SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Gonzaga

bincitysioux

As I've said before, we won't know for certain exactly where the team stands until they start playing Great West opponents. We're unfortunately quite overmatched against the most of the teams we've played so far, but perhaps not so much so against Great West teams. But regardless of the level of competition, the shooting has been poor, and that's probably largely a function of not having a low-post scorer and having to rely too much on outside shooting.

I'm not sure why it matters how we stand playing Great West teams. The Great West isn't that good so winning in that league means very little. Other than USD, who we use as a measuring stick because we're in the same phase transition-wise, I could care less if we beat Houston Baptist or NJ Tech.

As I've said before, we won't know for certain exactly where the team stands until they start playing Great West opponents. We're unfortunately quite overmatched against the most of the teams we've played so far, but perhaps not so much so against Great West teams. But regardless of the level of competition, the shooting has been poor, and that's probably largely a function of not having a low-post scorer and having to rely too much on outside shooting.

Why are we overmatched?

Have you looked at the roster? I think the hometowns will answer your question.

I really did expect the Sioux women to be better than the Bison right out of the gate. But I think both Ruley and Roebuck really didn't think there was much difference between the top level Division 2 teams and athletes and a top 50 Division 1 team and athlete. I think they were both proven wrong. Dehoff came from a Division 1 background (both as a player and assistant coach) and is getting better athletes to come in and is IMO close to turning around the program. Maybe either Roebuck needs to step down or get some assistants that know what a Division 1 player looks like. I don't know anything about the other players the Sioux signed early, but I have seen Fargo South's Burck play and I'm not sure she is a good Division 1 prospect.

I'm not trying to start anything, I just think maybe both Roebuck and Ruley were in Division 2 too long adjust to the Division 1 game. The Bison were just as bad(if not worse) their first couple of years in D1.

If you think this year is going to be tough I look at the next 2 years as being tougher. Looking at the roster, we're graduating 4 seniors, we have 4 seniors, next year we will have 4 true sophs, 2 seniors, and a player in Privatsky who will be coming back after nearly 2 years away from the game with a knee that will be a question mark... maybe. Then we'll add in a bunch of new freshman who if you look at the numbers won't be afforded the opportunities to redshirt.

It won't be until we have a roster full of d1 caliber players that have years of experience under their belts will we see improvement in competitives, as this year has blown up in our face, and looking at the next 2, I don't see anything promising for at least 4 more years, and thats a long time for our fan base which skews older already. just my opinion.

Being a mid major I do believe in redshirting. I think it allows players that come in at this level to mature, work on their games and get stronger. Right now our program can't afford to do that, we need players to step in and play. Recruiting wise, I agree just if we're going to compete, we need talent that is as good or better than what South Dakota State is getting, I don't care where it comes from, but thats what we need, but I'm beginning to wonder if we have what it takes to get these recruits of that ability. Maybe we don't have the facilities, institution, student experience, and staff that appeals to players that we think we do.

I think SoDakSt is the exception in terms of jumping up to the next level being immediately competitive. Aaron Johnson proven to be very adept at navigating the transition from DII to DI. And while it is understandable that regional school want to emulate the Bunnies success, folks have to recognize that more often than not, that's not going to happen and that it will take 6-7 years to do a successful transition.

It won't be until we have a roster full of d1 caliber players that have years of experience under their belts will we see improvement in competitives, as this year has blown up in our face, and looking at the next 2, I don't see anything promising for at least 4 more years, and thats a long time for our fan base which skews older already. just my opinion.

The next 3-4 years could be very difficult for the reasons you state. UND needs to be a major factor in MSP and S Minn recruiting, and that hasn't been happening.

Maybe we don't have the facilities, institution, student experience, and staff that appeals to players that we think we do.
The whole UND experience for women's basketball is almost universally better than women's basketball in the Horizon or Missouri Valley. Those are the two leagues that UND needs to be shunting recruits from.

Look at UND volleyball as a way to rebuild.

When UND women's basketball was a DII power in the 90's, those teams were good enough to be top 40 DI teams. Since those championship runs, UND has had outstanding players that were certainly DI capable (Boese, Langen, Kimbrough), but they weren't have been Top 100 DI teams. UND needs 2-3 players of that capability simultaneously: as they made everyone else so much better. That's the challenge.

The next 3-4 years could be very difficult for the reasons you state. UND needs to be a major factor in MSP and S Minn recruiting, and that hasn't been happening.

The whole UND experience for women's basketball is almost universally better than women's basketball in the Horizon or Missouri Valley. Those are the two leagues that UND needs to be shunting recruits from.

Look at UND volleyball as a way to rebuild.

When UND women's basketball was a DII power in the 90's, those teams were good enough to be top 40 DI teams. Since those championship runs, UND has had outstanding players that were certainly DI capable (Boese, Langen, Kimbrough), but they weren't have been Top 100 DI teams. UND needs 2-3 players of that capability simultaneously: as they made everyone else so much better. That's the challenge.

Look at volleyball? Apples and oranges. I know that the coaches seem to be working hard this year and I know we have had a change with kelling moving on. I have looked at the roster. It does not make a difference where they are from as long as they can play. Crouse small town Illinois, pudenz, langen, kimbrough small town MN, to name some. They all played with heart and pride. Evaluating is in the eye of the recruiter and that's what we need to look at. It's like my job, if the product is not good, it's hard to sell.

In addition to SDSU, there's another former UND opponent that recently moved up and is experiencing early success at the dI level. Remember Florida Gulf Coast, UND's opponent at the 2007 Elite 8? They went 26-5 last year, and made the WNIT. They're 4-2 so far this year. Sagarin has them at number 94 right now--10 spots below SDSU.

Look at volleyball? Apples and oranges. I know that the coaches seem to be working hard this year and I know we have had a change with kelling moving on. I have looked at the roster. It does not make a difference where they are from as long as they can play. Crouse small town Illinois, pudenz, langen, kimbrough small town MN, to name some. They all played with heart and pride. Evaluating is in the eye of the recruiter and that's what we need to look at. It's like my job, if the product is not good, it's hard to sell.

Agree that Twin Cities-area school will not necessarily produce better women BB players: but the point remains that the recruiting area is just too local. NW Minnesota has produced a lot of talent over the past decade, but it's seems as if that has basically dried up. S Minnesota and Mnpls-St Paul area haven't.

As far as volleyball to basketball, the point was that Hardee was able to make a major step up in the program inheriting what he had (there was probably more talent there than given credit for). Whereas Roebuck, who has captained the ship during the transition, has basicially run the program into the ground. The buck stops with Roebuck: he's made the decisions and the near term outlook is not at all encouraging.