SiouxSports.com Forum

DIAA conferences

airmail

I have been following NDSU's search for a D-IAA football conference, but what about other sports such as women's basketball? Is it true that there is no IAA, just D-I? I've been told this by a few people, but haven't been able to find information about it to confirm or deny. Anyway, if this is the case, is it even possible for NDSU (or us in the future) to compete on such a level? :) Someone please advise me on this...

Football is the only sport that splits D-I. DI-A are the schools you probably think of as D-I (Big Ten, SEC, ACC, etc...), you have to meet a football attendance plateau to be a member. D-IAA football schools are for the most part the schools you think of as mid-majors in basketball and generally don't meet the membership plateau to be D-IA. D-IAAA schools are the D-I's those that do not sponsor football, and are generally of low, but varying basketball quality. NCAA Division membership criteria

The bottom of D-IAA is far below the top of D-II in terms of funding, facilities, and institution size. NDSU will be immediately competitive in those areas in relation to D-IAA teams, but will definitely be striving for conference championships and tournament appearances instead of tournament championships in D-I basketball. Personally, I'd take a D-I tournament appearance over a D-II championship, so I still think it could be a good move for basketball if NDSU proves able to be competitive in their new conference.

Football is the only sport that splits D-I.

So it is correct that for a women's basketball championship, we would have to compete against the likes of U-Conn, Tennessee, and so on? That certainly would change recruiting practices around here. I think it'd be a shame to not have our local talent playing for the Bison or Sioux.

Yes, in sports other than football NDSU will be competing with all other D1 programs for championships. Much of the discussion has centered around the ability to compete in football. In my opinion NDSU will do fine in that arena since it is D1AA. Basketball is another story completely. We as NDSU fans will have to be happy with a first or second round appearance in the NCAA tourney from time to time, or an occasional NIT slot.

We as NDSU fans will have to be happy with a first or second round appearance in the NCAA tourney from time to time ....

And that's only after waiting the special mens BB probation time (8 or 13 years, I forget). The other sports become "tourney eligible" in five seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

As a NDSU follower, having to move all the programs up to the D1 level is why I'm still against the decision to go. Football will probably be competitive after a couple years, but the men's and women's basketball programs, and all other programs will suffer greatly.

Makes me wonder if the NCAA has ever made any good moves or decisions. There are plenty of programs like NDSU and UND where they would be better off if they could just move their football programs up to D 1 AA and leave everything else as is. The NCAA has never and will never side with what makes the most sense to the coaches, players, and the fans.

• 1 month later...
As a NDSU follower, having to move all the programs up to the D1 level is why I'm still against the decision to go. Football will probably be competitive after a couple years, but the men's and women's basketball programs, and all other programs will suffer greatly.

Makes me wonder if the NCAA has ever made any good moves or decisions. There are plenty of programs like NDSU and UND where they would be better off if they could just move their football programs up to D 1 AA and leave everything else as is. The NCAA has never and will never side with what makes the most sense to the coaches, players, and the fans.

I have to disagree with your point of view on letting teams play up a division in football.

The biggest problem that would is arise is with the misguided attempt at social engineering that is Title IX. If a school moves just its football team from DII to I-AA and adds 28 scholarships, the same number would have to be added to women's sports. If the women's sports program is still D2, then a school most likely wouldn't be able to add enough scholarships to the women and still stay within the D2 limits. The school is then left with the choice of a) add more women's sports, or b) start cutting men's sports. We all know which one of those two scenarios is most likely to happen.