SiouxSports.com Forum

Lewis "decides" not to come back?

Leggo4

It's pretty sad as a senior, that would have been wearing the C for at least the second year in a row this year, Lewis was "asked" to give up the C her final year. I am just as excited to see the women play this year as anyone else, but it's hard to stay excited when stuff like this happens.

It's pretty sad as a senior, that would have been wearing the C for at least the second year in a row this year, Lewis was "asked" to give up the C her final year. I am just as excited to see the women play this year as anyone else, but it's hard to stay excited when stuff like this happens.

Why was she asked not to wear the C for this up comming year? Also two other girls decided not to come back next year anyone know why.

Did she quit because she wasn't going to be the captain again, or did she just want to focus on school or something else?

Mostly because of being asked to no longer wear the C, but there were also other things involving the team as well.

Mostly because of being asked to no longer wear the C, but there were also other things involving the team as well.

It's a very sad day for UND athletics when the "C" is taken away from your SENIOR defenseman just because there are 2 "superstars" joining the team. I have been excited for a long time to see the Lamoureux girls come play for the Sioux, but now it's hard to look forward to watching the team play when a coaching staff turns their back on one of their own players who have given them 3 years of hard work and dedication. I realize the twins have silver medals, and a National Championship on their resume, but they have yet to play even one shift for UND. I guess I'm from the old school where you have to EARN that "C". Shame on the coaching staff. I don't blame her for quitting. I couldn't play for someone like that, either.

It's a very sad day for UND athletics when the "C" is taken away from your SENIOR defenseman just because there are 2 "superstars" joining the team. I have been excited for a long time to see the Lamoureux girls come play for the Sioux, but now it's hard to look forward to watching the team play when a coaching staff turns their back on one of their own players who have given them 3 years of hard work and dedication. I realize the twins have silver medals, and a National Championship on their resume, but they have yet to play even one shift for UND. I guess I'm from the old school where you have to EARN that "C". Shame on the coaching staff. I don't blame her for quitting. I couldn't play for someone like that, either.

I don't think it went down like that though...where the Lammy sisters just took her C.

From what I had heard, the Lammy sisters were both going to get A's, and Lewis was going to keep the C.

Not sure what happened in between, with Lewis leaving the team.

Who is taking over the C?

I don't think it went down like that though...where the Lammy sisters just took her C.

From what I had heard, the Lammy sisters were both going to get A's, and Lewis was going to keep the C.

Not sure what happened in between, with Lewis leaving the team.

Who is taking over the C?

It started out as 4 players getting "C"s...the twins, Lewis, and the Goalie. As time went on, for whatever reason, coach decided to take away the "C" from Lewis. I'm not sure which twin is going to get it, but that is how it went down. That is why Lewis left the team.

Unfortunately undfan17 is spot on with how things went down. Obviously the Lam twins did not take it from Lewis on their own, the coach has the final say on that deal, supposedly.

That's weird. You'd think that the women's team would just vote on it like the men's team. The coach shouldn't have any say on the matter...the players should decide who they want to represent them as captains on the ice.

The Twins have been leaders their whole lives in many sports. It is curious as to why they gave out four "C's" then changed their mind. Maybe attitude had something to do with it. Why didn't they take it away from Dagfinrud as well? I do know that it wouldn't be the first time that a captaincy has been pulled. It's not like the Sioux team won the National Championship last year and have their Captain returning. In fact they weren't exactly world beaters late in the season. Not saying that was the Captain's fault. I do question how a person can abandon their teammates because of that situation though. Almost rings of taking my ball and going home, or I'll show them. To me those aren't the actions of a leader. The best leaders are also servants. These obviously are peripheral observations because I don't know all the facts, but I certainly would hope someone would stick it out even when they feel slighted. I will only look to the men's hockey team and see how much all of the guys wanted Chay Genoway to come back because of how much better it would make the team. Obviously many of those wanting him to come back know that their claim to the Captaincy is now gone, but nevertheless are looking at the bigger picture. I am not only totally excited about the men's team, but the women's team as well. Nobody works harder than the Lamoureux sisters do, and you can't question that they have been leaders all of their life.

