SiouxSports.com Forum

INCH on ESPN

jimdahl

Sorry if this has been noted elsewhere (I don't keep up with USCHO boards very well), but I was browsing the ESPN College Sports page and couldn't help but notice that they now get their hockey news from INCH (a position that USCHO has held in the past).

Sure enough, the INCH home page now has the ESPN associate logo, whereas USCHO does not. Quite a coup for INCH, which steadily seems to be carving out its niche.

Let's not forget that USCHO has PCM!

PCM, the only sports writer west of the Mississippi who can write college hockey without blowing smoke up HE's breezers and can see teams beyond Vanek.

INCH is just a highly organized fanclub. To them, UND probably means University of Notre Dame... wait a minute, shouldn't that be just Notre Dame? North Dakota? Where's that? OH! Fargo. Yeah. Sports Illustrated said something about them, yeah. :):D;)

PCM, the only sports writer west of the Mississippi who can write college hockey without blowing smoke up HE's breezers and can see teams beyond Vanek.

Not only that, but I firmly believe that Vanek is only half a team, not a whole team. So take that, Doug Woog! :):D

you guys and INCH! Hate to tell you this but the one guy from INCH is a Minn native and currently resides in MI. He hates HE as much as we do and would prefer to watch WCHA hockey as much as he can...I still think you guys are crabby at them about the goalie article and not worshiping the ice "god" skates on! So lighten up already! :)

WPoS

Regardless of how we feel about INCH, I don't think they have near as much coverage and depth as USCHO.

USCHO is far from perfrect, but having INCH as the ESPN affiliate makes no sense to me. INCH is basically a college hockey features site with some news. They have no scores, no game recaps and no stats. Perhaps they plan to compete with USCHO in that area, but for now, USCHO is a much better source of information.

I would *guess* that as USCHO became the dominant source for college hockey news, scores, etc. it may have been less compliant with any demands ESPN may have made on its affiliates. Then again, ESPN has demonstrated its ignorance and disdain for college hockey on numerous occasions. INCH is okay, but it's like reading USA Today, you skim it and toss it.

USCHO has the message board, I really don't read many of the recaps.

I think the recaps are intended primarly for fans in locations that don't provide coverage of their favorite teams. I find the recap and box score archives very useful for checking stats and events from past games.

There really are a couple different types of users to this type of site. The vast majority (>80% on this site) are casual readers who enter via the front page and dig into one or two more pages in that visit (a schedule, a game result, etc...). I surmise that those who jump directly into the forums, bypassing the front page, are the hardcore posters who follow the team closely so have the most to say in discussions, but who don't need the extra info. Though USCHO has vastly more original content than we're able to produce here, I suspect they have similar distinct groups of users.

Back to INCH -- right now ESPN has up their power poll, cocktail napkin of important games, and preseason All-American picks. On those areas, I'd say INCH's picks are as good as anyone's. ESPN never really included USCHO's recaps anyway, just the poll and the infrequent feature article.