SiouxSports.com Forum

CC out of DI hockey?

Marty

I read today in the Star Tribune that the DIII committee has decided on a reform proposal to take away the scholarships of DIII schools that have a DI program.

This means that Colorado College, who was the co-founder of the WCHA, would have the all of their hockey scholarships taken away and would either have to move to DII or move their hockey program to a lesser division. The other DI hockey schools affected are Clarkson, St Lawrence, and Renssalaer (RPI). All of these schools are very solid in college hockey. CC who is a contender every year and the rest of the schools have very good teams annually.

I can understand that the DIII committee wants to keep their policy and not offer athletic scholarships, but to get rid of a great program like CC hockey is a shame. I hope that they can work it out to were CC can keep playing DI hockey. DI college hockey needs all of the teams it can get right now after expanding the NCAA tournament to 16 teams.

If anyone else has input or comments on this topic let us know

You mean this?

Has DIII acted on it yet or is it still a proposal?

Yeah, but the article I saw was in the Star Tribune. It was a different artilce.

The DIII committee was going to vote to put the proposal into affect in January. The schools affected were going to voted on in January and then, if passed, would go into effect in 2008. The time from the vote to the 2008 school year would be the time the schools have to decide what they are going to do as far as moving divisions or whatever.

I really doubt that they would pull CC from DI hockey, with it's history and continuing success in DI they will probably grandfather in those schools. If they for some reason DID move them down, they would own the lower levels for years. At least untill the recruiting cans out for a DII or DIII program vs. a DI.

WPoS

With CC being such a hockey school (they only have 1500 students and I'd guess that their hockey program is about the only one which makes money), and with all of that money invested in their new hockey arena, I wonder why they don't just cancel the rest of their sports (or bring them down to club level) and keep D-I hockey? Maybe that's not allowed, and what defines a D-III school has to do with more than just athletics. It seems odd that CC would allow such a storied program to go into mothballs just for the sake of their other sports.

Either way, this sucks. Why couldn't this have happened to some team like Kato or AA? (rhetorical question, obviously.) CC is probably one of my favorite teams to watch the Sioux play.

With CC being such a hockey school (they only have 1500 students and I'd guess that their hockey program is about the only one which makes money), and with all of that money invested in their new hockey arena, I wonder why they don't just cancel the rest of their sports (or bring them down to club level) and keep D-I hockey? Maybe that's not allowed, and what defines a D-III school has to do with more than just athletics. It seems odd that CC would allow such a storied program to go into mothballs just for the sake of their other sports.

Either way, this sucks. Why couldn't this have happened to some team like Kato or AA? (rhetorical question, obviously.) CC is probably one of my favorite teams to watch the Sioux play.

MSU-M and UAA are both D-II.

Anyone have the mailing address of the DIII Council? It would be neat to send a bag full of letters with pictures of people flicking off the camera.

My condolences to the schools affected. I hope that at least RPI and CC stay. Clarckson is a good program too.

See Title IX...

Add a D1 women's hockey program...Problem Solved, I am such a genious.

Ok, so maybe not ;)

There are not a lot of D1 hockey teams as is, EVERYONE should stay up. If this is enacted, CC should move up to D2 in the rest of their sports, so they can keep generating the type of revenue that hockey is giving them. Plus, I'd hate to see a school with such a great tradition (Ever hear of the Broadmoor?...yeah, CC started it) get screwed.