Has there ever been anyone in any sport at UND that has received a C without ever putting on the uniform for UND? No one can disagree with what the twins have done in the past, but the fact that they will be wearing C's this year had to catch many people of guard. Lewis was the top point getter for the Sioux on D last year, she was also 7th overall in points on the team as the Caption last year. Lewis also was voted to the WCHA All Star Team last year, which I "believe" is voted on by all the other WCHA coaches.

If the Lamoureux sisters can inspire and shame members of the men's hockey team with their work ethic and unending determination, I sure wouldn't mind them doing the same for the women's team. I am pretty sure that they may have been Captains if they had stayed at Minnesota, a team that is already at the top, so I have no problem with them picking up where they left off there. I realize it may offend some, but if Jonathan Toews had eligibility left and came back this year, I would have no problem with him taking over for Genoway as captain, and it has nothing to do with Genoway's abilities to lead.

Has there ever been anyone in any sport at UND that has received a C without ever putting on the uniform for UND? No one can disagree with what the twins have done in the past, but the fact that they will be wearing C's this year had to catch many people of guard. Lewis was the top point getter for the Sioux on D last year, she was also 7th overall in points on the team as the Caption last year. Lewis also was voted to the WCHA All Star Team last year, which I "believe" is voted on by all the other WCHA coaches.

I don't think that you can compare the twins to anyone else that has come to play at UND in any sport, men or women. They already have college experience playing at the highest level and excelling, they have been part of the extended Sioux family all of their lives because of their Dad and brothers playing at UND, and they have experience excelling at the top level of their sport in the world. They aren't freshmen, and they aren't new to the program. This is a unique situation.

If the Lamoureux sisters can inspire and shame members of the men's hockey team with their work ethic and unending determination, I sure wouldn't mind them doing the same for the women's team. I am pretty sure that they may have been Captains if they had stayed at Minnesota, a team that is already at the top, so I have no problem with them picking up where they left off there. I realize it may offend some, but if Jonathan Toews had eligibility left and came back this year, I would have no problem with him taking over for Genoway as captain, and it has nothing to do with Genoway's abilities to lead.

It just seems morally wrong to take away the "C" from someone when they haven't done anything to warrant it being stripped. After all, she was an all WCHA Team selection. I also believe the person whose leadership abilities that should be in question is the coach. His players need to trust him. How can you expect the captain to be a great leader and loyal, when the coach cant be the same to his captain. I don't blame the twins...they are great players. But dont penalize your own captain. I'm sure the twins could have waited one year to get the "C" and let Lewis finish her senior year as captain. That is what coach should have done.

It just seems morally wrong to take away the "C" from someone when they haven't done anything to warrant it being stripped. After all, she was an all WCHA Team selection. I also believe the person whose leadership abilities that should be in question is the coach. His players need to trust him. How can you expect the captain to be a great leader and loyal, when the coach cant be the same to his captain. I don't blame the twins...they are great players. But dont penalize your own captain. I'm sure the twins could have waited one year to get the "C" and let Lewis finish her senior year as captain. That is what coach should have done.

Since I don't have the details of what happened it is very difficult to take sides. But the coach has done a good job with the team to this point so I won't assume that he did something wrong in this case unless there is real evidence to prove it. Leadership positions in sports should be decided on a year to year basis, with the best leaders being chosen as captain for that year. You don't get to be captain a second year just because you were captain last year. A history of leadership is part of the equation, but it isn't the only part of the decision.

If you get into accolades as a requirement, you are arguing for the Lamoureux sisters. Both were up for the equivalent of the Hobey as freshmen. Monique led the WCHA in most categories as a freshman. Their numbers as freshman come close to UND's career leaders. This truly is a unique situation. I am sure if I knew Lewis I wouldn't be happy about it either, but it isn't so much a slap on her as it is a testament to the Twins drive and determination. You can't miss this window of opportunity to turn this program around and be the best it can be now so once the talent of the Lamoureux's is gone it can be replenished by being considered a top Tier program where more Blue Chip players will want to play. If you don't take advantage of everything possible now, you won't have a following in the future and won't have the chance to make the program at least close to revenue neutral.

