SiouxSports.com Forum

New Members of DII

bisonguy

I suspect most fans of established dII programs share the same opinion regarding the addition of these sorts of schools--it's not a good thing. Unfortunately, the NCAA seems to have absolutely no problem with tiny schools with virtually no athletic budgets moving to dII.

Perhaps this isn't the right thread for this post, but I've been thinking about posting something like this for quite some time, and have finally decided to go ahead with it. UND and NDSU need to start putting aside all the childish behavior and start working in their mutual best interests instead of each cutting off their nose just to spite the other. Specifically, UND needs to admit that DII is going down the toilet and that they need to get out. NDSU needs to admit that going DI is much more of a challenge than they expected. They need to work together to convince at least SDSU, USD, UNO and UNC to form a DI NCC. Others from the NCC would be also invited, but if they don't want to go, don't waste too much time trying to change their minds. Perhaps a DI independent here or there would also be interested in joining the new DI NCC.

This will allow everyone who wants (needs) to move up to have something to play for (conference titles) until they are eligible for NCAA tournaments. It will also solve SDSU's problem of finding a DI conference before they reclassify.

If a DI NCC is formed, I can see that it would be an attractive target for the Big Sky to absorb, forming a Big Sky East (DI NCC) and Big Sky West (core of current Big Sky).

The only way to mitigate the unpleasant road ahead for those NCC schools that need to reclassify is to stick together. If they insist on standing alone, it's going to get ugly.

DamStrait,

Unfortunately the DI NCC concept was shot down already. There was too much opposition, and those that were for it are moving up on their own. The proposed DIAA conference would satisfy SDSU's self-imposed requirement of a conference affiliation. I doubt UNO is capable of going DI, as they were nearly forced to drop their athletic program a few years back. Big Red is the only show in the state of Nebraska, much as the Gophers (I know you guys hate 'em) are the only show in the state of Minnesota.

The MnSCU schools are hurtin' bad financially right now and as stated "Goldie" will always be king east of the Red. Don't look to Duluth, St. Cloud, or Mankato.

And mentioning "Red," yes, King Husker in Lincoln rules that state. Would Omaha want to be a DI with Lincoln and Creighton right there? However, Omaha's financials should look better when they move into the new Omaha Civic for hockey. (Their 8314 per game average for hockey should go up and help their revenues.)

A DIAA conference from the NCC would need immediate outside help because to be a recognized conference takes six. The contenders would be: UNC, NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UND. That's only five.

For the record (before someone jumps me) I said from the start DI would have a much better chance to work if the whole conference would go. It solves the schedule and travel issues (and thus a lot of the money issues).

bisonguy Posted on Aug 4 2003, 04:56 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt UNO is capable of going DI, as they were nearly forced to drop their athletic program a few years back.

The Board of Lincoln Alumni in Nebraska was looking at cutting sports at UNO because they didn't think a Commuter school should have sports. UNO was in favor of moving to Division I, but the Board of Lincoln Alumni put and end to that. Hockey has always been popular in Omaha. From the Omaha Knights with Gordie Howe, Marcel Pronovost, Terry Sawchuk etc to the Omaha Lancers. The UNO Hockey team was a great move.

DamStrait,

Unfortunately the DI NCC concept was shot down already. There was too much opposition, and those that were for it are moving up on their own. The proposed DIAA conference would satisfy SDSU's self-imposed requirement of a conference affiliation.

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I realize that it was attempted before, but I think that with the recent developments further watering down DII and the less than satisfying results of NDSU's conference search that it needs to be reinitiated (in earnest) now that perhaps both sides are (or should be) more desperate. The time for temper tantrums has passed and now cooler heads must prevail.

As far as SDSU is concerned, if I were running the show down there, I would be reluctant to jump into the proposed conference just to be able to go DI. I have to believe that this is not what they had envisioned when they announced they wanted to reclassify. In fact, I have to believe that if they had been presented with this proposed conference as their new home back when they were studying the issue, they would have said something like, "If that's the best we can do, well then, no thanks, we'll stay put until we can arrange something more to our liking (like a DI NCC)".

My impression of UNO when I lived in Omaha in the early 80s whas that it was a fairly prominent institution locally, and that with the size of the local community, it could easily move to DI (especially DIAA in football) and not necessarily threaten the supremacy of UNL. It's been a long time since then, and politics can always run counter to common sense, so I may be all wet on UNO joining a DI NCC. But if five former NCC schools can be brought into the new conference, then one of the existing non-tournament eligible independents could make the sixth. Maybe one of the the Utah schools.

I fully realize that there are some high hurdles to clear, but I think that the idea merits a full effort. If it fails to come to pass, then it is as it is now. If it succeeds, then it will be a much improved model for the future for all involved, especially NCC schools needing to reclassify.

As far as SDSU is concerned, if I were running the show down there, I would be reluctant to jump into the proposed conference just to be able to go DI. I have to believe that this is not what they had envisioned when they announced they wanted to reclassify. In fact, I have to believe that if they had been presented with this proposed conference as their new home back when they were studying the issue, they would have said something like, "If that's the best we can do, well then, no thanks, we'll stay put until we can arrange something more to our liking (like a DI NCC)".

My impression of UNO when I lived in Omaha in the early 80s whas that it was a fairly prominent institution locally, and that with the size of the local community, it could easily move to DI (especially DIAA in football) and not necessarily threaten the supremacy of UNL. It's been a long time since then, and politics can always run counter to common sense, so I may be all wet on UNO joining a DI NCC. But if five former NCC schools can be brought into the new conference, then one of the existing non-tournament eligible independents could make the sixth. Maybe one of the the Utah schools.

I fully realize that there are some high hurdles to clear, but I think that the idea merits a full effort. If it fails to come to pass, then it is as it is now. If it succeeds, then it will be a much improved model for the future for all involved, especially NCC schools needing to reclassify.

Dam Strait is doing a poor job second quessing SDSU. They knew that finding a conference would take time and its starting to come together.

They have hardly given up as easy as Dam Strait would have. What other choice is there but to go forward. You can stay D2 and go backwards, but that is not what SDSU has in mind. Just check with President Miller.

As far as the business community in Omaha is concerned they are mostly fair weather fans. If you got a winner they love you and if you stink like their men's basketball team did before McKenna arrived, you play to an empty Gym. The Huskers seem to be the choice of Omaha business. UNO will have to gain the controll of the board of regents in order to move up to D1AA. Remember Coach Mueller before Behrans, another winner who played before an empty Canilliga field. So much for that loyal following in Omaha. It stinks.

:)

Wow, how do you get that out of what I wrote? I think maybe you need to reread my post.

Dam Strait is doing a poor job second quessing SDSU.Ā  They knew that finding a conference would take time and its starting to come together.

They have hardly given up as easy as Dam Strait would have.Ā  What other choice isĀ  there but to go forward.Ā  You can stay D2 and go backwards, but that is not what SDSU has in mind.

DamStrait Posted: Aug 5 2003, 03:21 PMĀ 

...... and the less than satisfying results of NDSU's conference search that it needs to be reinitiated (in earnest) now that perhaps both sides are (or should be) more desperate.

There may be too much water under the bridge to reorg the NCC. NDSU's conference search may be plan B, but there are still some great conference possibilities. There is much enthusiasm with the Divison I move. I think the 18 month rule the NCC came up with, may have persuaded SDSU to move forward with I-AA now.