SiouxSports.com Forum

Shutouts

fightin'su

In modern times:

Cal-State Sacramento 31-0

@ SDSU 13-0

Illinois State 20-0

For the next 3+ you have to go back to 1940 and there are quite a few instances of 3 before that, including a shutout against Montana. When you go back far enough it gets crazy -- there are years in which UND had 5-6 shutouts and allowed as few as 3 points all season.

I don't care what the records say, UND had back-to-back shutouts in the 2001 playoffs against Pitt State and UC-Davis. They did give up an intentional safety, but I don't really care they are shutouts to me. And those two shutouts are worthy of about 5 normal shutouts, especially the one against UC-Davis. Those were two of the most impressive defensive performances I've ever seen and they came back to back. :glare:

I don't care what the records say, UND had back-to-back shutouts in the 2001 playoffs against Pitt State and UC-Davis. They did give up an intentional safety, but I don't really care they are shutouts to me. And those two shutouts are worthy of about 5 normal shutouts, especially the one against UC-Davis. Those were two of the most impressive defensive performances I've ever seen and they came back to back. :D

Ahhh.. the memories!!!

Forgive me Diggler, I was one calling to take the safety over the shutout.

With so little time left, having just stopped UC-Davis from scoring, and having the ball that deep in your own end with a 14 point lead the strategy and mathematics made the most sense:

14-0

Eating as much clock as possible, give them 2 points

Give them the free kick, cover well, and put them 70 yards from scoring a TD

Play the defense you've played all day and run the game out

Even if they get the TD and a 2 point conversion .... they're down 4, they'll have next to no time, and a FG doesn't beat you.

I can't speak for 'diggler', but I consider it a shutout too. Certainly, the choice to take the safety was the correct one. But since the 2 points were given away, I call it somewhere in the lines of a "moral victory." ;)

Is there such a thing as a "moral shutout?" :huh::D