SiouxSports.com Forum

Forum expansion

sioux fan in phoenix

I like this forum very much in the short time I've been using it: good topics, knowledgeable fans, etc. I was wondering, though, if you could perhaps change your format a little. Would it be possible to maybe add a "Cafe" section like USCHO where users can chat on a variety of topics?

I mention this because during the summer months there's only so much sports one can discuss & the threads seem kinda flat. Maybe your control panel doesn't allow for more content but, if it does, could you poll current users to gauge their level of interest?

Thanks & keep up the great work...

We created each of the other forums here because they serve an unfilled demand; for example, though you can create Sioux hockey threads on USCHO, they get lost in the tumult and get taken over by trolls who repeat anti-Sioux propaganda to try to drown out any real conversation. By moderating this forum we try to prevent that and enable people to actually discuss the Sioux. The same holds true for the other forums, they provide unique venues for particular discussions.

We've discussed the differences between the mission of this site and POI a bit in the hockey forum-- POI has really targeted being more a social group for Gopher hockey fans and hence has a lot more USCHO-like arguments and personal discussions. In contrast, this site has tried to be more of a source of news/information for distant alums who might not ever see a game (the message board is only about 50% of the traffic). I've gotten a fair amount of feedback from casual or less frequent readers (those who don't check in 5 times a day, but maybe twice a week) that the lack of chit-chat and personal discussion in the forums makes them an accessible source of information and insight about the Sioux (in specific contrast to USCHO). Of course, breaking the chit-chat out into a separate forum does ameliorate that problem somewhat.

My big question is what would be the purpose of a general chit-chat forum? If you really want to discuss a new movie with hockey fans, is there a particular reason that you'd rather discuss it with only Sioux fans rather than on USCHO cafe? What's wrong with Sioux athletics message boards being slow in the summer, when there aren't any athletics being played? Is the purpose of this proposal really to meet a demand (as was the case when we added the D-IAA forum) or is it an attempt to create new demand just to increase traffic?

Though my views are definitely on the "con" side, or such a forum would already exist, we're certainly happy to provide the resources to meet the demand if it's really there. My opinions certainly aren't set in stone, nor are they necessarily the final word.

I think that it gives the people that frequent this forum a chance to get to know each other a little better. Here we can chat with other Sioux fans and not have to worry too much about some jackass fan from another school turning a thread into another flame war. I think it is a good idea, maybe there can be a trial period. Give it some time and if things go good keep it, if it is a problem get rid of it...

Definitely, the pros & cons must be weighed before any format changes are made.

Pros: Many ancillary or peripheral events happen outside Sioux athletics, but at the same time are closely tied to UND. The passing of Ralph Engelstad is a good example. When he died, I'm sure many posters on this board wanted to discuss what he meant to UND & share their sentiments; perhaps doing this in a separate chat forum aside from topics like Zach Parise & the current goaltending woes would have been more suitable.

The flood of '97. God forbid, if this or something similar strikes the region again, there would be no appropriate forum to discuss this. But it is an issue relevant to Sioux fans, current students & alums. Where would it be discussed? In the hockey, football or basketball forums?Other current events could be discussed there, as well.

Also, Fighting Sioux Fan made a good point. It's very difficult to get to know other Sioux fans on this board considering the current format & virtually impossible to do so on USCHO. If I were to start a "Meet & Greet" thread for Sioux fans there, in an hour it would be overrun with flamers calling my subject lame, filling it with comments like "Sioux suck" & talking about UND's weak "cupcake" schedule. But you already know that.

Cons: More content=more flamers. But I don't necessarily see this "Cafe" addition as opening the door to a lot more troubles. Most hardcore & dyed-in-the-wool flamers are content with staying at USCHO & I don't see a massive exodus of them here if you were to start this. You're always going to have dubious posters regardless if you add this or not. The question is, are you going to have A LOT more. IMO, I don't think so. You could institute a 3-strike policy where you make it well known to everyone that appropriate behavior is mandatory & 3 interventions on your part means being banned from this board in its entirety.

It would be nice if members were polled to determine if this is wanted. And like FSF said previously, you could do just a trial run. If it's a headache, dump it; if it's manageable & you don't have to act like a babysitter, then keep it. I just thought that a niche little chat room called "Ralph's Corner" or something would be a nice place for Sioux fans to get acquainted in an informal setting.

Thanks for your consideration.

