SiouxSports.com Forum

Texas Tech Predictions

UND Fan

I was wondering, (on paper) where would people rank this Sioux team vs Sioux teams from the last 10 years or so?

Honestly, no one knows right now.

There are lots of new faces in new roles and that's unnerving for fans: We haven't seen this team play.

On paper, sure it may not look as good.

But are games played on paper?

These guys have an opportunity to "overachieve" in the minds of many.

I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised by it.

Let's hope they do it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, no one knows right now.

There are lots of new faces in new roles and that's unnerving for fans: We haven't seen this team play.

On paper, sure it may not look as good.

But are games played on paper?

These guys have an opportunity to "overachieve" in the minds of many.

I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised by it.

Let's hope they do it.

I agree.

Also, with all the young talent UND has right now, it may be a few weeks into the season before we start seeing what some of these kids are really capable of. For example, I recall the first game of the 2006 season when UND opened the season at Central Washington, a red-shirt freshman running back named Ryan Chappell was fourth on the depth chart. A week later, he rushed for 121 yards and two td's against UNI.

Holy Cow what a bunch of skippies, first thing I say is, "you have got to be kidding me, they can't be serious." I would have to say that this is almost as stupid as the comment about NDSU making the NCAA basketball tourney was the biggest story in North Dakota sports history and the whole state of ND needs to be on their side and cheer for them. Where do they find these people?

I agree.

Also, with all the young talent UND has right now, it may be a few weeks into the season before we start seeing what some of these kids are really capable of. For example, I recall the first game of the 2006 season when UND opened the season at Central Washington, a red-shirt freshman running back named Ryan Chappell was fourth on the depth chart. A week later, he rushed for 121 yards and two td's against UNI.

Sometimes it takes time for players to blossom, but I think that example of depth-chart progression fell into the category of what you might call "sand-bagging".

I was wondering, (on paper) where would people rank this Sioux team vs Sioux teams from the last 10 years or so? Even if we were still division 2 I dont think this is as strong of a team as weve had in the past. I would think this team is in the bottom half compared to what weve had the last 15 years. We dont have a stud running back or linebacker like weve had the last 16 or 17 years. Our QB is really unknown, even though he has a rocket arm his accuracy is off alot. We dont have the big game changer like Philip Moore, Shannon Burnell, Weston Dressler, Travis Lueck, Ryan Chappel, Brady Trenbath! Man I wish we still had Chappel. Be fun to see what he could do in a game like this. Murray is good but hes NO Chappel. Hopefully Bamba will continue to get better. I think we really miss the studs on D weve had from Mark Callahan, Moony, Kelly, Digger, ect. To bad we didnt have the offensive weapons we had a couple years ago with Dressler and Chappel going this weekend. I dont see the Sioux moving the ball at all on Saturday. But maybe now we have more depth then we use to.

Sorry I didnt even mention the guys we have in the NFL when I talked about stud players the last few years. Guess I always think of the offensive stars.

You do realize the team hasn't played a single down yet?

You do realize the team hasn't played a single down yet?

Yes but usually you know who the studs are by the time their juniors and seniors and you even know who the really good ones are before their sophomore year. You knew you could count on guys like Brunell, Callahan, Moore, Dessler, Digger, Chappel leading into the first game. Im not tying to be negative I am a die hard Sioux fan. It just seems to me other than Bamba we dont have any potential game breakers when we play in tight games laterin the year. I forgot about Murrays gone too. OUCH We need a special tutor for running backs (Riza Macmaud(sp), Chappell and now Murray). Coaches have done a great job reloading though.

I will admit I dont know much about football, but I usually know talent. I think that QB from Perham is going to be a BIG time player here some day.

Sometimes it takes time for players to blossom, but I think that example of depth-chart progression fell into the category of what you might call "sand-bagging".

I'm sure that was part of it, but there may also have been the issue of having three veteran backs returning in Strouth, Beatty and Brady, and not wanting to simply hand the featured ball carrier role to a red-shirt freshman no matter how much more talented he was than the incumbents.