SiouxSports.com Forum

Southern Illinois Predictions

Siouxru

Although I am not expecting a win, as this is without question the best team we will face this season, I do feel that North Dakota matches up better with SIU than we did with UC Davis.

where do you get that? they are faster and way more athletic than Davis? i'm not saying you are wrong..i'm just wondering in what ways you think we match up better.

where do you get that? they are faster and way more athletic than Davis? i'm not saying you are wrong..i'm just wondering in what ways you think we match up better.

Probably because Southern Illinois is going to be more of a running team, and UND is likely better against the run than the pass. This is probably the first game we've played against a run-first team, so it will be interesting to see if our run defense is better than it was last year against teams like UNO and USD.

I watched the entire SIU-Missouri State game last week, and I do think the Sioux have a chance to have success throwing the ball. I just wish Trenbeath was 100%.

Yes, I meant that the Saluki's are a much more balanced team on offense than was Davis who really loves to chuck it around. That said, good coaches and teams will always try to exploit the opponents weakness, but I'm just saying that SIU so far this season hasn't displayed a propensity to try and hit a home run on offense all the time. They like to be balanced, and Dale's philosophy has almost always been to control the game by running.

I still think our offense can hang with pretty much anybody in FCS, so if we can limit the big plays and contain the running game at all, it could make for at least a more competetiv game than the UC Davis game.

Hopefully SIU's problems with turnovers and penalties continue. Also, while I am fairly impressed with their talent on defense, it's not as though they're totally shutting teams down. They give up 21 ppg, and allow more than 100 yards per game rushing (the Bison had 184 yards against them). And while I don't say this intending it as a cheap shot, let's also remember that even Nick Mertens, for all his struggles this year, had a pretty good game against them (16-24 for 195 yards; 2 td's and 0 int's). Murray should be able to get his yards if he's given 20-plus carries, and if Freund has a good game, UND should be able to move the ball and put up at least 20-something points. Particularly if SIU turns the ball over a couple of times (they avg. nearly two per game), this could be a competitive game.

The worst aspect to this game is the fact that their coaching staff knows our team as well as we do. They probably know the tendencies, schemes, and actual pros and cons of every player on the Sioux team. I hope were making some changes to the play calling and the way we call plays. It is very likely a huge advantage to the Saluki coaching staff. Otherwise it will be like they are in our huddle.

Here's a random, fairly obscure statistic: only once in the past 30 years has UND given up 30 or more points more than four times in a season. The 1986 defense gave up 30+ six times. As most are aware, this year's defense has given up 30 or more each of the past four games. It may seem like a fairly modest goal, but I'd really like to see us not give up 30+ again this year. We've seen quarters and even halves of decent play, but there's unfortunately also been some horrible stretches the past four games. It's time to play a full 60 minutes.

Made it to Carbondale. Went for dinner and had a nice chat with the manager of a place called Moes. Local radio station has tailgating tent at the game. He gave us free passes to go to the tent. He says it's free beer. There's good people where ever you go. I'm kinda thinking our guys are going to be really jacked up and come out with a W.