SiouxSports.com Forum

princeton offense

gfhockey

Agree. Ohio has an amazing level of talent in basketball. Ohio players are everywhere in the college and the pro's. The kid schuler was co-player of the year in Ohio last year starts for Michigan State. Watched him the other night against north carolina. Of couse he is 6'10" and that helps. Hagen put up some huge numbers in high school also. I would have thought many schools were after him also. Mitchell is going to be a very good D1 player and i would have thought he was recruited by several schools. It seems that alot of recruits however played for some very small schools. Still would like to see them grab and powerful big man in the middle in the next couple of years. Too many guards at this point. As you said patience and time will tell.

I agree on alot of what is being said but disagree about the talent Jones has brought in. First, remember this is North Dakota and its not a pleasant place to be in the winter and convincing kids to come to this weather is a fight to start with. Haugen scored over 2200 points in high school and was a Mr. Basketball finalist for Minnesota. Schuler scored over 1700 points and was a 2 time all state player( 1st and 2nd team) and was Player of the year in Ohio and a Mr Basketball finalist for Ohio. Mitchell was first team all Iowa. Allard was 1st team North Dakota and Mr. Basketball finalist for North Dakota. Archer was also 2 time all-state in Missour and was part of 3 state championship teams. Thats just 5 of Jones and company recruits in the last two year to this frigid state. All of them 1st team all state and Mr. Basketball candidates from 5 different states. Id say hes done very well. Its now up to the players to adjust and play to their potential.

I agree on alot of what is being said but disagree about the talent Jones has brought in. First, remember this is North Dakota and its not a pleasant place to be in the winter and convincing kids to come to this weather is a fight to start with. Haugen scored over 2200 points in high school and was a Mr. Basketball finalist for Minnesota. Schuler scored over 1700 points and was a 2 time all state player( 1st and 2nd team) and was Player of the year in Ohio and a Mr Basketball finalist for Ohio. Mitchell was first team all Iowa. Allard was 1st team North Dakota and Mr. Basketball finalist for North Dakota. Archer was also 2 time all-state in Missour and was part of 3 state championship teams. Thats just 5 of Jones and company recruits in the last two year to this frigid state. All of them 1st team all state and Mr. Basketball candidates from 5 different states. Id say hes done very well. Its now up to the players to adjust and play to their potential.

Mr. Basketballs in smaller midwestern states do not necessarily mean DI talent. Granted, a number of players really blossom later in their college career, especially those from smaller high schools.

But as far as recruiting, why aren't we at least on the level of USD? They have to share their practice facility with practically the whole athletic department, they actually have a winter there, plus they have to attract athletes to Vermillion - which has bascially nothing to offer outside of classes.

If winter is an issue, how does Wisconsin-Green Bay constantly replenish it's talent? UWGB isn't even one of the better UW-branch schools. Winter is an excuse for baseball, softball, track, golf, tennis, etc, but it's only a minor part of the BB equation.

P.S. I do believe that Jones (as well as all UND coaches) are more constrained than many DI coaches in that they really can't pursue academically challenged students. (Relatively speaking, football can pursue probably 4-5 kids a year (i.e. Chapel, Murray) that might be marginal academically. Because of lower roster numbers, Jones can maybe take one every 3 or 4 years). Jones is not at all well paid for a DI coach, and the financial incentives he receives when his recruits perform well in the classroom have to weigh significantly in his decisions. Unlike many Big Sky schools etc., Jones won't have APR issues.

Ok, they shot over 50% of their shots this past weekend from 3 and made under 20% of their threes. Is it bad shot selection or they just cant shoot the three. When I watch princeton a majority of their shots are back door layups and much easier shots. Why do we settle for a three over 50% of the time. I guess once they start shooting the ball better we can win. But currently as a team they are under 30% for the year from three.

Agree with a lot of what you said. The stuff I highlighted, I would challenge. I don't believe we have a lot of players who we "out recruited" over other DI schools.

I have to agree with the above statement. In my opinion we have 3-4 Div althletes on this team.

the rest should be playing Div. II

Personally coach Jones hasn't showed me much. If we weren't playing the Princeton offense we would be getting slaughtered.

Also good luck on recruting bigtime talent to a school that runs this offense. Players want to score points..not 40-50 total per night.

That and not being in a real conference make it very difficult to recruit.

Agree ^^^, players want to score and D1 players are used to scoring alot in high school. Currently with this offense a player will be lucky to score 10 points/game. If this extremely low scoring output continues maybe the coaches will change a few things and bring more scoring. Of course, this turnovers and a better shooting percentage in all areas will bring more points. That can easily happen. Hopefully everyone will become healthy soon and then we can see what we've got.

I have to agree with the above statement. In my opinion we have 3-4 Div althletes on this team.

the rest should be playing Div. II

Personally coach Jones hasn't showed me much. If we weren't playing the Princeton offense we would be getting slaughtered.

Also good luck on recruting bigtime talent to a school that runs this offense. Players want to score points..not 40-50 total per night.

That and not being in a real conference make it very difficult to recruit.

I kind of thought the reason Jones decided on the Princeton offense was he felt like he wouldn't get the recruits to run a Big 10 type of offense. When it was announced the Sioux were going to the Princeton style offense, I applauded it because I somewhat agree with running the Princeton offense at UND. I'm still hopeful that it will work out.

I kind of thought the reason Jones decided on the Princeton offense was he felt like he wouldn't get the recruits to run a Big 10 type of offense. When it was announced the Sioux were going to the Princeton style offense, I applauded it because I somewhat agree with running the Princeton offense at UND. I'm still hopeful that it will work out.

Well in my humble opinion if NDSU can do what they did there is no reason we should not be able to do the same.

They were god awful in Div II and look where they are now.

If this coach can't recruit better players we need someone who can plain and simple.

Princeton offense is so sad to watch...the ONLY thing it does is allow us not to get completely blown out on an every game basis.