SiouxSports.com Forum

Webcast

dagies

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think the webcast needs a lot of improvement. The picture is quite blurry when there is no motion. If a football is hard to follow with a pass, how well can you see a smaller hockey puck moving much faster? The presentation is very nice though, but the pq is a deal breaker.

I believe that the webcast was a major success today. Yes there were a few problems with the commercials, etc. but you have to remember this has never been done before at UND and not to mention 80% of universities across the country in any division. What UND is doing with the webcasting is great and the bugs will be worked out. By the time the next few games come around, the webcast will run basically flawless. I have all the confidence in the world in the UND/REA Webcast staff.

Great Job Today!!

Are you a UND employee?

The webcast picture quality was decent, but there were some problems. The webcast cut out quite a bit, the audio had some serious problems, and it completely died during commercials. They may work out the technical problems, but given how blurry football was, hockey could be really bad. If the broadcasts were free it would be ok, but as a paid service it had a lot of rough edges.

"Rough edges" notwithstanding, those of you who live in ND and can see the games through other media need to pipe down about the quality of the webcasts. I think it is great that UND took the effort to bring steaming video to those of us who have no other means to see games.

Granted, there are things to be improved, but it was a good job for the first-ever broadcast. Also, I noticed that there was less cutting away from the field towards the end of the game. So it appears the staff was paying attention and making adjustments in the span of a single broadcast.

Once again, I'm pleased as can be that I can now SEE UND sports instead of just listening. It's the best thing that has happened for out-of-state alumni in a long, long while.

"Rough edges" notwithstanding, those of you who live in ND and can see the games through other media need to pipe down about the quality of the webcasts. I think it is great that UND took the effort to bring steaming video to those of us who have no other means to see games.

Granted, there are things to be improved, but it was a good job for the first-ever broadcast. Also, I noticed that there was less cutting away from the field towards the end of the game. So it appears the staff was paying attention and making adjustments in the span of a single broadcast.

Once again, I'm pleased as can be that I can now SEE UND sports instead of just listening. It's the best thing that has happened for out-of-state alumni in a long, long while.

Pipe down??? If somebody is paying for a service they have a right to complain about the quality. If the webcast for hockey is similar to the webcast for the first football game there could be some major problems in the ability to see the game.

Sorry. Nothing personal.

I just see a lot of negative commentary here about the webcasts. My point was... for those who cannot access cable or make it to GF to see games, this is the best thing to come along that I can remember.

Also, I tuned in to the Montana/NDSU game after the UND game was done. I saw nothing in their technology that was any better than the dataflix stream. They didn't cut away for commercials, but the streaming was no better.

I don't think anyone is upset with UND for putting out video broadcasts; I think most of the people discussing the quality live far from the ND broadcast area and are anxious to get more Sioux coverage (that's why we're all here!)

Also, I tuned in to the Montana/NDSU game after the UND game was done.  I saw nothing in their technology that was any better than the dataflix stream.  They didn't cut away for commercials, but the streaming was no better.

So did I. The big difference is that we all tuned into the Montana game for free. I think UND has every right to charge and gain revenue for the program, but then the broadcasts are no longer a fanbase/good-will building gesture but rather the sale of a product. When they purchase a product, customers will talk about their problems and concerns so UND can address them and so others can evaluate the product and decide whether it's worth their money.

Nothing anyone says here will prevent you from purchasing the product if you like it, but it's certainly legitimate for people to discuss their own experiences. I'm looking forward to the free hockey preview because by then UND will have put on whatever polish is possible and we'll see how the video quality can keep up with hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been previously posted, but the lag time between live and archived games is supposedly going to be 48 hours. That seems pretty slow, but perhaps there is technical processing of which I'm unaware.

Initially, I had hoped to be able to watch the games later in the evening the same day (I live on the West Coast). Unfortunately, if this lag time is accurate, it will preclude such plans.