SiouxSports.com Forum

unsettling Herald story on Tom Clifford final days

YaneA

I don't know what to make of the story on the Herald website linked below. As a former small-time journalist I am always interested in the editorial judgments made by the media but this story ...I just don't know...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...mp;section=News

What side of the editorial judgment are you questioning? Withholding the information when they first had it, or publishing it now. Seems once WDAZ/Y went with it, they were backed into a corner. My guess is the fur is going to fly between the Clifford/Kenville-Clifford families until there is some type of closure. :huh:

What side of the editorial judgment are you questioning? Withholding the information when they first had it, or publishing it now. Seems once WDAZ/Y went with it, they were backed into a corner. My guess is the fur is going to fly between the Clifford/Kenville-Clifford families until there is some type of closure. :huh:

I meant the story made me shake my head. I think it's sad that a great man's memory is now tainted with a storyline better meant for pulp fiction or soap opera than a period of mourning. Is that the Herald's fault? No. I think it's interesting that the Herald sat on the story until another outlet scooped it and then the paper ran the story with this sort of lurid detail. I don't think I'm a better person, let alone a better-informed person for having read the story. Is it news? Yes, but the tone seems likely to create in the public arena more heat than light.

What side of the editorial judgment are you questioning? Withholding the information when they first had it, or publishing it now. Seems once WDAZ/Y went with it, they were backed into a corner. My guess is the fur is going to fly between the Clifford/Kenville-Clifford families until there is some type of closure. ;)

It certainly looks that way: link

I meant the story made me shake my head. I think it's sad that a great man's memory is now tainted with a storyline better meant for pulp fiction or soap opera than a period of mourning. Is that the Herald's fault? No. I think it's interesting that the Herald sat on the story until another outlet scooped it and then the paper ran the story with this sort of lurid detail. I don't think I'm a better person, let alone a better-informed person for having read the story. Is it news? Yes, but the tone seems likely to create in the public arena more heat than light.

I agree wholeheartly.....sad

What side of the editorial judgment are you questioning? Withholding the information when they first had it, or publishing it now. Seems once WDAZ/Y went with it, they were backed into a corner. My guess is the fur is going to fly between the Clifford/Kenville-Clifford families until there is some type of closure. ;)

If you read Mike Jacobs' editorial justification for the handling of the story, which was in Sunday's paper, he cited first and foremost the outing of the story by WDAZ. Among his other proffered justifications was that the story unveiled the truism that even prominent oil-and-water unblended blended families are dysfunctional just like families of the non-prominent variety! That bit of "news" and insight ranks a distant third on a list of the newsiest headlines imaginable, far behind "Blind squirrel finds acorn" and "Sun shines on local dog's butt."

The followup sidebar about Clifford's son Steve insisting on a separate memorial fund that

uses his father's name only--not his step-mother's--which is linked above raises the question whether the Herald is going to print every snarky tit-for-tat, back-and-forth, he-said-she-said between the factions in the family. Having opened that door with the memorial fund story, the paper appears obligated to present the stepmother's reaction. Where will the paper draw the line and which faction will demand the last word?

If you read Mike Jacobs' editorial justification for the handling of the story, which was in Sunday's paper, he cited first and foremost the outing of the story by WDAZ. Among his other proffered justifications was that the story unveiled the truism that even prominent oil-and-water unblended blended families are dysfunctional just like families of the non-prominent variety! That bit of "news" and insight ranks a distant third on a list of the newsiest headlines imaginable, far behind "Blind squirrel finds acorn" and "Sun shines on local dog's butt."

The followup sidebar about Clifford's son Steve insisting on a separate memorial fund that

uses his father's name only--not his step-mother's--which is linked above raises the question whether the Herald is going to print every snarky tit-for-tat, back-and-forth, he-said-she-said between the factions in the family. Having opened that door with the memorial fund story, the paper appears obligated to present the stepmother's reaction. Where will the paper draw the line and which faction will demand the last word?

