SiouxSports.com Forum

State Board

siouxper_tex

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/240560/

I think this is the wrong move. Why are we acting on a chance we might get into the Summit Conference. I believe this board had this move in the back of their minds the entire time no matter what happened, support or no support...This SUCKS!!

I would like to know then why they spent all this money on the settlement with the NCAA?

This is a sad, sad day. Giving in to a minority who just want something to complain about. If this decision was expedited because of the Summit League, that is really sad...who gives a flying F about the Summit League?

This is a sad, sad day. Giving in to a minority who just want something to complain about. If this decision was expedited because of the Summit League, that is really sad...who gives a flying F about the Summit League?

Both Basketballs, Volleyball, Softball, Baseball just to name a few. I know it doesn't involve Hockey but try and realize that their is more than 1 sport on campus. And they need to recruit and strengthen their programs now that we are all D1.

Of course the name isn't offensive to the majority because the majority of us aren't Sioux. Just because the majority wants something doesn't make it right, I suggest you read Federalist 10 by James Madison that states in a democracy you can still have a "tyranny of the majority"

Of course the name isn't offensive to the majority because the majority of us aren't Sioux. Just because the majority wants something doesn't make it right, I suggest you read Federalist 10 by James Madison that states in a democracy you can still have a "tyranny of the majority"

In case you missed it, the Spirit Lake tribe voted 3 to 1 in support of the name...

Both Basketballs, Volleyball, Softball, Baseball just to name a few. I know it doesn't involve Hockey but try and realize that their is more than 1 sport on campus. And they need to recruit and strengthen their programs now that we are all D1.

I hear what you're saying, but it would be easier to swallow if this conference solved UND football's problems as well. But it doesn't. UND's two biggest sports, the only sports that the vast majority of fans follow or attend, do not benefit from the Summit conference (except indirectly to the extent it helps stabalize the ahtletic department budget).

The ultimate irony in this whole thing will be if the Summit still rejects UND despite dropping its nickname.

Persuade and vote my friend, persuade and vote.

I believe you are way out of your element. Do yourself a favor and stop trying to appear like you're a smart person.

I hear what you're saying, but it would be easier to swallow if this conference solved UND football's problems as well. But it doesn't. UND's two biggest sports, the only sports that the vast majority of fans follow or attend, do not benefit from the Summit conference (except indirectly to the extent it helps stabalize the ahtletic department budget).

The ultimate irony in this whole thing will be if the Summit still rejects UND despite dropping its nickname.

The football program's conference troubles aren't related to the nickname or the Summit.

They won't reject UND for the Summit. They took USD and that crap town and facilities.

Football will get into the Missouri Valley once their new alignment is set in place, hopefully!

The football program's conference troubles aren't related to the nickname or the Summit.

I didn't suggest it did. I'll put it differently. It would be easier to swallow dropping the nickname to get into a conference if that conference would solve all of the sports' conference problems. The Summit does nothing for football. For example, if UND were gaining admission into the Big Sky Conference by dropping the nickname, it would still suck, but it would be an easier pill to swallow.

I would like to know then why they spent all this money on the settlement with the NCAA?

Well, THEY did not spend any money on the settlement. it all came from private donations. No skin off their teeth.

Easy call for them, actually. Would have looked better to have waited, but anyone here who hasn't seen this coming since the language in the NCAA settlement was released has been in a fantasy world. Am totally disgusted, but in no way am I surprised.

Yeah but the other tribe hasn't voted on it. It's gone, let it go the name is GONE the name is dead in the water just let it go its not a big deal. The tradition isn't tied to the name, its tied to the people that come through the university. I'm not trying to sound smart thats just the way things are, I was citing a paper by one of the founding fathers that applies to a minority being ignored.

Yeah but the other tribe hasn't voted on it. It's gone, let it go the name is GONE the name is dead in the water just let it go its not a big deal. The tradition isn't tied to the name, its tied to the people that come through the university. I'm not trying to sound smart thats just the way things are, I was citing a paper by one of the founding fathers that applies to a minority being ignored.

Care to venture what the outcome of a vote would be on the other tribe? I'd put money that it is very similar to the vote at the Spirit Lake tribe.

(Of course the name isn't offensive to the majority because the majority of us aren't Sioux. Just because the majority wants something doesn't make it right, I suggest you read Federalist 10 by James Madison that states in a democracy you can still have a "tyranny of the majority")

Yeah, you're right, the minority is being ignored. The tribal people are being ignored. The liberals who say they are fighting for the minority have totally ignored them. The pro nickname people have never taken the tribes for granted. I've read numerous people on this board saying to let the tribes vote. They either have or want to and then this board of jackasses stomps them down. The guy who mentioned another broken treaty is dead on. It was never the pro name people who stepped on the NA's, it is the ultra left board of education and their allies.

I'm mad and won't go on to big of a rant, but I want to thank guys like Goon and a whole host of others who always and I mean always fought the good fight (and still do). I would lose my friggin mind if you guys didn't add some comon sense to this board. You guys never backed down or compromised. Also to the tribal members who voted and fought for a vote whether it was yay or nay, I can say I respect you. To you hockey players and all the rest, it's not your fault you were caught up in some political correct nonsense from a bunch of people who are bent on killing our nation. You guys have always entertained and I thank you for that. I'm not giving up and never will and like some of you have said, no matter what, it's still in our heart.

Plain and simple, they want something to be offended by. Why else would they feel the need to "educate" other tribe members who aren't offended? Talk about being hypocritical! People aren't offended, but they want them to be? That really is being hostile and abusive.

Well, THEY did not spend any money on the settlement. it all came from private donations. No skin off their teeth.

Easy call for them, actually. Would have looked better to have waited, but anyone here who hasn't seen this coming since the language in the NCAA settlement was released has been in a fantasy world. Am totally disgusted, but in no way am I surprised.

Well the SBE would be in essence wasting that money that was raised to fight the NCAA in court. I wonder how those donors feel today? It appears that some of us were right when we said that money was waisted when the Ag's office reached the settlement with the NCAA.

Listen, all I'm saying is that if the few who wan the the nickname gone want it gone, well farewell. I've always liked the nickname and supported it, but now its out of our hands. Things are the way they are, I said in an earlier post, its not the name that carries the tradition its the people who come through the university and the people who support our academics and athletics. Are you saying you won't support the university as much just because we're not the Sioux anymore? Just because we're not the Sioux anymore doesn't mean our football team isn't as good or our basketball still won't continue their success. It's just a name, I think a lot of people have lost sight of that, if they want the name gone let them have it. Since we're not the Sioux anymore should they still get their tuition help, in my opinion.... NO. It goes both ways. With all that being said there is still a small chance that it will be kept, but that's not likely.