SiouxSports.com Forum

Completly Hypothetical

gfhockey

Lets just say that the team does 3-8 next year with a loss to a NAIA team.

Do we let go of Chris Mussman or keep him?

Lets say we let go of him.

Any ideas of possible head coaches?

Id say without any major suprises in applying, my vote is for Bubba Scheiwgert or Tim Tibesar

any other suggestions?

better to go after a und alum or outsider?

Id say without any major suprises in applying, my vote is for Bubba Scheiwgert or Tim Tibesar

any other suggestions?

Way too many variables to try and predict who might be available and interested in a position a year from now.

any other suggestions?

I would certainly think (and hope) that another 3-8 seaon would mean we are looking for a new coach. We would need to get the best coach/recruiter available - whether or not he has ties to UND.

I would certainly think (and hope) that another 3-8 seaon would mean we are looking for a new coach. We would need to get the best coach/recruiter available - whether or not he has ties to UND.

I heard Urban Meyer has expressed interested in the job. He's just sick of the heat in Florida.

I certainly hope UND isn't looking for a new head football coach anytime soon, but I would think it's only a matter of time before a dI program takes a serious look at this guy: http://www.uwwsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=451&path=football

57-3 and three national championships in four years is pretty amazing, regardless of what level it is.

I agree with that, except........can those guys recruit kids at the level it takes for FCS ball? That is the biggest question in my mind. At NDSU, I would have to say that Amy Ruley was a great D2 womens BB coach but could not make the jump to DI. I think that recruiting may have been the issue that got her in trouble. I also wonder if Roebuck at UND is having some of the same issues.

Who knows, I am just another sports rube pontificating on the internet, but, if a coach is going to succeed at the next level the recruiting has to take a step up as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with that, except........can those guys recruit kids at the level it takes for FCS ball? That is the biggest question in my mind. At NDSU, I would have to say that Amy Ruley was a great D2 womens BB coach but could not make the jump to DI. I think that recruiting may have been the issue that got her in trouble. I also wonder if Roebuck at UND is having some of the same issues.

Who knows, I am just another sports rube pontificating on the internet, but, if a coach is going to succeed at the next level the recruiting has to take a step up as well.

With regard to Leipold, he has quite a bit of experience with recruiting scholarship athletes from his time as offensive coordinator and associate head coach at UNO. I think the route he's taken is similar to what Dale Lennon did back in the mid-1990's--go from a coordinator at a dII national power to the head coach at a lower-level program. It worked out well for Lennon, and I suspect that if Leipold wants to pursue opportunities to be the head coach at a higher level, it would work out well for him, as well.

My concern with focusing too much on a candidate's alleged recruiting ability, and not enough on his actual coaching, is that you could end up with another Tim Brewster.

With regard to Leipold, he has quite a bit of experience with recruiting scholarship athletes from his time as offensive coordinator and associate head coach at UNO. I think the route he's taken is similar to what Dale Lennon did back in the mid-1990's--go from a coordinator at a dII national power to the head coach at a lower-level program. It worked out well for Lennon, and I suspect that if Leipold wants to pursue opportunities to be the head coach at a higher level, it would work out well for him, as well.

My concern with focusing too much on a candidate's alleged recruiting ability, and not enough on his actual coaching, is that you could end up with another Tim Brewster.

LOL.....touche....and we all know how well Brewster did.......

I certainly hope UND isn't looking for a new head football coach anytime soon, but I would think it's only a matter of time before a dI program takes a serious look at this guy: http://www.uwwsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=451&path=football

57-3 and three national championships in four years is pretty amazing, regardless of what level it is.

Kalen DeBoer says, "Yeah, ... and?"

DeBoer was 67-3, three NAIA titles, a runner-up, and a semis loss in five years at U of Sioux Falls.

If UND ends up looking in the future, I'd like someone who has been a head coach at some level (beyond HS) previously.

Kalen DeBoer says, "Yeah, ... and?"

DeBoer was 67-3, three NAIA titles, a runner-up, and a semis loss in five years at U of Sioux Falls.

If UND ends up looking in the future, I'd like someone who has been a head coach at some level (beyond HS) previously.

I think they're both very impressive. DeBoer was smart to take the SIU o-coordinator job to get himself some different experience, as it would have been all but impossible to maintain his winning percentage at Sioux Falls with the impending dII transition. IMO, either would be an excellent choice for any midwestern FCS head coaching job.

DeBoer was smart to take the SIU o-coordinator job to get himself some different FCS experience ...

Fixed your post to reflect DeBoer's move to position himself for an FCS head job. ;)

That FCS OC experience could end up giving DeBoer a leg up over other candidates with head coaching experience.

If UND was ever to make a coaching change next year, why not look here:

UMD's Bob Nielson

A head coach's responsibilities are a whole lot different than an assistant coach: a head coach has to know or learn how to be a CEO. Some assistants coaches - no matter how good they are - never transition into that role as they are too detail focused (e.g. Charlie Weis - brilliant as an assistant - but doesn't have the administrative skills to be head coach. Bubba Schweigert may be another example).

With Nielson, you'd have somebody that would stick around, knows how to win, and actually would be a prime candidate for the AD role as he knows hockey/basketball too. Knows the region and is smart as a whip.

UMD's Bob Nielson

A head coach's responsibilities are a whole lot different than an assistant coach: a head coach has to know or learn how to be a CEO. Some assistants coaches - no matter how good they are - never transition into that role as they are too detail focused (e.g. Charlie Weis - brilliant as an assistant - but doesn't have the administrative skills to be head coach. Bubba Schweigert may be another example).

With Nielson, you'd have somebody that would stick around, knows how to win, and actually would be a prime candidate for the AD role as he knows hockey/basketball too. Knows the region and is smart as a whip.

Yes! The guy is very highly thought of by a former player I know from his days at UWEC. He is still young @ 50 or so, but he would be hard to pry out of his dual job unless the money were there. One amazing guy from what I hear from people who know him well.

UMD's Bob Nielson

For some reason, I had always thought Nielson was quite a bit older than what he actually is. At 50 or so, he may yet be interested in moving on to a higher level.