SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky

UNDsportsFANATIC

Considering the class of sophmores are going to be seniors year 1 in the Sky, I would hope to be competitive year one. It's always my belief that having seniors automatically gives a leg up in competitiveness and I would hope that translates in year 1. But because that class is so big, I could see a drop off, for a couple of years and then by years 3 and 4 be right in the mix from then on out.

Will we win the sky, year 1?--that may be doubtful, but I believe we could be competitive. Year 4 in The Sky is when we win the conference tournament as a 3 seed and go to the dance--is my prediction. I crave the madness...march madness.

Considering the class of sophmores are going to be seniors year 1 in the Sky, I would hope to be competitive year one. It's always my belief that having seniors automatically gives a leg up in competitiveness and I would hope that translates in year 1. But because that class is so big, I could see a drop off, for a couple of years and then by years 3 and 4 be right in the mix from then on out.

Will we win the sky, year 1?--that may be doubtful, but I believe we could be competitive. Year 4 in The Sky is when we win the conference tournament as a 3 seed and go to the dance--is my prediction. I crave the madness...march madness.

Yeah I think your prediction is pretty much what it will look it. Since we'll be a veteran team by year 1. Not to mention the young class we have.

• 3 weeks later...

With Phil Jackson retiring after this year, has any one else heard rumors that he may want to get "actively" involved with the basketball program? Not sure what "active" means, but his name affiliated with the program would be a major boost to recruiting.

With Jackson having a home on Flathead Lake (and who knows where else in the West), the idea of the Big Sky Conference (rather than the Summit) probably is much more to his liking.

Jeannie Buss (his owner/girlfriend) has given a past interview where she asserted that Phil has to know the UND hockey score on Saturday and Sunday mornings, so obviously Jackson does keep close tabs on UND athletics. With UND now in DI and the Big Sky, his interest in basketball may have just wratcheted up.

I would be shocked if Phil ever puts his name to UND basketball. He's just not that in to UND. Think of the financial impact he could make for our program. He's no Engelstad but he makes $12-15 million a year coaching. As much as he would be a great asset, when he leaves the Lakers, he's going into deep hiding in my opinion.

Jackson talked very fondly of his time at UND when he was back last year for the Great Conversation. He seemed to be very interested in the University. I don't know if that will translate into anything or not. But he could pull strings behind the scenes if he wants to help. He certainly knows a lot of people with money that may be willing to donate to one of his causes.

On the ND Spirit Campaign website, Phil is listed as a member of the "National Campaign Steering Committee." Not sure what his role is but it appears as though he is involved in fundraising in some way, shape, or form which is a good thing in my opinion.

Edit: Here is a link to the website...you will need to scroll to the bottom to see the names...

http://www.spirit.und.edu/vision.html

Yeah I think your prediction is pretty much what it will look it. Since we'll be a veteran team by year 1. Not to mention the young class we have.

Any idea of how the Big Sky will handle their conference tournament? Will all 11 teams make it? Or just the top 8? Or some conferences in some sports only allow the top 4 in the tournament to avoid a lower division team representing them in the National Tournament.

Any idea of how the Big Sky will handle their conference tournament? Will all 11 teams make it? Or just the top 8? Or some conferences in some sports only allow the top 4 in the tournament to avoid a lower division team representing them in the National Tournament.

No decisions have been made. The conference had to wait to find out that Montana was staying, and are probably waiting to find out what else will happen with the WAC. Then they will take the time to work out the details on conference play in all sports.

With more teams, perhaps it will change, but only the top 6 qualify for the tournament:

#6 at #3 (campus locations)

#5 at #4

The regular season winner hosts the final four a couple of days after the first round:

#1 vs #4/5

#2 vs #3/6

The regular season means playing for the home court in the Big Sky. In the Summit, the regular season doesn't mean much at all.

With more teams, perhaps it will change, but only the top 6 qualify for the tournament:

#5 at #4

The regular season winner hosts the final four a couple of days after the first round:

#1 vs #4/5

#2 vs #3/6

The regular season means playing for the home court in the Big Sky. In the Summit, the regular season doesn't mean much at all.

I would prefer the Big Sky version. I think the top seeds should only have to win two games to get to the NCAA tournament. It just may take longer for an expansion team to make it to the conference tournament if only half of the teams make it.

#5 at #4

#1 vs #4/5

#2 vs #3/6

With a move to 11 teams, an 8 team tourney seems plausible. A nice variation of the current format would be

Quarters and semis would be played on Saturday and Sunday

At 2 seed

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

semifinal between two winners

At 1 seed

1 vs 8

4 vs 5

semifinal between two winners

Championship on Wednesday night at highest remaining seed. This guarantees the final will be played in front of a partisan (and therefore hopefully large and tv-friendly) crowd.

The Big Sky post-season tournament has been notorious the past 20 years for producing a different tournament champion from the regular season champion.

Another factor in all this will be how the conference is divided, if at all. If there's no north/south or east/west divisions, that means the regular season won't produce a true champion many years as each team will play others once in some cases, twice in others. Unlike the current situation where every Big Sky team plays home-and-away with everyone. A 11 team league would mean 20 league games for that to continue. Don't think that will happen.

• 3 months later...