While I visit USCHO often during the hockey season, I am seldom their otherwise. And, I had never visited their Cafe until just a few minutes ago. For me, it certainly didn't seem too exciting or interesting.

I visit this site two or three times each day. I, like others, am disappointed when there is nothing new to read. However, I personally have no interest in doing anything at this site other than discussing UND athletics. While I would not be opposed to a Cafe-type format for discussing other UND-related topics, I have no interest otherwise. In fact, I believe it would be counterproductive and take away some of the uniqueness and credibility of this site.

I would much rather determine how we could inform the countless UND fans who are not aware of this site to join us. A few dozen or a few hundred more Sioux fans would add a great deal more activity and topics to this site.

Any ideas how we could do this? I have recommended that this site be mentioned in Sioux Illustrated but I didn't get any "warm and fuzzies" that they will do so.

I was wondering if there was a way you (moderator) could control what threads are created? In other words, if there were a cafe could you have the final say on whether or not a certain thread is created beforehand? For example, someone wants to start a topic discussing "When Harry met Sally" but you turn it down for obvious reasons :) . But if someone wants to talk about Ralph Engelstad or the upcoming N.D. primaries you give the o.k. Just wondering if this is possible as I thought this would filter out a lot of nonsensical, flammable topics.

I prefer the site "as is". I would rather the site concentrate on Sioux sports and UND related issues than break down into some oversized chat room for people with too much time on their hands and discuss every social, political and miscellaneous issue under the Sun. I come here, and POI, for primarily hockey-related content, and use USCHO to practice my "flaming" skills ... which I've been known to show off here once in a while. :):)

I prefer the site "as is".  I would rather the site concentrate on Sioux sports and UND related issues than break down into some oversized chat room for people with too much time on their hands and discuss every social, political and miscellaneous issue under the Sun.  I come here, and POI, for primarily hockey-related content, and use USCHO to practice my "flaming" skills ... which I've been known to show off here once in a while.  :)  :)

I was thinking that if the moderator had the ability to remove the "New Topic" feature from a particular forum it would eliminate a lot of useless topics. A poster could submit a request via PM to Jim that he would like to start a new topic & Jim could could say either yay or nay.

Regarding people having too much time on their hands, there would be no one forcing you to go to such a forum, Scott. ;) It would be separate from the places you like & wouldn't be "in your face".

But we'll never know until it's polled, probably in the hockey forum, where 80-90% of people here go. From the responses thus far, it sounds like 3 are pro & 2 are con--3 & 3 if Jim is considered :)

• 4 weeks later...
So is there going to be an answer to this, or is it going to be put on the backburner in hopes that it is forgotten?

:D Not ignoring anyone, just somewhat busy.

To answer a couple of the specific questions -- this site is highly customized so we could enact any moderation scheme you could imagine; however, the exact problem of such a forum would be time-consuming moderation. By it's very nature (less structured) such a forum would probably require more attention; even supporters of such a forum agree that political discussions and personal arguments would need to be closely watched. There are only two of us and we're both pretty busy; I prefer to devote my time working in this site to creating new features rather than moderating.

Regarding other topics, people already discuss here things like water parks, the passing of Ralph Engelstad, the flood, or other issues of likely interest to Sioux fans. I don't think we've ever been particularly harsh about requiring posts to be exactly on topic as long as they're not attacks/trolls.

If the proposal is that such posts should be broken out into a "UND/Grand Forks Other" forum, that could be a pretty easy sell; rather, I interpreted the request as being for a USCHO cafe-like forum in which people would be discussing politics/movies/etc... which I still think are better discussed other places. FYI -- in addition to the posts here, I did receive quite a few PM's/emails against the introduction of a "cafe" (anything goes) forum.

• 2 months later...

OK, we'll give this a try; there's a new "community forum". Discussions of interest to or about UND fans, UND, Grand Forks, and North Dakota are all on topic. Most readers here have a tie to that region, and this is a place to discuss and keep in touch with what's going on there other than sports. I moved a few things to that forum that seemed likely candidates for such a forum.

Discussions of national politics are definitely NOT on topic.

Thank you very much for being flexible with your format. I feel it gives your board more dimension for everyone considered, particularly those who aren't sports inclined & lean more towards community-related topics. It's especially useful for out-of-staters who may be out of the loop in regards to regional news. Nothing is permanent like death & taxes so it made sense to at least give it a trial run. Thanks again!