SiouxSports.com Forum

Targeted by Southern California

GF_siouxfan

I hate the Vikings as much as any TRUE Packer fan (not like these Favre following traitor f@gs who all of a sudden are big Vikings fans), but would hate to see the Vikes leave Minnesota.

My money is on the Jaguars. The Jags can't sell out a single home game it seems like and need to move. Florida is too saturated with the NFL, especially in a region where college ball is so big.

If the Vikes DID move...the NFC could have a different landscape. The St. Louis Rams, who are currently in the NFC West, would move into the North and the Vikings would take their spot in the NFC West. I'd hate to trade the Vikings for the Rams though.

When the Vikings go deep in the playoffs/win the superbowl, there is no possible way that a new stadium on the Metrodome site won't get done.

They'll play in the new Gophers stadium while under construction.

It'll be an expansion team or a different team than the Vikings.

saints.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Jags would be a good bet.

Jacksonville Jaguars fight to 'revive the pride' in face of dwindling support

nfl_a_jaguar_fans_576.jpg

The Jaguars, who didn't have a game blacked out last season, lost 17,000 season-ticket holders this season. When a proposed 75,000-seat stadium in Los Angeles recently cleared the final legislative and environmental hurdles, Jacksonville became, in many minds, the leading candidate for relocation.

Even with the tarps that reduce the official capacity of Municipal Stadium to 67,164, the Jaguars are playing to 68.3 percent capacity, the league's lowest figure, worse than the Detroit Lions (76.5 percent) and Oakland Raiders (77.8), whose on-field product is clearly inferior. Jacksonville's announced attendance for the home opener against Arizona was 46,520, followed by 49,014 versus Tennessee and 42,088 three weeks ago against St. Louis. Media accounts suggest the actual numbers were significantly lower. The average ticket price is $45, third-lowest in the league, but tickets aren't selling like they used to.

At a hotel near Chicago's O'Hare Airport, representatives of five finalists -- the Baltimore Bombers, Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Memphis Hound Dogs and St. Louis Stallions -- made their presentations to the NFL expansion and finance committees in the fall of 1993.

The NFL hadn't expanded since 1976, when the Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccaneers came into being, but in 1995, two new teams would open for business. The Panthers were unanimously granted the league's 29th franchise on Nov. 1; five weeks later, Jacksonville scored one of the bigger upsets in NFL history, on or off the field.

By identical committee votes of 10-2 -- the Giants' and Eagles' owners voted for Baltimore -- the Jaguars became the league's 30th franchise. The group that had temporarily dropped out of the process the summer before, the city with the second-smallest television market among the candidates, stunned the major-market favorites in Baltimore and St. Louis.

Then-NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue was an enthusiastic supporter of Jacksonville when it was awarded a franchise in 1993.

"It became clear to the committees that the Southeast has become a tremendous area for expansion," then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue said.

Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt went as far as to call Jacksonville "the new frontier."

One of those voters, who is familiar with the situation in Jacksonville and requested anonymity, called the move, in retrospect, "sheer lunacy."

Out of the box, however, the Jaguars were an astonishing success. The city spent $121 million to renovate the Gator Bowl, built in 1949. The Jaguars not only made the playoffs in their second season but also, like the Carolina Panthers, reached their conference championship game. The tandem of general manager Michael Huyghue and coach Tom Coughlin guided Jacksonville to the postseason in four of the first five seasons, and the Jags won 49 of 80 games.

"Initially, we were a curiosity -- people pinched themselves. They thought, 'Wow, we're special,'" said Huyghue, now commissioner of the United Football League. "Our messaging was on point, and we started winning quickly."

In 1996, we won our first playoff game in Buffalo, and then our second in Denver. Coming back, we got a hero's welcome. They were lined up on [interstate] 95 on the way home from the airport.

"The excitement around this town was unbelievable."

In the fifth season of their existence, 1999, the Jaguars fashioned the NFL's best regular-season record, 14-2. But they lost to the Tennessee Titans in the AFC title game and began a slow descent.

"Sometimes," Huyghue noted, "you can be too good too early. There's only one way to go -- down."

On a side note, both Bears and Packers get their a@@es kicked today (Tampa Bay, seriously?), Vikings could clinch in November if this keeps up.

It's funny how Vikings fans think they're king !@$! after 1 and a half good seasons when the team has never won anything significant in their entire existence other than one NFL Championship.

Packers: 3 Super Bowl wins and 9 NFL Championships (12 total titles)

Bears: 1 Super Bowl win 8 NFL Championships (9 total titles)

Lions: 0 Super Bowl wins and 4 NFL Championships (4 total titles)

Vikings: 0 Super Bowl wins and 1 NFL Championship (1 title)

So, even the Lions have a better Title resume than the Vikings.

