SiouxSports.com Forum

Power play

jk

Since no one seems to have anything to talk about, how about the power play?

While I don't mean to offend, I am of the opinion that the power play has been the weakest aspect of the Sioux under Coach Blais. When the opponent would be penalized from 1997-2000, I would wish the Sioux could just decline the penalty, as it usually came when the team was pouring on the pressure anyway, rolling line after line of pressure. So many times, the failed PP seemed to take the momentum away from the team. Even with top-tier players like Roche and the Line of Fire, it didn't seem like the PP conversion rate was otherworldly like I would have expected.

Which brings me to this year. Forwards who qualify for a look on the PP include:

Parise*

Bochenski*

Murray

Massen*

Prpich*

McMahon*

Stafford

* Saw PP time last year.

Potential PP point men include:

Lundbohm*

Schneider*

Fuher*

Fylling*

Dahlen

Bina

Without seeing the newcomers, it is hard to know how they will fit in. I'll suggest these PP units:

Parise, Bochenski, Murray, Schneider, Lundbohm

McMahon, Prpich, Massen, Fuher, Bina

jk,

I agree that the Sioux pp under Coach Blais has never seemed to be as effective as under Gino. Don't know really why that would be, as I'm sure they spend a lot of time working on it in practice, but it sure seems to be the case. The two things I would like to see them work on, things that seem to be devastatingly effective against the Sioux pk, are getting a quick shot/pass off from the point and better movement to get open by the forwards near the weak side post. SCSU and MSU-M seemed to do both really well and our boys paid for it.

I thought the Forwards did a good job on the PP, but the Defense was weak. From the point, 75% of the shots taken were blocked. They need to rip those right away, no delaying. Also, it seemed like the D had trouble moving the puck up through the neutral zone at times.

I thought the Forwards did a good job on the PP, but the Defense was weak. From the point, 75% of the shots taken were blocked. They need to rip those right away, no delaying. Also, it seemed like the D had trouble moving the puck up through the neutral zone at times.

My thoughts EXACTLY! ;)

Hello to my fellow Sioux hockey bretheren... A little about me: I've been an

avid Sioux hockey fan for 30+ years, but haven't seen a live game since

'89 so I rely on your first-hand observations to keep me up-to-date.

Thanks for your continued passion...

From what I've HEARD, their transition game needs just as much

improvement as their pp. How many times did we hear Greene

blindly shooting the puck off the sideboards for icing after icing or

other D-men misconnecting on their outlet passes? For the Sioux to

seriously contend next year, the Sioux coaching staff needs to remedy

these areas (along with goaltending, getting more production out of

the 3rd & 4th lines, crashing the net more...).

Hello to my fellow Sioux hockey bretheren... A little about me: I've been an

avid Sioux hockey fan for 30+ years, but haven't seen a live game since

'89 so I rely on your first-hand observations to keep me up-to-date.

Thanks for your continued passion...

From what I've HEARD, their transition game needs just as much

improvement as their pp. How many times did we hear Greene

blindly shooting the puck off the sideboards for icing after icing or

other D-men misconnecting on their outlet passes? For the Sioux to

seriously contend next year, the Sioux coaching staff needs to remedy

these areas (along with goaltending, getting more production out of

the 3rd & 4th lines, crashing the net more...).

I only get to see a small handful of games in person but let me say this. If the transition game improves as much this year as it did last year then we will have one hell of a transition game. 2001-02 was just brutal to watch. 2002-03 was at least decent most of the time. Hopefully that improvement can continue.

Or maybe it was decent in comparison to the year before!

I agree on the PP but since it has been about the same for the past many years, I'll put my vote to improving our PK.

Which brings me to this year. Forwards who qualify for a look on the PP include:

Parise*

Bochenski*

Murray

Massen*

Prpich*

McMahon*

Stafford

* Saw PP time last year.

Potential PP point men include:

Lundbohm*

Schneider*

Fuher*

Fylling*

Dahlen

Bina

Without seeing the newcomers, it is hard to know how they will fit in. I'll suggest these PP units:

Parise, Bochenski, Murray, Schneider, Lundbohm

McMahon, Prpich, Massen, Fuher, Bina

1 forward you did not mention is Palmiscno.

Palmo had trouble finding ice time last season and may again this season. However, in Mankato Blais had him on a line with Parise and Bochenski and to me he looked like he was contributing nicely. He made some great passes to those guys. Palmo doesn't have a lot of size and speed but could he be effective in the more open ice of the PP?

If you are going to put Murray on the 1st line I am going to put Stafford on the 2nd line. It is presumptious, I know, to be doing this without seeing them play, but Stafford is supposed to have some good creative ability and good hands. McMahon is one of my favorite players on the team because of his work ethic, but I don't see him as being that offensively skilled. (Which means I probably just set him up for a career year in points!) I'm just concerned that with Massen, Prpich and McMahon on the forward lines there isn't one guy who is really there to set anyone else up. I guess I don't know if Stafford is the guy, but that is my early prediction.

Here's what I have seen from the PP this year. When it was on fire, it was on fire. At times they seemed to put a lot of pressure on in about one PP per weekend. The main problem I have seen was converting. Countless times a shot from the point would get through, the save would be made and nobody would be around to get the rebound and it would bounce back out to the D or to them. Working the puck around in the zone was good, but we also need to shoot more (read my signature ;) ). I don't think it was as much not getting the puck off as much as not enough, or not at the right time (Super and airmail's delaying issue). Dagies, are you serious about Palmiscino? I didn't see any of the kato games this year, but from what I have seen from him, he is a good energy line guy, but that's about it.

I noticed that M. Prpich went undrafted a couple

weeks ago. I think he has the size & grit to make

the pros someday; does anyone else think he

got overlooked?

Probably; he's very Bayda like in his forechecking and toughness down low and around the net. If he can pick up his scoring, which I think he will, he'll probably get an offer in a few years.

Here's what I have seen from the PP this year. When it was on fire, it was on fire. At times they seemed to put a lot of pressure on in about one PP per weekend. The main problem I have seen was converting. Countless times a shot from the point would get through, the save would be made and nobody would be around to get the rebound and it would bounce back out to the D or to them. Working the puck around in the zone was good, but we also need to shoot more (read my signature ;) ). I don't think it was as much not getting the puck off as much as not enough, or not at the right time (Super and airmail's delaying issue). Dagies, are you serious about Palmiscino? I didn't see any of the kato games this year, but from what I have seen from him, he is a good energy line guy, but that's about it.

Look, it's not like I think Palmo is the secret weapon but just isn't getting ice time, but from what I saw when he played with Parise and Bochenski he was contributing on that line.

I've seen Palmo play on the low lines before and he wasn't a factor.

Tyler did, in fact, play very well in Mankato on Friday night and held his own with Parise and Bochenski. On Saturday he netted a power play goal.

Tyler is not the biggest, strongest or fastest player, but he is one of the best passers on the team and despite his lack of playing time, he maintains a positive and upbeat attitude.