he works hard he could end up to be quite a tender. If we are deciding which goaltender should get the start we are in a far better position than last year!

I agree you need to work on goalies for the next season, but Jake is only a Junior! If you have a "go to guy", you need to play him as much as you can. I agree, get Parise some playing time....but am not sure you want to start doing the rotating of goalies at this stage of the game, at least not yet.

Parise will do fine I'm sure, I just don't feel nearly as confident with him in the nets. He needs to watch his puck control.

Bring the other goalies along slowly, and the Sioux will be fine for years to come.

Way to go Jake! I never lost faith in you. Since the day I met you I knew you'd grow up to be the #1 at UND...besides anyone who asks me about Karl Goehring when I tell them I'm from Apple Valley will instantly gain my respect.

Glad you pulled through and have put some bad choices behind you!

"Bad choices behind you" Yup. He did that all last season. Siembida had more "bad choices" though. :silly:

I know this is something that would be very UN-Blais-like but Brandt should be the starting goalie... period. Part of the problem that the Sioux have had with goaltending in the past 2 years is that CB would take a goalie out of the net after one bad game. Brandt needs to know that he is the guy and the team will stick with him. Not having seen him play at all I will assume that Parise is the goalie of the future, but give him 2 years to develop.

It looks as if Ziggy might have fallen into a spot that he might not be able to fight his way out of in regards to becoming a starter. Jake has only gotten better.. remember that his role model in net his first year was Andy Kollar, he never had a trully successfull starting goalie to model after, and then he was the "experianced guy, if he had been under a goalie like Karl things would have been different from the get go.

Also this year it looks as if the team has more faith in Brandt, and when a team has faith in their goalie they play better, they are less afraid to take chances and are more likely to play to win a game not just playing not to lose.

It has taken Brandt 2 years to become the top notch starter that he was brought to UND to be, but it looks like he is it now, and should be given that role.

It looks as if Ziggy might have fallen into a spot that he might not be able to fight his way out of in regards to becoming a starter.

I don't believe Ziggy came in expecting to be the starter his freshman year, my guess is he was looking for a chance to improve his game and log some icetime.

Last year he started slow for Lincoln, but really came on after Christmas and had a great second-half and it wouldn't surprise me to see the same improvment this year. He has the potential to be a very good goalie at the college level. But, for now, it is a nonissue.

Unless or until Brandt proves otherwise, he deserves to be the #1 guy.

Um, when Ziggy committed to the Sioux, he was a walk on. Now he is under at least partial scholarship. I think Ziggy is right where he expected to be in the mix if not better thanks to Ranfranz, Sofie, and Siembida's departure. I do not know if he'll ever be a bigger part of the Sioux roster, but he's doing well for what he expected to have here in Grand Forks.

I have a feeling that when Ziggy is given the chance to show his stuff, he will rise to the occasion like he has previously in his hockey career.

Hopefully he is given the chance. Is Blais going to keep four goalies next year? If not he is probably going to be the odd-man out.

Considering we are nine games into JP's and NZ's career it would be a mistake to say that Ziggy is likely the odd man out. Considering the possibility of injuries, slumps, and the fact that they are both freshmen it is WAY too early to even speculate. Let's not forget that even though JP has been given the back-up nod thus far, his numbers, other than wins and remember Siembida had a lot of those last year, are not that good. That is not to say that I don't think JP has potential, too, because I do.

As for next season, my guess is DB keeps four. That way, following JB's graduation, UND should be set in net for at least three years assuming Lamoureux pans out, but, again, it is way too early to do much speculating.

Depending on the situation and the quality of play from Parise and Ziggy it would not surprise me to see Lamoureux be redshirted for that first year simply because there would be a Senior Jake Brandt and a Sophmore Parise and Ziggy. You might as well let him develop with the team for a year while there still are 3 eligable goalies.

Considering we are nine games into JP's and NZ's career it would be a mistake to say that Ziggy is likely the odd man out. Considering the possibility of injuries, slumps, and the fact that they are both freshmen it is WAY too early to even speculate. Let's not forget that even though JP has been given the back-up nod thus far, his numbers, other than wins and remember Siembida had a lot of those last year, are not that good. That is not to say that I don't think JP has potential, too, because I do.

As for next season, my guess is DB keeps four. That way, following JB's graduation, UND should be set in net for at least three years assuming Lamoureux pans out, but, again, it is way too early to do much speculating.

I agree it is too early to speculate. My odd man out comment was solely based on the fact NZ was a walk on. Blais has shown he would rather cut a walk on player than have a scholership player never dress. The best example I can think of is Pat O'Leary. I also agree it makes sense to keep all four next year being Brandt will be a senior.

I agree it is too early to speculate. My odd man out comment was solely based on the fact NZ was a walk on. Blais has shown he would rather cut a walk on player than have a scholership player never dress. The best example I can think of is Pat O'Leary. I also agree it makes sense to keep all four next year being Brandt will be a senior.

Ziggy is attending UND on a partial scholarship, much like the rest of his teammates. I believe Foyt may be the only true walk-on on the team, but I am not positive about that.