SiouxSports.com Forum

Redskins Name Here to Stay

GeauxSioux

'Redskins' Name Here to Stay

Full disclosure: I'm part Native American. However, I'm not here to push my views or my values as being representative of anyone but myself. I fully acknowledge that many Native Americans and non-Native Americans want to completely do away with nicknames of this type, and I can't say I agree with them.
No, Myles. The NCAA isn't a catalyst for anything. It's a sports organization. Do sports play an important role in our society? Yes, but it should never be so important as to attempt to lead social change. When social change comes as a result of sports, it can be a good thing. It's not a good thing when an organization sets out to create such change where that change isn't widely desired.

With Brand leading the way, the NCAA has practically forced selected schools to do away with years of tradition with regard to their choices for nicknames and mascots.

I have yet to see a single case in sports where my sensibilities were offended by how a team branded itself. Whether it's the Redskins, Blackhawks, Fighting Sioux, Indians, Braves, Seminoles, Chippewas, Illini, or anyone I didn't mention, these teams, schools, and organizations have represented themselves and the Native American community with honor and dignity. They don't abuse their nicknames or imagery, and they are -- in most cases -- teams who have built great traditions with their current names and logos.