I have two girls that play hockey and every year when it is time to try out for the team I tell them that ALL the spots are up for grabs and that every year they have to EARN there spot reguardless. Talent changes constantly, team dynamics change all the time, athletes change constantly and even if a captain comes into the season thinking he or she should just be given that "C", well then there is a problem. Even if the Lammy girls were not here, that same approach to the season should not change. Lets face it, UND womens program is evolving and moving up the ranks fast with all the high level recruits coming in and stuff like this is going to happen. Life won't be any easier. Just my two cents.

• Upvote 2

If we were to go only off accolades outside of UND, think about this: When Karvinen does make it through the clearinghouse for the second half of the season, does that mean she may be wearing a letter as well? She did just win a Bronze medal, which is accomplishing more then any other player on the UND roster besides the Lam twins with the Silver. Heck, if Poulin (Gold medal winner) would have decided on UND instead of BU we could have had 4,5 or even 6 ladies wearing a letter this year then right?

If we were to go only off accolades outside of UND, think about this: When Karvinen does make it through the clearinghouse for the second half of the season, does that mean she may be wearing a letter as well? She did just win a Bronze medal, which is accomplishing more then any other player on the UND roster besides the Lam twins with the Silver. Heck, if Poulin (Gold medal winner) would have decided on UND instead of BU we could have had 4,5 or even 6 ladies wearing a letter this year then right?

Come on, seriously. Do you really think the sisters were awarded letters simply because they are Olympic medalists? That's insane. Does it have a part of it? I'm sure it does. But don't forget, which has been posted on here before, they played a year at Minnesota. There must be some sort of feedback from that program as to why type of leaders they are. Plus, remember, the twins were enrolled at UND all of last year. Do you think they had absolutely no contact with the rest of the team over that whole year? Monique and Jocelyn didn't just show up on campus at the beginning of the school year and put on sweaters with a 'C' on it. I can only assume they have been working out with the team all summer long...probably even from the end of the Olympics. Have they played a minute of Sioux hockey? No, but does that mean they shouldn't be considered for a letter? I don't think so. It's too bad Lewis had her letter pulled, for good or bad reasons, but don't assume that just because they played in the Olympics they were given captaincy. If you don't think they deserve their positions, give them a game or two. That should probably change your mind.

• Upvote 1

According to my first post I am excited to watch the ladies play this year and it's mostly because of the the Lam twins coming to UND, after a year at another school. I am not sure where I said "they shouldn't be considered for a letter". I never said they don't deserve a "Letter", just that it caught me off guard when it was released that there would be 4 ladies with C's. I did however say that getting a C without playing a game, for UND that is, did catch my eye. Maybe an "A" for this year as others posted earlier. As far as the comment thinking that I said the twins got a C just because of the Silver medal, seriously? It was a simple reply to the Accolades argument that would favor the twins past over anyone on the UND roster ever. No one to play women's hockey at UND has accoumplished what the twins have. No matter who the C was last year, they had no chance at retaining it this year if they did have eligibility left.

According to my first post I am excited to watch the ladies play this year and it's mostly because of the the Lam twins coming to UND, after a year at another school. I am not sure where I said "they shouldn't be considered for a letter". I never said they don't deserve a "Letter", just that it caught me off guard when it was released that there would be 4 ladies with C's. I did however say that getting a C without playing a game, for UND that is, did catch my eye. Maybe an "A" for this year as others posted earlier. As far as the comment thinking that I said the twins got a C just because of the Silver medal, seriously? It was a simple reply to the Accolades argument that would favor the twins past over anyone on the UND roster ever. No one to play women's hockey at UND has accoumplished what the twins have. No matter who the C was last year, they had no chance at retaining it this year if they did have eligibility left.

If you read my comment on accolades, it was in response to your and another argument that included WCHA honors and that Lewis finished 7th on the Sioux in scoring. I was only stating that if you go by that criteria, you lose the argument right from the start. I never said that should be the way a Captain is picked.