SiouxSports.com Forum

Can't Make it for the Game?

Raider Red

Here is a little taste of what it is like. Some sights and sounds of

"IT'S A FOOTBALL SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE JONE'S".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW7Up7nIaU

Espn's Roadtrip to Lubbock last year for the Texas Weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4POGTQPm_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSyF21npbYY...feature=related

For those that are coming down...have a safe trip and come by the tailgate for some refreshments.

Since it's not being aired on any TV I'm assuming that I can get a webcast through TT's website?

It appears as of today it will only be broadcast through a radio format. I am a little surprised as of today they are calling for a sellout. Keep checking as they usually do at least put the feed that goes to the jumbo tron up. Here is the link.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=text

I'm road tripping from Denver to Lubbock for the Sioux/RR game. I'll be there with another Sioux fan and my buddy who's a Red Raider alum. We will be partying, win or lose, so feel free to give us a hollar as we'd love to hang out with fellow Sioux and Red Raider fans!

Dan

(303)981-7846

I'm road tripping from Denver to Lubbock for the Sioux/RR game. I'll be there with another Sioux fan and my buddy who's a Red Raider alum. We will be partying, win or lose, so feel free to give us a hollar as we'd love to hang out with fellow Sioux and Red Raider fans!

Dan

(303)981-7846

Will give a call. Tailgating is everywhere. Tech was voted by the Denver Post a couple of years ago as the Best Tailgating School in the Big 12.

If I can not get a hold of you go to the area just West of the Baseball stadium. There you will see a huge tailgating area. There is. Large tent and chairs with a big screen TV with the OSU and Georgia game going. Come by and say hello. OR, there what they call the Miller Zone which is just east of the Baseball stadium which is also across the street from Raider Alley. Serve cold brews and has a HUGE screen tv, more like a small jumbo tron.

Hell, Raider Alley is good as well with the live music and great food. Just SW of the stadium.

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footbl/s...aac.html?page=1

Broadway and University just South of the stadium is usually going good with a place called Chimy's and or Crickets Grill Good places to get good and ready for some RED RAIDER football.

None the less, I will try to call sometime during the day on Saturday. We get out there about 7am.

It's been a long time since I was a student at Tech and have lived across the state for years now, so I'm not up on all the current pre-game happenings. But some things haven't changed since the 70's. I still remember how amazed I was at my first Tech game. The noise just before kickoff is awesome. I had never heard anything like it, even at a Cowboys game. I suspect you ND fans haven't either.

And I grew up in west Texas (Midland) where high school football is king, where Odessa Permian H.S. has a 30,000 seat stadium and 20 miles away Midland Lee H.S. has a new $43 million football complex, and where a MLB pennant game on TV was pre-empted for a Midland Lee - Odessa Permian game a few years back. First things first, after all. But none of that compares with a Tech home game. I hope lots of y'all can have a chance to come on down and experience it.

Just one question about hockey - What's that shiny stuff under the players' feet? Does that stuff form naturally where you live, or do you have to ship it in from Siberia or some other god-forsaken place? :silly: Seems like spreading a little west Texas sand on that stuff would help everybody stay on their feet a little easier. Just bring some buckets when you come. If the wind's blowing, just bring big pockets.

It's been a long time since I was a student at Tech and have lived across the state for years now, so I'm not up on all the current pre-game happenings. But some things haven't changed since the 70's. I still remember how amazed I was at my first Tech game. The noise just before kickoff is awesome. I had never heard anything like it, even at a Cowboys game. I suspect you ND fans haven't either.

And I grew up in west Texas (Midland) where high school football is king, where Odessa Permian H.S. has a 30,000 seat stadium and 20 miles away Midland Lee H.S. has a new $43 million football complex, and where a MLB pennant game on TV was pre-empted for a Midland Lee - Odessa Permian game a few years back. First things first, after all. But none of that compares with a Tech home game. I hope lots of y'all can have a chance to come on down and experience it.

Just one question about hockey - What's that shiny stuff under the players' feet? Does that stuff form naturally where you live, or do you have to ship it in from Siberia or some other god-forsaken place? :silly: Seems like spreading a little west Texas sand on that stuff would help everybody stay on their feet a little easier. Just bring some buckets when you come. If the wind's blowing, just bring big pockets.

