SiouxSports.com Forum

Idaho

UND Fan

Based upon the inconsistent defensive performance of the past three years or so, I can understand why several people are predicting that Idaho will score in the 30's. But with a renewed commitment to the 3-4, Mannausau now apparently calling the shots (and very familiar with the traditional UND 3-4), and pretty talented and experienced nucleus returning, I think the UND defense may surprise a lot of people this year. My hope and expectation is that the Sioux defense will be getting after the quarterback a lot more than what we've seen in recent years.

Based upon the inconsistent defensive performance of the past three years or so, I can understand why several people are predicting that Idaho will score in the 30's. But with a renewed commitment to the 3-4, Mannausau now apparently calling the shots (and very familiar with the traditional UND 3-4), and pretty talented and experienced nucleus returning, I think the UND defense may surprise a lot of people this year. My hope and expectation is that the Sioux defense will be getting after the quarterback a lot more than what we've seen in recent years.

So........................then.......................what's your prediction?

While I'm at it, Sioux 20

Idaho 31

I think they're a little too much for us this year, plus they've got the home field advantage. However, if we're effective in pressuring their QB and actually getting to him a few times, then it could be anybody's game.

So........................then.......................what's your prediction?

I'm not really into making specific predictions, but I think it will be a relatively low-scoring game. I'm not sure about our ability to score a lot of points because of the uncertainty at the receiver positions, and by extension the passing game. But I don't think we'll give up a huge amount of points, either. I expect a pretty close game.

I share your optimism that the defense can be much improved, but I still believe Idaho will score in the 30's or even 40's.

Reason #1: Enderle and their WRs. Enderle himself may be worth 3 touchdowns to the Vandals. Idaho was a high octane team last year against the WAC. Even if their OL struggles by allowing a few sacks and QB rushes, Idaho's O will still likely put up points.

Reason #2: With the platoon system, UND's defense is still very young and prone to mistakes, especially in the 2nd depth spot. It may take a number of games to gain that experience, so, overall I'm excited about the defense.

But I'm also optimistic that UND can really get it's offense going. Landry is supposedly much improved. With a dual back / slot system of Murray and Sutton combined with the no-huddle and a maturing OL, the O may really be capable of moving the ball consistently. Moreover, Idaho's defense isn't that good. If UND can get a WR or two in gear, the points could be flowing.

That said, I still have to give Idaho the edge:

Vandals 42-38

and hope I'm wrong.

I share your optimism that the defense can be much improved, but I still believe Idaho will score in the 30's or even 40's.

Reason #1: Enderle and their WRs. Enderle himself may be worth 3 touchdowns to the Vandals. Idaho was a high octane team last year against the WAC. Even if their OL struggles by allowing a few sacks and QB rushes, Idaho's O will still likely put up points.

Reason #2: With the platoon system, UND's defense is still very young and prone to mistakes, especially in the 2nd depth spot. It may take a number of games to gain that experience, so, overall I'm excited about the defense.

But I'm also optimistic that UND can really get it's offense going. Landry is supposedly much improved. With a dual back / slot system of Murray and Sutton combined with the no-huddle and a maturing OL, the O may really be capable of moving the ball consistently. Moreover, Idaho's defense isn't that good. If UND can get a WR or two in gear, the points could be flowing.

That said, I still have to give Idaho the edge:

Vandals 42-38

and hope I'm wrong.

Fair points. But since Idaho did average 164 ypg rushing last year, has a huge (but largely inexperienced) offensive line, and may not necessarily want to show a lot of their playbook against an FCS opponent, I wouldn't be surprised if at least in the first half, they come out and try to impose their will with mostly a power rushing game. That's where I feel like UND should match up quite well. It will be interesting, that's for sure.

We really don't know what kind of a team UND wiil be this fall. How much has the defense improved. We gave up 65 points to Stephen F. Austin last year on the road.

I worry more about getting a pass rush than I do stopping the run . Landrys game has to improve but with this inexperienced receiving core is it even possible.

I hate to be a downer since i love the Sioux. There QB will looks to be a difference maker in this game. Then again Idahos players are not pumped up to play the Sioux.

They are looking at the Cornhuskers so we may be able to sneak up on them. But If there QB is as good as they say Idaho 34 ND 14. Prove me wrong Sioux.