It's funny how Vikings fans think they're king !@$! after 1 and a half good seasons when the team has never won anything significant in their entire existence other than one NFL Championship.

Packers: 3 Super Bowl wins and 9 NFL Championships (12 total titles)

Bears: 1 Super Bowl win 8 NFL Championships (9 total titles)

Lions: 0 Super Bowl wins and 4 NFL Championships (4 total titles)

Vikings: 0 Super Bowl wins and 1 NFL Championship (1 title)

So, even the Lions have a better Title resume than the Vikings.

Actually what I think is funny is how half the Packer fans have gone completely nuts over this Favre deal.... rather than focusing on what's important like the GB O-line being absolutely horrible, Rodgers (who I have as well as Grant on my fantasy team) holding on to the ball foreeeeeeeever, or McCarthy apparently oblivious to the fact that his QB is getting the crap knocked out of him and not calling more TE and RB dump-off passes or leaving a back in to chip pass rushers...all they can focus on is the Vikings and Favre. Worry about getting your own ship right, and deal with Favre in the playoffs if you both get there. Whole thing makes me laugh.

As far as the whole NFL title thing which Packer fans feel like they HAVE to bring up every year they don't have the best team in the division, remember 1 thing...11 of those titles came either before Minnesota was in existance or when they were a crappy expansion team. They became a team in 1961 and sucked until about 68 or 69, which is about the time the Pack won their 2nd SB, so really since the Vikings became legit GB has won 1 and lost 1, the Vikings have lost 4 and should have had 2 more shots if it wasn't for that cheating Drew Pearson getting away with the biggest push-off in the history of the NFL in 1975 (which still pisses me off to this day) and Gary Anderson missing his only FG of the year when we really needed it in 1999. With my luck in football, they probably would have lost those too, but my point is Minnesota has been every bit as good as GB since you can compare apples-to-apples.

But bottom line...what I thought would be a 3-team dogfight is turning into a runaway after Chicago and GB lost games they should have won today. Even you have to admit losing to TB is horsesh@t Big A.

I try to stay out of football topics as much as possible, because they don't lead to anything good, so this will be my last post in this thread related to Packers/Vikings/NFC North.

1) All the true Packer fans I know have been over the Favre thing since last year. I respect Brett as a Packer, but until he takes off that Vikings uni for the last time, he's an enemy, just like everyone else on the MN team.

2) Yes, the o-line is abysmal. With a little help, the offense would be one of the best in the NFC North. With virtually no line, Rodgers had the highest QB Rating in the NFL coming into the week. He's still young and will only get better.

3) I don't want to hear excuses from Vikings fans about not winning a Super Bowl. This forum gives Gopher fans enough crap about Minnesota being the land of 10,000 excuses, but they fail to look in the mirror when it comes to the Vikings.

4) Yes, the TB loss was horrendous, but playing in Tampa is like visiting the haunted house for the Packers, no matter how good either team is. I believe they've lost 8 of their last 9 or 9 of their last 10 there now...with all but two having Brett as QB and a lot better o-line. Still should have won, but that's why they play the game.

5) The season isn't over. The Cards sucked last year most of the season, and the Giants were pretty bad the first half of the season before that. Stranger things have happened, so until the Packers are eliminated, I'll still cheer my ass off until then.

I try to stay out of football topics as much as possible, because they don't lead to anything good, so this will be my last post in this thread related to Packers/Vikings/NFC North.

1) All the true Packer fans I know have been over the Favre thing since last year. I respect Brett as a Packer, but until he takes off that Vikings uni for the last time, he's an enemy, just like everyone else on the MN team.

2) Yes, the o-line is abysmal. With a little help, the offense would be one of the best in the NFC North. With virtually no line, Rodgers had the highest QB Rating in the NFL coming into the week. He's still young and will only get better.

3) I don't want to hear excuses from Vikings fans about not winning a Super Bowl. This forum gives Gopher fans enough crap about Minnesota being the land of 10,000 excuses, but they fail to look in the mirror when it comes to the Vikings.

4) Yes, the TB loss was horrendous, but playing in Tampa is like visiting the haunted house for the Packers, no matter how good either team is. I believe they've lost 8 of their last 9 or 9 of their last 10 there now...with all but two having Brett as QB and a lot better o-line. Still should have won, but that's why they play the game.

5) The season isn't over. The Cards sucked last year most of the season, and the Giants were pretty bad the first half of the season before that. Stranger things have happened, so until the Packers are eliminated, I'll still cheer my ass off until then.

Fair enough, no sense arguing about this when we should be hammering on Sioux opponents.

One thing I do have to say though, don't bunch me in with the Gopher fans "land of 10,000 excuses", Vikes lost 4 Super Bowls and they deserved to lose 4 Super Bowls. If there's one thing I am it's objective, good or bad.

"And that's all I'm gonna say about that."