Jacobs also wrote that some people will will disagree with him, and that he himself will be second-guessing these kind of editorial decisions for the rest of his life. News judgment is never a hard and fast science, especially, when your in the eye of the editorial storm (weighing responsibility vs. public's right and need to know) And, plus, it makes for great blog fodder by we on the outside looking in.

Funny, though, DAZ gets a pass even though it is the one that opened the whole can of worms to the greater public. I guess Jacobs is right in one regard: the printed version of the story lent credibility that the broadcast media just couldn't seem to muster. I think he was trying to say that once the story was out, it was the Herald's duty and responsibility, in an attempt to separate fact from rumor, to provide background, depth and context that the broadcast versions couldn't in 30-second sound bytes. This is the part that is up for debate.

I don't know where the truth is. It is usually somewhere in the middle, but, I do like the fact that the local paper struggles with these decisions on these so-called "delicate" stories instead of just going off willy-nilly and half-cocked.

Jacobs also wrote that some people will will disagree with him, and that he himself will be second-guessing these kind of editorial decisions for the rest of his life. News judgment is never a hard and fast science, especially, when your in the eye of the editorial storm (weighing responsibility vs. public's right and need to know) And, plus, it makes for great blog fodder by we on the outside looking in.

Funny, though, DAZ gets a pass even though it is the one that opened the whole can of worms to the greater public. I guess Jacobs is right in one regard: the printed version of the story lent credibility that the broadcast media just couldn't seem to muster. I think he was trying to say that once the story was out, it was the Herald's duty and responsibility, in an attempt to separate fact from rumor, to provide background, depth and context that the broadcast versions couldn't in 30-second sound bytes. This is the part that is up for debate.

I don't know where the truth is. It is usually somewhere in the middle, but, I do like the fact that the local paper struggles with these decisions on these so-called "delicate" stories instead of just going off willy-nilly and half-cocked.

I'm not giving DAZ a pass--I didn't see their broadcast but I did read the story online after getting a "breaking news" text and read it again in the morning paper. So, I was only commenting upon what I HAD read and not on what I HADN'T seen. That's the way an opinion should be formed, I think.

...the fact that the local paper struggles with these decisions on these so-called "delicate" stories instead of just going off willy-nilly and half-cocked.
I think it possible (if not likely) that Jacobs has entirely overstated his "struggles". A person of class, conscience and integrity would recognize this as a private matter - apparently Jacobs' selling price for these qualities is a few extra papers sold. A man of Tom Clifford's caliber deserves better.

I think it possible (if not likely) that Jacobs has entirely overstated his "struggles". A person of class, conscience and integrity would recognize this as a private matter - apparently Jacobs' selling price for these qualities is a few extra papers sold. A man of Tom Clifford's caliber deserves better.

You have a good point. Although, I think the newspaper and Jacobs bent over backward with its very gracious coverage of Tom and his life in the days after Tom's death to give Tom the reverence and honor that he so justly deserved. Again, it was the TV news folks that opened up Pandora's

Box for only sensational gain. It probably would have still been under wraps had DAZ not made its unfortunate decision. And now, the Herald seems to be taking the brunt of the heat for something that they weren't going to report on. How convenient for the TV station to be "break the news" and still be immune from all criticism (I'm not referring to everyone on this discussion board, as some people only learned about this from the newspaper.)

You have a good point. Although, I think the newspaper and Jacobs bent over backward with its very gracious coverage of Tom and his life in the days after Tom's death to give Tom the reverence and honor that he so justly deserved. Again, it was the TV news folks that opened up Pandora's

Box for only sensational gain. It probably would have still been under wraps had DAZ not made its unfortunate decision. And now, the Herald seems to be taking the brunt of the heat for something that they weren't going to report on. How convenient for the TV station to be "break the news" and still be immune from all criticism (I'm not referring to everyone on this discussion board, as some people only learned about this from the newspaper.)

I am certainly not giving 'DAZ a pass - their hands are just as dirty - but just because 'DAZ made a poor decision, it doesn't mean the the Herald needed to jump into the cesspool with them. I would also contend that a local newscast does not have the "availability" (for lack of a better word) of a local newspaper, especially this day and age with newpapers having so much content online. Someone "hearing about it being in the Herald" will more likely find it to read for themselves than would someone "hearing about in being on 'DAZ" finding it to view for themselves. Online newspaper articles are generally better catalouged and thus easier to find than particular stories in local newscasts. At least that has been my experience anyway.

