SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU still believes....

Brent_Bobyck

We probably need to be considerate of Bison fans, considering the torment that they are enduring: :silly:

Two overtime losses took them out of the playoffs,

The Fargodome has never hosted a playoff game,

They haven’t even shared an NCC conference title since 1994,

They can go 33-0 over the next three years and not make the I-AA playoffs,

If they think Div II playoff selection is political, wait until I-AA back room maneuvers mess with them.

They’ll be going through an identity crisis in I-AA, as they won’t have UND to blame for their problems

Their “Sioux S**k” chant at non-UND games has really given the public an awareness of their need for anger counseling,

The same chant next year at I-AA games will further unveil their lunacy,

They are more angered than even Gopher fans that Gov. Pawlenty will be wearing a Fighting Sioux jersey.

So we need to be considerate and hospitable to the Bison fans:

Cordially invite them to the Alerus on November 22nd for a playoff game!

Stauss is either in a complete state of denial, or he lacks even a fundamental understanding of how the playoff selection process works. Does he really think that the regional committee is going to be giving the benefit of any doubts to a school leaving dII after this year? They were facing an uphill battle in that regard even had they won yesterday.

He implied in that quote that even if they had gone winless in the conference that the Montana win should "trump" everything

That was actually going to be my question for Stauss -- how many NCC D-II losses should a win over a non-divisional opponent wipe out? What if the Bison had been 4-3 in the conference? Frankly, there's a reason the division doesn't give higher SOS credit for beating a non-divisional opponent -- it's impossible to know how strong Montana is relative to the best of D-II because the schedules don't interlock enough.

I think Stauss was frustrated that a very competitive D-II football team had just lost too many games to be in playoff consideration and, as bisonguy said, was trying to highlight the positive aspects of the season. Even if Montana pumped up NDSU's SOS, the Bison still wouldn't make the playoffs because they've lost 3 of 10 games. I think most Bison fans would agree, a strong schedule is a nice bonus, but first you have to win your conference games.

If you think he implied something that was not quoted, then that becomes speculation and is now your opinion.

My opinion is simply that our win over Montana should count for more than it does. Even after saying that he says that it would take a miracle for us to get in.

Brent,

I don't understand why you wish doom apon our athletics. I hope UND can bring the rest of their sports up to the D1 level and start playing us again because i will miss the Bison-Sioux rivalry and i don't think it should be played again until we're in the same division.

Also to answer you question of why? Mainly, NDSU is trying to reclassify itself into the highest echelon of research institutions. We want to to be known for our research and development in the areas of engineering, science, and so on. A big part of that and indeed our total image is athletics. If we upgrade our academic and research abilities then so shall it be with our athletics. We're not looking at this from an athletic only basis whereby we wouldn't move up until we secured a conf., etc.

Brent_Bobyck,

Once again, please read what is written and comprehend it. I was using UND's VB team as a parallel. They were on the outside looking in for the playoff selection and lost this weekend. The coach, players, and the NEWS RELEASE (that's what I stated) were upbeat about the loss. They didn't proclaim, "We lost and have no chance for the playoffs. We're not a good team."

btw- Charlie McBride stated that Bohl was the scapegoat for Solich. The Husker offense has dropped off more than the defense in the last years. If an offense can't stay on the field, the defense will wear out. Kinda strange that Solich is no longer calling offensive plays and the defense is still not doing well.

Brent_Bobyck,

Once again, please read what is written and comprehend it. I was using UND's VB team as a parallel. They were on the outside looking in for the playoff selection and lost this weekend. The coach, players, and the NEWS RELEASE (that's what I stated) were upbeat about the loss. They didn't proclaim, "We lost and have no chance for the playoffs. We're not a good team." 

I don't think anyone would be critical of a player maintaining a positive attitude after a difficult loss. But when a player says he thinks that one win should "trump everything else," I think it's going beyond maintaining a positive outlook. It comes across as sounding somewhat desperate and/or unrealistic. What he said isn't a huge deal, but it was arguably best left unsaid, at least to the media. I would think there are enough positives on the year to accentuate without dwelling on something that isn't going to happen.

A big part of that and indeed our total image is athletics. If we upgrade our academic and research abilities then so shall it be with our athletics. We're not looking at this from an athletic only basis whereby we wouldn't move up until we secured a conf., etc.

I've got to admit, the Bison landing a player or two on the NCC All-academic team is a big step up from last year when you had zip. Let's see a few more student-athletes come out of your football program when you are Div I (seriously).

btw- Charlie McBride stated that Bohl was the scapegoat for Solich. The Husker offense has dropped off more than the defense in the last years. If an offense can't stay on the field, the defense will wear out. Kinda strange that Solich is no longer calling offensive plays and the defense is still not doing well.

I'm sorry, the last time I checked the Huskers defense was in the top 5 in the nation. That is definitely better than the 55th best when Coach Bohl was at the helm.

