SiouxSports.com Forum

Why NDSU calls us firetrucks

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

Why do NDSU guys call us the "trucks" or "firetrucks"? Thanks, I am just curious.

About two or three years ago as the nickname lawsuit was heating up, there was some humorous(or smacky, depending on your point of view) discussion on Bisonville about what you would change your name to if you were forced to. This was also shortly after UND had announced its DI move. It was brought up by a poster that UND always follows NDSU in whatever they do; when NDSU(or NDAC if you prefer) changed its nickname to Bison from Farmers(?), UND changed from Flickertails to Sioux(because Sioux hunt/kill bison). The poster went on to say that if NDSU were to change our nickname to the Blaze, UND would change theirs to the Firetrucks. It stuck.

Why do NDSU guys call us the "trucks" or "firetrucks"? Thanks, I am just curious.

Because "we have hockey?".... J/K, I hear that "hockey" line all the time. It was started in Bisonville a while back and I believe it was in regards to changing our name and what we should call ourselves.

About two or three years ago as the nickname lawsuit was heating up, there was some humorous(or smacky, depending on your point of view) discussion on Bisonville about what you would change your name to if you were forced to. This was also shortly after UND had announced its DI move. It was brought up by a poster that UND always follows NDSU in whatever they do; when NDSU(or NDAC if you prefer) changed its nickname to Bison from Farmers(?), UND changed from Flickertails to Sioux(because Sioux hunt/kill bison). The poster went on to say that if NDSU were to change our nickname to the Blaze, UND would change theirs to the Firetrucks. It stuck.
This story relates a shockingly poor attempt at wit. Not commenting on you, Hammersmith, or your post - just those who think they are actually being clever by using their contrived nickname for UND.

I think it's because so many of them have trouble spelling "Sioux" properly.:D

For NDSU fans, using the S word is Fargo is a no-no. Just ask any UND fan who thinks that the nickname is NDSU's problem. I don't believe, however, that NDSU fans went through the proper channels at SS to get any formal endorsement for the "firetrucks" thing. Strictly an informal reference in lue of the S word.

For NDSU fans, using the S word is Fargo is a no-no. Just ask any UND fan who thinks that the nickname is NDSU's problem. I don't believe, however, that NDSU fans went through the proper channels at SS to get any formal endorsement for the "firetrucks" thing. Strictly an informal reference in lue of the S word.

I think we Sioux fans should outdo our slower, less witty friends to the South and come up with our own nickname for them. I suggest the "Unicorns" because much like a unicorn a great deal of the hype surrounding NDSU's athletic programs (especially on their football team) is entirely imaginary.

I think we Sioux fans should outdo our slower, less witty friends to the South and come up with our own nickname for them. I suggest the "Unicorns" because much like a unicorn a great deal of the hype surrounding NDSU's athletic programs (especially on their football team) is entirely imaginary.

How about Sasquatches - legendary existence, except for the odor, is entirely mythical - certainly come playoff time

200px-Smalfut.jpg

SDLogo2.gif