SiouxSports.com Forum

SUU @ UND

SiouxMD

It's YELL LIKE HELL day today...GO SIOUX.

Football Opens GWC Play at North Dakota - www.suutbirds.com

North Dakota (2-3/0-1 Great West) is also looking to bounce back after a bitter defeat. The Fighting Sioux opened GWC play last weekend at South Dakota where they saw a modest two-game winning streak end with a 27-17 loss.

Coach Mussman is 0-2 vs. the Thunderbirds.

Bitter? Bitter was the loss to the Thunderbirds in 2008.

With less that two minutes remaining in the Fighting Sioux home finale, Southern Utah pulled down a 16-yard toss to take a 15-14 lead

I sure hope the reason that there are only four (now five) posts on tomorrow's football game is because everyone is enroute to Grand Forks...

UND by 7.

BTW...I heard that the Thunderbirds were cheering for the Yotes last weekend. See you at the game...

• Upvote 1

I sure hope the reason that there are only four (now five) posts on tomorrow's football game is because everyone is enroute to Grand Forks...

UND by 7.

BTW...I heard that the Thunderbirds were cheering for the Yotes last weekend. See you at the game...

It's not just here that there hasn't been a lot of action--Sioux Football Insider doesn't have their game preview up yet, either. I always look forward to reading their stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the make-or-break game for the season. We absolutely have to win all of our home games, since winning a road game now appears pretty unlikely (I think USD was our best opportunity).

Let's shore up the pass defense, avoid turnovers, and get back in the W column tomorrow.

Given what I saw last week, it is pretty difficult for me to believe that UND can hold SUU to under 500 yards of offense. I think that won't bold well.

Hate to say it, but I think SUU will win...... :(

While a loss certainly wouldn't come as a shock, I'm hoping that playing at home will help keep the turnovers down, which have been a problem on the road. We may not be able to slow down their passing game very well, but hopefully we can match their offensive output, and force a few turnovers.

Can anybody offer a good explanation as to why our experienced secondary (experienced aside from Mackey anyway) seems to be struggling? I don't think it's a talent issue, but maybe I'm wrong?

Given what I saw last week, it is pretty difficult for me to believe that UND can hold SUU to under 500 yards of offense. I think that won't bold well.

Hate to say it, but I think SUU will win...... :(

One thing that gives us a little reason for hope defensively is that, after giving up 289 yds. total offense in the first half last week, we only gave up about 120 yds. the second half. Perhaps some of that can be chalked up to S. D. being more conservative in the second half, but, nonetheless, it does show that we made some adjustments and improved in the second half. Hopefully, the improvement continues this week.

Can anybody offer a good explanation as to why our experienced secondary (experienced aside from Mackey anyway) seems to be struggling? I don't think it's a talent issue, but maybe I'm wrong?

I cannot. I've felt on paper coming into each of the last 3 seasons that with talent in the defensive backfield, namely Hawkins, Ankenbauer, and Schwenzfier, along with Watkins as well, that the secondary should be perhaps the strongest part of the defense. Yet each year I'm left surveying opponent stat sheets that indicate miles of pass offense. In 2008 and 2009 I chalked it up to a poor pass rush, but so far this season the pass rush has been a bit better, but with still the same results in the secondary.