SiouxSports.com Forum

FoxN/MSC/UMinn

Riverman

Ok, can anyone tell me why the leadership in the WCHA have no balls?

I watched the UM-SCSU Final Five game. In the first period

Doug& Frank talked about UM for 17 of the 20 minutes and

then after a break they said they didn't mean it to sound

that they were pro UM because they said they do have

viewers in St. Cloud watching their SCSU team.Really Frank?

You mean there are more teams at the FF5 other than UM?

Is it time for the WCHA and FoxN to agree on a game of the week? Who pays whom to broadcast UM games? I bet the WCHA could offer a better package. The CCHA does a great

job w/ there regional sports on Fox.Why can't FoxN?

I couldn't believe they didn't do the DU-CC game instead they chose to run some other show.The WCHA needs to step up.IMHO.

Go DU!

I couldn't believe they didn't do the DU-CC game instead they chose to run some other show.The WCHA needs to step up.IMHO.

Go DU!

I was also really surprised that they didn't show the CC-DU game! Don't they usually show the afternoon game? I know they did last year.

UM looked really good last night.

FOX had prior committments to NASCAR, hence the CC/DU game was preempted. And they don't/didn't have to worry about getting caught with Minnie in that position because as long as the Five is at the X, Minnie gets night games, no matter what. That is also why CC was stuck playing two games in a row in the tourney, little more than 12 hours apart.

I think Frank & Doug do a pretty good job.  During the Sioux/Gopher WCHA playoff game last Saturday spent more than a little bit of time talking about UND's upgraded effort over Friday night. Woog even gave Andy the 2 "best saves of the year" during the overtime.  I expect these guys to be homers, that's a given, but they do a decent job of showcasing the opposition to include player and coach interviews. ???

I agree Dick.  I like listening to Woog.  Yeah, they are homers but they (Woog especially) isn't afraid to be critical of the UM or of poor officiating that goes in favor of the gophers.  And Woog is animated and I like that.

Yeah, sometimes they get the names wrong, and there are other things that aren't smooth, but overall I enjoy listening to them.

I think Wooger for the most part is real fair but Frank Macco is  joke, the guy is a clown. I'd like to know what his back ground is, I am sure Frank is some broad cast genius that never played a organized sport in his life. Macco just bugs me when he says shot and a goal. He needs to take a class from Harry Neal on CBC Sakic shooting Scores... I miss Tom Reid in the booth. I love his bar also, but thats not the point Reid was invited to do NCAA hockey Frank is not, I think that is a huge statement on Franks quality...

While Wooger is and can be critical of the UofM when their players make a bad play, Frank is not objective at all. I realize that they are paid by the UofM and I am fine with that. I would love to get a FSN North Dakota, but it is never going to happen. I am also sure that Doug is friends with a lot of the coaches around the league so I am sure he has to watch what he says.

Frank gets the names right and, let's face it, the Sioux have some tongue twisters.  Wooger spent most of the playoff weekend calling Mazurak... "Mizzurak".  While Franky definately needs a new rug he has a pretty good hockey voice and has pretty good feel for the game.  Wooger gives some insites to the game that we didn't get before.  During the Hall of Fame game in October he brought up the fact that UND doesn't have any right hand point men which has a lot of effect on angle of shots especially during a power play. Last weekend when UND was struggling even to get the puck over the offensive blue line Frank suggested it was because the Goofers weren't allowing UND to free wheel through the neutral zone, Wooger said that "If you want me to be blunt, the Sioux were struggling with this because they lack quality or experianced centers."  In any case Frank is a ton better than our own Pat Sweeney.

I used to rip on Wooger as a coach because of some of his comments regarding UND recruiting kids out of the USHL and Canada who were a year or two older than his frosh.  I actually met him at the State Fair right after Crowley jumped ship.  He was a nice guy and was pretty complimentary of Blais' efforts at UND.  I didn't bring up Crowley leaving, but he said it definitely threw a wrench into his plans for the next season.

I like his color commentary.  Sure he's a homer, but he can be pretty balanced in his comments and he isn't afraid to tag Minnesota or its players if he thinks they're dogging it.  Somebody had better remind Frank there's a rug sale at Dayton's, er, Marshall Fields or whatever they call themselves this week.  ;)  

As for Sweeney ... I still smile when I remember those "Sweeney Sucks" cheers at REA.  ???

Boy, if you guys think Woog and/or Frank are homers, you should here Somnor.  ???  Larson -  shudder...

I agree with What has been said about Woog.  He's very entertaining and glib.  Not afraid to tear down the Gophers when the play poorly and point out a bad call - either way - when he sees it.  After years of listening to Frank I've come to a conclusion.  He has a stack of notecards with information and he will get through them all regardless of the 'flow' of the game or conversation.  It's now one of those things were he's been doing it so long I don't think he'll ever leave.

The contract FSN has is with the schools (MN & UW) and not the league.  For MN it's everything but FB and mens BB.  The league probably looks at it as a bonus as the don't have to do anything and the two schools provide high exposure for the league through the satatlite.  I can understand the frustrations other schools have with this arrangement, but given the demographics I don't see it changing much.  The only thing which could change the situation an MN is ESPN holds the rights to college hoops and charges very high fees for FOX to pick up the broadcast.  Thus, hoops and its numbers is eliminated from the picture.  Also, there is some talk of the Twins and either the Wild or Mutts forming a new cable sports channel as they are fueding with FOX-N.

BYW Goon - MN beat Sconny in ot to advance to the Final Five final in Milwaukee (96?) and rushed on the ice to celebrate with the players.  In an act I thought I'd never see a cheesehead perform, beer was wasted and dumbed on Woog and the players.  When Doug attempted to clarify who was going to play for number one he (I'm sure) inadvertantly raised the wrong digit.  The WCHA did not appreciate this as an error and suspended him from the Champ game.

Yes, FSN-N has rights to UM and UW games during the season, the regular season.

The WCHA has the rights to the Final Five. I'm surprised the WCHA hasn't mandated a system for broadcasting those Final Five games where the most senior WCHA radio broadcaster that doesn't have "their team" in the tournament, or the radio broadcast team from the highest finishing non-Final Five WCHA team, does the play-by-play. (Let Fox run the cameras.)