SiouxSports.com Forum

Butler going to MBB national title game

MplsBison

Interesting post on Butler's potential windfall for their run in the MBB tournament.

Would UND get anything near that for winning the men's hockey national championship?

http://anygivensaturday.com/showpost.php?p...mp;postcount=22

That was a fantastic basketball game last night...Butler & Duke put on a great show. Your jealousy of Fighting Sioux hockey is becoming more & more transparent. We all know the answer to your smartass question, of course UND wouldn't get that kind of money. Let's get to the real world...I have been fortunate enough to witness 5 of the 7 NCAA Division 1 National Championships that the University of North Dakota hockey teams have won. Year after year the hockey team is a National power, next year we'll be right in the mix with the best in the country again. UND hockey is comparable to Duke in basketball, hockey is my favorite sport, I'm very happy with my team in the real world.

The guy's numbers in the quoted text are way off. Using the current share number($222,206/share), Butler earned the Horizon just under $900,000 next year, with that number increasing slightly each of the next six years. Butler got into the tourney on the Horizon's autobid, which means you can't really count the first share as something Butler won for the conference. Butler did earn one share for each of their victories until the Final Four. The Michigan State win didn't count for a share. That means Butler earned 4 shares for the Horizon. If the Horizon does award 25% to the school bringing in the share, then Butler will get either around $225k or $275k next year depending on whether the Horizon counts the initial share. Over six years, Butler should get between $1.5M to $2.0M, depending on the initial share and how quickly the share value increases.

It's still 5 shares for the Horizon. That's real money for the conference.

Why wouldn't the Mich State win count for another share?

Of ALL the Summit games played in the big Dance, how many games have they won? Last two years 0 for 2. What does history show? No crap, just what do the numbers show?

I was going to write how the Final Four games and the championship game don't count for shares. Then I double-checked things, and the NCAA website said it was only the championship game that didn't count. But then I added up the total number of shares available, and that only works out if the Final Four games don't count. So now I'm confused. Either one of the sources is wrong, or the policy was just changed and this is the first year where the Final Four games count.

Pre-2008: 125 shares available - play-in game, Final Four games, and championshp game don't count

Post-2008: 126 shares available - play-in win now counts as a share

Post-2010: 128 shares available? - don't know yet

Of ALL the Summit games played in the big Dance, how many games have they won? Last two years 0 for 2. What does history show? No crap, just what do the numbers show?

No current Summit team has won a game in the tourney. The Summit started as the AMCU in 1982, so that's where we start. Cleveland State made it to the Sweet Sixteen in 1986, Northern Iowa won a game in 1990, UW-Green Bay also won a game in 1994, Valpo made the Sweet Sixteen in 1998, and Oakland won the play-in game in 2005(I don't really count that one). So the final tally is 7, 6, 1, or 0 wins, depending on how you count.

Here's the breakdown of how much the mid-major conferences will receive from the NCAA.

CUSA's shares have fallen dramatically after Louisville, Cincinnati, DePaul, Marquette, St. Louis, and Charlotte left. CUSA gets to keep those credits, which have been expiring. Even Memphis' run to the Finals a couple of years ago wasn't enough to stop the bleeding.

The WCC, the MWC, the MVC, and the Horizon will all soon have greater per school payouts than CUSA, unless Memphis returns to its former glory.

Relatively speaking, the Horizon does well and the Butler run doesn't impact the Horizon (other than notoriety) as much as some think.

Until this year, the MAC hadn't won a game for like six years. It's payout is just slightly above the Summits.

2003-08 NCAA basketball units payable 2009

Conference USA (44) $9,064,879

Atlantic 10 (27) $5,562,539

Missouri Valley (21) $4,326,419

Mountain West (20) $4,120,399

Horizon (16) $3,296,320

West Coast (16) $3,296,320

Western Athletic (15) $3,090,300

Colonial Athletic (13) $2,678,260

Mid American (7) $1,442,140

2004-09 NCAA basketball units payable 2010

Conference USA (38) $8,443,832

Atlantic 10 (29) $6,433,977

Missouri Valley (20) $4,444,122

Mountain West (18) $3,999,710

West Coast (16) $3,555,398

Horizon (15) $3,333,092

Western Athletic (14) $3,110,886

Colonial Athletic (13) $2,888,680

Mid American (6) $1,333,237

2005-10 NCAA basketball units payable 2011 (Projected Revenue)

Conference USA (29) $6,433,977

Atlantic 10 (24) $5,324,670

Mountain West (21) $4,659,087

Missouri Valley (21) $4,659,087

West Coast (19) $4,203,965

Horizon (19) $4,203,965

Colonial Athletic (14) $3,110,886

Western Athletic (12) $2,662,336

Mid American (7) $1,555,443

2005-10 NCAA basketball units payable 2011 (Projected Revenue Per School)

Conference USA $536,165

West Coast $525,496

Mountain West $517,676

Missouri Valley $465,909

Horizon $420,397

Atlantic 10 $380,334

Western Athletic $295,815

Colonial Athletic $259,241

Mid American $129,620

This suddenly has me asking:

How is the payout really done for the Frozen Four?

I'd always heard UND doesn't take a slice of Frozen Four tournament money because it is a DII playing in a DI tournament. Now that UND will soon be a full DI (with UMinn, UWisc, and Denver) in the WCHA, will UND get a payout? Is the payout based solely on UND's performance, or on the performance of the WCHA?

I guess I'll repeat the core question: How is the payout really done for the Frozen Four tournament (meaning from 16 teams to champion)?

It'd be interesting to know what Denver (2005 champs) or Wisconsin (2006 champs) netted from those runs.

It'd be interesting to know if there is a similar (conference and multi-year performance based) system.

• 1 year later...

Didn't know where to put this...

Butler loses 53-50 to Northern State in exhibition

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Northern State’s Alex Thomas made his only 3-pointer at the buzzer, beating Butler 53-50 in Wednesday night’s exhibition game.

Butler, the national runner-up each of the past two seasons...

...Collin Pryor had 18 points and seven rebounds to lead Northern State, a Division II school from South Dakota.

9164031.gif