SiouxSports.com Forum

Rally for The Sioux!

The Sicatoka

On Thursday when the SBoHE meets, there will be a nickname protest at American Indian Student Services. Isn't it nice that they can find time in their busy day to hold an anti-nickname media event? So ....

Someone needs to organize a "Support Democracy at Standing Rock" event.

A nice touch would be a peaceful, respectful march on University Avenue from Wilkerson to the Union.

Rally in front of the Union at noon! That's where the State Board is meeting.

Carry signs supporting a referendum at Standing Rock and their right to democracy!

Wear your Fighting Sioux garb!

Support the Sioux name by supporting the Sioux People and their right to be heard!

OK "Facebook, Twitter, flashmob-generation" ... make this happen.*

Show up and be heard so others at Standing Rock can be as well.

And if you do show up: Be smart, be civil, laugh at the other side because they're anti-democracy.

"Be Better, Be North Dakota! ... Go Sioux! "

* One of you on campus needs to take the ball on this because I'm too far away to make it work.

If the message is "Free Standing Rock" (let them vote!) any time is the right time.

Right, but my point is that if the SBoHE votes at 10 to not extend the deadline and to not let Standing Rock decide if they want a vote then noon is too late...they will have left by then. That is why if someone was going to do this for the sole purpose of letting the SBoHE know what they think....it is better to do it right when the meeting is starting.

If I was in Grand Forks on Thursday I would be there. However, the anti-nickname protest is tomorrow, Wednesday, not Thursday. It is up to the students and the sioux fans of grand forks to show up in support of the name. I will let my brother (a UND student know details as they are made). Let's not let the anti-nickname protesters make the pro-nickname supporters look bad. This needs to be done with class and the utmost respect for the Sioux people. It is their voice we are fighting for!!!

So there were roughly 50 people protesting today. Of that group, apparently there were two AIM members brought in, plus an NDSU professor, Erich Longie and David Gipp. I think it's probably safe to say that Ganje, Annis, Ketterling, Grijalva and Jeanotte were probably there, since they live for this type of thing. So that leaves roughly 40 people. And there are reportedly 340 (give or take) Native American students at UND. Even if the other 40 people at the protest were students--and I highly doubt most of them were--that seems like a very small percentage of UND Native American students, doesn't it?

But what made me smile ...

Greg Plautz: You Da Man!

How about you and 1000 of your friends show up tomorrow. :D

Demcracy All Over: Free Standing Rock!

If I lived in Grand Forks, I would be there. Hopefully the word gets spread around today, we need people out tomorrow morning. I feel that the SBOHE will do the right thing, but you never know. If Standing Rock does vote against Ron McNeil today, they need the support of Grand Forks tomorrow.

If they are holding the teleconference at 9:30am, that would be a better time to hold this....Noon might be a little late. As long as it can't be done peacefully and respectfully, good idea though.

I agree with siouxforeverbaby on the time of 9:30am tomorrow(Thursday). I know a lot of college students have trouble getting up early, but this certainly seems like a worthy cause. The University of North Dakota has been proud of being called the Fighting Sioux since 1930. I'm very proud to wear my Fighting Sioux apparel.

You won't change what the SBoHE decides to do.

However, showing up at noon (get some "lunch time" crowd walk-ups) with more than 50 people to promote

Demcracy All Over: Free Standing Rock!

would be a mighty, mighty statement.

And it would pressure the media to talk about it.

I would LOVE to be a part of this but i have a class at 9:30! Ugh!!

I need more details so i can promote this on Facebook!!!!

The Sicatoka said it best in the opening of this thread. The only thing different would be the starting time...it could start at 9:30-10:00am...students could filter in after class. It would be good to remind everyone on Facebook to do it with class and respect.

So there were roughly 50 people protesting today. Of that group, apparently there were two AIM members brought in, plus an NDSU professor, Erich Longie and David Gipp. I think it's probably safe to say that Ganje, Annis, Ketterling, Grijalva and Jeanotte were probably there, since they live for this type of thing. So that leaves roughly 40 people. And there are reportedly 340 (give or take) Native American students at UND. Even if the other 40 people at the protest were students--and I highly doubt most of them were--that seems like a very small percentage of UND Native American students, doesn't it?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/135417/

The Herald counted about 75 rally participants, including organizers and speakers. At a panel discussion that followed, there were seven Indian students in attendance. UND has a student population that includes more than 400 Indians, the largest among the state