Had this not been Tom Clifford, would it have made the news?

Doubt it.

No, you are right; it wouldn't have made news. Whether right or wrong, the prominence of the people involved is part of the formula that makes news "news." Sucks, but that is reality. Although, if seven or so police cars did in fact show up at a residence in Grand Forks (as has been reported in the media in regard to the Clifford incident) and had some kind of charges been filed, you probably would have read about it in some kind of brief two-paragraph story on page 5B regardless of who the situation involved. The prominence of the Clifford Family elevated this particular story to 1A once the cat was out of the bag.

Again, it was the TV news folks that opened up Pandora's Box for only sensational gain. It probably would have still been under wraps had DAZ not made its unfortunate decision.

Nice to hear you weigh in Teeder! You ARE an expert on local media so can you explain why this story appeared in the online version of the Herald BRIEFLY on Friday - literally for a few hours on Friday afternoon - appearing to be the "big story" in the Saturday Herald then was MYSTERIOUSLY PULLED from the website? HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

Seems like it was "out there" long enough for another media outlet (owned by the SAME CORPORATION) to decide to go ahead with the story - then get thrown UNDER THE BUS for "putting it out there first" in a pre-written editorial by Saint Mike conveniently printed the DAY they posted the story a DAY AFTER it "appeared"...I never thought I'd see the day Chuck Haga became a tool but I did - wow!

Once the actual facts were discovered and no criminal intent was discovered - the entire story was entirely DEVOID of real NEWS value (at least beyond the National Enquirer) and the fact it showed up at all in the "local media" is just gossipy tabloid BS.

(R.I.P. B.H. You were my favorite professor at UND, worked me like hell and taught me a ton...made me love this business and also taught me to do more than just be "holden" a camera! Thanks Bill!)

I'm on Teeder's side on this one, WDAZ was the 1st to jump into the mud puddle, and I'm guessing they were not sitting on the story for 3 weeks like the Herald was (can not believe I'm defending the Herald).

One only has to look back at the covering of the Robbie Bina incident as it was the lead story like 6 news casts in a row (3-4 days) I'm not sure it made page 1 at the Herald, and was only printed once I believe until the court date came to pass. I was so infuriated by this I personally called Bob Kerr. WDAZ singled out a College kid that happened to play Hockey, and made him famous in a unpopular way (Robbie was not without guilt, but the notoriety was way more than he deserved)

This is a sad story and I wish that no one would have reported it, we all would have found out eventually in the small town of let me tell you what I heard. I do not think the Hearld would have ever published anything if WDAZ would not have aired their broadcast, but then It put the Hearld in a incompetent, I need to now justify our selfs position, this in my opinion is why they reported it when the did, they felt they had too.

I have had more than enough of personal run ins with the Hearld and their printing stories (imo) incorrectly, inaccurately, and irresponsibly, but on this one I actually agree that they were trying to do the right thing and not tarnish a family of a Great Man and his legacy.

I agree... the fact that both of these "media outlets" are owned by the same corporation, and are thus, in reality, accountable to the same people, really bothers me. ;) Obviously they want to maintain the front that their respective "editorial boards" are acting independently, but really???

this story appeared in the online version of the Herald BRIEFLY on Friday - literally for a few hours on Friday afternoon

I read the online version of the Hearld, regularly, I get email updates for breaking news...? never saw this, and this is the 1st I have heard that the Hearld had it online 1st......?

(can anybody provide any proof of this, It would really change a few things)

I agree... the fact that both of these "media outlets" are owned by the same corporation, and are thus, in reality, accountable to the same people, really bothers me. ;) Obviously they want to maintain the front that their respective "editorial boards" are acting independently, but really???

What do you think prompted WDAZ to run with this story on a 10 pm Friday Newscast...? I can not believe that is their highest rated News slot.....?

• 2 months later...