I'm not sure 'bout all of that...but this has always been off the charts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

God bless those kids, I think I'm gonna throw up too!

Go SIOUX! :blush:

A couple of us are in the UND band and we're starting our drive down tomorrow.

We're ready for a rockin' good time!!

Tech fans are excited about seeing the UND band perform. As you know, Tech's band won the Suddler Trophy a few years back. As I understand that is like the National Championship of College Marching Bands.

Have a safe trip, hope you enjoy Lubbock and the Giant Side of Texas!

I'm not sure 'bout all of that...but this has always been off the charts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

I'm sure they play good ball in the big cities, too. But out in the boondocks there is nothing else to do, so the Friday night lights draw every soul in town. A typical district game in Midland/Odessa will draw 10 times the crowd a game in DFW or Houston will. I know, I've been to plenty of each.

I'm sure they play good ball in the big cities, too. But out in the boondocks there is nothing else to do, so the Friday night lights draw every soul in town. A typical district game in Midland/Odessa will draw 10 times the crowd a game in DFW or Houston will. I know, I've been to plenty of each.

Outside of a few High Schools in the Houston area, the crowds usually aren't that big. Quite a few people just show up to watch marching bands at half time (crazy)

Outside of a few High Schools in the Houston area, the crowds usually aren't that big. Quite a few people just show up to watch marching bands at half time (crazy)

I have to disagree. Even in Tech crazed Lubbock, the local high school teams usually have 6-8,000 every game, more for the cross town rival games like Lubbock High and Monterey or Coronado and Frenship.

Amarillo has good crowds, but Midland and Odessa are crazy nuts. 20=30,000 is very common there.

Even the 3A schools draw well.

I have to disagree. Even in Tech crazed Lubbock, the local high school teams usually have 6-8,000 every game, more for the cross town rival games like Lubbock High and Monterey or Coronado and Frenship.

Amarillo has good crowds, but Midland and Odessa are crazy nuts. 20=30,000 is very common there.

Even the 3A schools draw well.

Well I go to a lot of HS games in the Houston area and most don't draw the huge crowds. Typically 2-4 K per game with a few exceptions, usually specific schools like Katy draw big though.

I think you 2 are discussing slightly different topics. It looks like BigGame is discussing attendance at Houston area high school games specifically and saying that only a few of them draw big crowds. Raider Red seems to be talking more about smaller towns outside the big cities, such as the Lubbock area schools and football schools like Odessa and Midland.

Seems there's a general trend that the smaller and more remote the towns, the more intense the H.S. football following is. Midland and Odessa are not small by most standards - about 125,000 each - but they are out in the middle of nowhere in what amounts to a barren desert. The nearest town of any size is Lubbock and that's 120 miles away. Basically, H.S. football is the only show in town and it consumes the local interest.

I am just guessing, but isn't that the same in rural hockey country?

Seems there's a general trend that the smaller and more remote the towns, the more intense the H.S. football following is. Midland and Odessa are not small by most standards - about 125,000 each - but they are out in the middle of nowhere in what amounts to a barren desert. The nearest town of any size is Lubbock and that's 120 miles away. Basically, H.S. football is the only show in town and it consumes the local interest.

I am just guessing, but isn't that the same in rural hockey country?

I think that's true of whatever sport is important at that school. In smaller communities high school sports can help define the town. Football, basketball, hockey or any other sport becomes the big event in that town. Some schools are known as football schools, some basketball and etc. Grand Forks is a hockey town and both high schools reflect that. Several thousand have been known to show up for their games against each other. There are some other schools in the area where hockey is king. And there are other schools that concentrate on football or basketball.

During one of my undergraduate classes, a Russian exchange student (from Siberia) was complaining about our winters. She said it was just as cold but the constant wind made it worse than Siberia!

ROLL THE RAIDERS!

During one of my undergraduate classes, a Russian exchange student (from Siberia) was complaining about our winters. She said it was just as cold but the constant wind made it worse than Siberia!

ROLL THE RAIDERS!

Well done to you guys for getting a good crowd down to Lubbock for the game. UMass came to town as a highly ranked FCS team, but there were probably less 50 UMass fans in attendance.

Safe trip to all.