SiouxSports.com Forum

All-WCHA Teams 2008-09 Edition

SportsDoc

not sure if its even possible but i would say they are co-rookie of year. both had great freshman seasons. eidsness led a team to a league title. he should get it. schroeder is a hell of a player and was very good as well and i would say this if the 2 players were on the opposing teams but think BE earned it

Good point I am not sure why there can't be a co-award. I don't care what anyone says but Eidsness deserves to be the rookie of the year and since

everyone has already made up the voters mind he is going to be snubbed for a player who was good but on the 5th place team, actually his team

backed into the fifth place position.

From a scoring standpoint:

Okposo 12-18--30 in league games

named to the All-WCHA Second Team and WCHA All-Rookie Team

ranked third in the WCHA and seventh in the nation in freshman scoring; and second in the WCHA and seventh in the nation in points per game among freshmen (1.00)

Schroeder 11-24--35 in league games

First in the WCHA in Freshman scoring, 2nd in the WCHA in scoring.

Schroeder is a great player, no doubt. Probably a top five pick in the NHL Draft this year.

But, I would still take Eidsness for ROY.

Statistically, against the other top four teams in the WCHA, Schroeder, with 12 games had 3-7-10 and a +1. In the 16 games vs. the lower 5 teams he had 8-17-25 and a +10. The truth for any MVP type comparison is how did you do when your team needed you most to step up and take over big games at big times. It just doesn't look like Schroeder did this year. He averaged under a point a game against the big dogs and over 1.5 PPG against the others. Minnesota was 3-8-1 in those games, after starting 2-0-1. Schroeder was 2-1-3 and +6 in those first three, then he tailed off badly.

Eidsness was just solid all year long. In North Dakotas 12 games against the other top 4 teams, Eidsness had a 2.83 GAA, and a .902%. Plus he and the Sioux were 7-3-2 in those games after starting 2-2. Eidsness was 3.25 and .889 in those first four, then picked it up considerably.

I take Eidsness.

I haven't read up on stats or compared Schroeder to other forwards who have won the award in the past (although winning the award is about being compared to your current contemporaries, not past thresholds).

I'd have to see Eidsness has been more important to his team than Schroeder, though I'm sure that can be debated. The Gophers have been largely a one line team and Schroeder makes that line go. The Sioux have ridden Eidsness for every game since November, I think. Without Eidsness the Sioux might not be even getting home ice. Without Schroeder where would the gophers be? How much better or worse? Certainly they wouldn't be better, but would they be a lot worse?

Not a bad choice between Eidsness and our guy.

I'd go with Eidsness for ROY and put Schroeder on 1st team all WCHA.

Would you put him there in place of Stoa? I put Stoa on First Team and both Eidsness and Schroeder on the Second. You can't justify both Stoa and Schroeder on the First for a 5th Place Team, can you?

Would you put him there in place of Stoa? I put Stoa on First Team and both Eidsness and Schroeder on the Second. You can't justify both Stoa and Schroeder on the First for a 5th Place Team, can you?

I think its possible because it seems to be strongly based on stats, and those 2 lead the WCHA in scoring.

I think its possible because it seems to be strongly based on stats, and those 2 lead the WCHA in scoring.

When you wake up from this dream ... maybe you'll be ready to talk about the real world. But ... really ... just keep dreaming.

Franken supporter, too?

I don't have a problem with it if the voters thought they were two of the three best forwards. It is hard for me to justify excluding players who excel despite playing for a less than stellar team. Going into the Tech series, Stoa/Schroeder were a combined +20. The rest of the Gophers were a combined -48.

Not a bad choice between Eidsness and our guy.

I'd go with Eidsness for ROY and put Schroeder on 1st team all WCHA.

After reading some of the ballets it appears that Denver defenseman Patrick Wiercioch might end up being the

ROY.

i posted elsewhere but it goes here as well

INCH AWARDS WCHA

McBain gets INCH's player of the year? He has the worst +/- of any D-man in the league not coming to the Ralph this weekend wearing a Tech sweater. Pathetic choice...but in-line with INCH's mentality!

After reading some of the ballets it appears that Denver defenseman Patrick Wiercioch might end up being the

ROY.

I was thinking that too. But I'd rather he got it than Schroeder, who didn't really impress me. I know he put up a lot of points, but considering how he was maybe overhyped a bit, I was expecting a little more.

However, that Player of the Year ballot...if I was voting, I'd be writing in a name. :silly: