SiouxSports.com Forum

Ipad - or Dell Streak or

Fetch

In terms of tablets, you get what you pay for and right now in the tablet market nothing is even close to the iPad in user experience.

The Samsung Galaxy tab is fairly new and runs the "android operating system" similar to Verizon's android operating system Smart phones, the Droid X, Droid 2, Samsung Fascinate, Droid Incredible ect.. at the moment the Samsung Galaxy Tab is the best competitor tablet to the iPad.

RIM (Research in Motion, think Blackberries) is coming out with their own version of a tablet soon called the Blackberry playbook which will be a 7" tablet. That brings up another note, the Samsung Galaxy tab is only 7" compared to the iPad which is 9.7". However, the Samsung Tab can utilize flash when browsing the web where the iPad along with the iPhone do not support flash content for browsing the web. Steve jobs is against running flash on his devices (iPad, iPhone. Ipod Touch for it bugs down the device along with eating up the battery.

Overall, if you are looking to spend some money buy the iPad, the 16 GB wifi only version runs for $499, the lowest end model which does not run 3G.

Buyer beware on the other cheap manufactures tablets on the market that cost $250 -200 or below in price. You are wasting your money if you decide to purchase one of these tablets and like I mentioned previously above, you get what you pay for.

We have always been PC people and recently bought an Imac and love it. We are becoming Apple people.

We have some relatives who have an Ipad and their 4-year old is operating it. Pretty cool. I've been thinking about getting one, but have heard they are coming out with some new models next year. I think I'll wait it out.

I own a PC and my work uses Mac.

My friend has an iPad and he swears by it.

The fact remains is thus: What are you going to use it for?

If you wish to use it for a little of everything, entertainment, and stuff, and you have the money, the iPad is the best option.

If you are going to just use it for the eBook app, then an iPad is a horrendous waste of money.

If you want to use an iPad for a laptop replacement, then you'll be disappointed in some ways and ok with it in others. Despite the commercial, the iPad doesn't multitask. You can't search the web and then switch over to write a paper on a word processor at the same time, for example (at least the last time I checked).

There's no USB ports.

You have to buy a dock or rely upon email to get your documents from the iPad to anything else.

That being said, it's a really nice device and I wouldn't mind having one. However, if I just want an eBook reader I'll get a Kindle. If I want something to replace my laptop, I'll be a netbook or another laptop.