And believe me, I do not want to see the rivalry end either but they should not be playing if they are in different divisions.

This is only my opinion, but i believe the NCAA sets an unrealistic goal when they want athletes in college to be just as good of students as non-athletes. The amount of time put into athletics plus i believe that some athletes simply don't posess both athletic and academic ability. Should this mean they shouldn't be considered for the top athletic institutions. IMO, no! It's absurd! Athletes are meant to do what they're meant to do...play sports. I don't think they should be expected to be brillient scholors as well. They should have to pass the basic graduation requirements but i dislike the image that the NCAA is pushing of the student athlete who goes to class, puts a bunch of time into his sport, and then stays up late at night to do a bunch of homework. As if they were machines that didn't require entertainment and fun. Nonsense!

If Stauss had another chance to do over his quote i believe he would replace "everthing" with something else. Because obviously one win doesn't trump all other criteria...but it does trump some criteria.

Speaking of bad quotes by college athletes this weekend...did anyone hear Winslow's quote after UM lost to UT?

I'm sorry, the last time I checked the Huskers defense was in the top 5 in the nation. That is definitely better than the 55th best when Coach Bohl was at the helm.

And believe me, I do not want to see the rivalry end either but they should not be playing if they are in different divisions.

You can't compare statistics from one season to the next and expect to get a relative comparison.

The only correct speculation (IMO) can be what if Bohl was d-coordinator this year or what if the new d-coordinator was in that position a few years ago when you clain Bohl was 55th.

Brent,

I don't understand why you wish doom apon our athletics. I hope UND can bring the rest of their sports up to the D1 level and start playing us again because i will miss the Bison-Sioux rivalry and i don't think it should be played again until we're in the same division.

Also to answer you question of why? Mainly, NDSU is trying to reclassify itself into the highest echelon of research institutions. We want to to be known for our research and development in the areas of engineering, science, and so on. A big part of that and indeed our total image is athletics. If we upgrade our academic and research abilities then so shall it be with our athletics. We're not looking at this from an athletic only basis whereby we wouldn't move up until we secured a conf., etc.

With all due respect, I do not wish doom upon your athletics. I do like to see them lose however, just like you want to see UND lose.

And your opinion about the move to divsion I for research purposes is hard to comprehend. Growing up around NDSU athletics, it has and always will be about being better on the playing surface. I have a hard time believing that this move has anything to do with making the university a better research institution. I see no correlation.

You can't compare statistics from one season to the next and expect to get a relative comparison.

The only correct speculation (IMO) can be what if Bohl was d-coordinator this year or what if the new d-coordinator was in that position a few years ago when you clain Bohl was 55th.

You can compare statistics from one year to the next. Not agreeing with me is like saying John Gruden had nothing to do with the Bucs run to the Super Bowl title last year. Coach Pelini brought in something to Nebraska that was definitely lacking when coach Bohl was there, discipline. Granted this is not all Bohl's fault but he did have a hand in it. I truly believe that if Coach Bohl was still in Nebraska, they would not be any better than last year.

Brent,

The theory about Bohl at Nebraska had already been brought up when he was just a coaching finalist. The fact of the matter is when the King of the Blackshirts says the defensive problems were not Bohl's fault, they probably are not. The offense was proven to have fallen farther than the defense previously, and a defense cannot do well if it's on the field most of the day.

star2city,

Must be the holidays. I think that's the first nice thing you've said about Fargo or NDSU, unless I'm missing a heavy dose of sarcasm. :silly:

Brent,

The theory about Bohl at Nebraska had already been brought up when he was just a coaching finalist. The fact of the matter is when the King of the Blackshirts says the defensive problems were not Bohl's fault, they probably are not. The offense was proven to have fallen farther than the defense previously, and a defense cannot do well if it's on the field most of the day.

The offense is still terrible and the defense is leaps and bounds better than last year. Now what?

This is only my opinion, but i believe the NCAA sets an unrealistic goal when they want athletes in college to be just as good of students as non-athletes. The amount of time put into athletics plus i believe that some athletes simply don't posess both athletic and academic ability. Should this mean they shouldn't be considered for the top athletic institutions. IMO, no! It's absurd! Athletes are meant to do what they're meant to do...play sports. I don't think they should be expected to be brillient scholors as well. They should have to pass the basic graduation requirements but i dislike the image that the NCAA is pushing of the student athlete who goes to class, puts a bunch of time into his sport, and then stays up late at night to do a bunch of homework. As if they were machines that didn't require entertainment and fun. Nonsense!

I disagree with just about everything you said. To suggest that that athletes should be cut some slack academically because they put alot of time into athletics is absolutely absurd. I know all kinds of people that worked 30 or 40 hours a week and went to school full time. Should those people also receive special treatment because they don't have a bunch of time for "fun"?