SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

I apologize if this was posted already but:

From foxsports.com

Rookies ready to make impact

Brandon Bochenski, Ottawa: This 23-year-old has come out of nowhere to earn a spot on the Sens' opening-night roster. That is unless you listened to Jason Spezza, another young gun with the Senators.

"I told everybody at the start of the camp they should keep an eye on this guy because he might surprise a few people," said Spezza, a linemate of Bochenski's last year at Binghamton (AHL). "He's around the puck and he can put it in the net. There's no question about it."

Bochenski, who played three years at the University of North Dakota, had 70 points in 75 games last year. He already has five goals, including a hat trick, in this year's preseason.

Zach Parise, New Jersey: The league's crackdown on obstruction fouls, as well as other initiatives to open up the game, appear tailor-made for Parise, a smaller, faster skater that can exploit the additional room in the offensive zone without being tugged and mauled by bigger, slower defenders. So far, at least, that has been the story as Parise has looked fantastic in the preseason, scoring in each of his first two appearances and taking a team-high 12 shots in two outings.

Last season, Parise left the University of North Dakota to play for Albany in the AHL. That decision was a solid one by the 21-year-old winger as he scored 18 goals and added 40 assists to finish second on the River Rats scoring chart.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/4921234

From foxsports.com

Zach Parise, New Jersey: The league's crackdown on obstruction fouls, as well as other initiatives to open up the game, appear tailor-made for Parise, a smaller, faster skater that can exploit the additional room in the offensive zone without being tugged and mauled by bigger, slower defenders. So far, at least, that has been the story as Parise has looked fantastic in the preseason, scoring in each of his first two appearances and taking a team-high 12 shots in two outings.

Too bad the WCHA never figured that out. :silly:

Don Cherry is the ultra-Canadian homer. He's the same one that felt that Americans in the NHL was a fact of life in the NHL but Europeans should have stayed home. If he could have gotten away with the NHL being only Canadians in it, I doubt he'd be anything less than the guy leading the movement if it were feasible.

He also didn't choose Ovechkin because he's Russian and Crosby because he plays for a team in the US.

That being said, I hope Bo gets the Calder, but if he doesn't it matters little. I want Bo to be a quality NHL player. Doing his job well. Calder is nice but not necessary to be a good NHL player.

went through all opening day rosters and noticed these sioux players..if anyone else notices others please post them.thanks

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/10/236694.html

commodore - carolina

blake - new york isles

belfour - toronto

bochesnki - ottawa

parsie - new jersey

goren - vancuver

g johnson - nashville

r johnson - st louis

players that had solid camps

jones - phoenix

hale - new jersey

schneider - pittsburgh

greene - edmonton

Don Cherry is the ultra-Canadian homer.  He's the same one that felt that Americans in the NHL was a fact of life in the NHL but Europeans should have stayed home.  If he could have gotten away with the NHL being only Canadians in it, I doubt he'd be anything less than the guy leading the movement if it were feasible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don Cherry is an unabashed Toronto Maple Leafs fan who must have swallowed real hard in picking their hated rivals for the Cup. He also hates Montreal and who could forget the French Canadians in visors comment. Next to Toronto he will always have a soft spot for the Bruins. Yeah the guy is a biggot, but his position on Scadanavian players has mellowed recently. I seem to recall that he isn't a big Wings fan either. :silly:

Don Cherry is the ultra-Canadian homer. He's the same one that felt that Americans in the NHL was a fact of life in the NHL but Europeans should have stayed home. If he could have gotten away with the NHL being only Canadians in it, I doubt he'd be anything less than the guy leading the movement if it were feasible.

He also didn't choose Ovechkin because he's Russian and Crosby because he plays for a team in the US.

Ummm, refresh my memory. What nationality is Bochenski?

And for the record, Don Cherry spent most of his professional playing and coaching career in the United States and is a known supporter of American hockey players.

Ummm, refresh my memory. What nationality is Bochenski?

And for the record, Don Cherry spent most of his professional playing and coaching career in the United States and is a known supporter of American hockey players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the point was that he plays for a canadian team in ottawa i believe

the point was that he plays for a canadian team in ottawa i believe

Right, and I thought it was a rather illogical point. Lemme get this straight: He didn't pick Crosby because he plays for an American team, and because of his pro-Canada bias, he picks American citizen Brandon Bochenski because he plays for a Canadian team?

went through all opening day rosters and noticed these sioux players..if anyone else notices others please post them.thanks

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/10/236694.html

commodore - carolina

blake - new york isles

belfour - toronto

bochesnki - ottawa

parsie - new jersey

goren - vancuver

g johnson - nashville

players that had solid camps

jones - phoenix

hale - new jersey

schneider - pittsburgh

greene - edmonton

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ryan johnson - st louis

honestly i could care less about don cherry and what he thinks, just was not sure if you missed that point

Right, and I thought it was a rather illogical point. Lemme get this straight: He didn't pick Crosby because he plays for an American team, and because of his pro-Canada bias, he picks American citizen Brandon Bochenski because he plays for a Canadian team?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you read my full post you'd understand that my opinion is He's ok with Americans in the NHL. It's a fact of life. That being said, he chose Bo for the Calder because he is on a Canadian team. It would make no sense to do it any other way except for a Canadian on a Canadian team and right now there's no one that fits that mold.

EDIT: So basically, my opinion is of Don Cherry's order of importance:

1. Canadians on Canadian teams

2. Americans on Canadian teams

3. Canadians on American teams

4. Americans on American teams

5. Europeans on Canadian teams

6. Who cares about Europeans on American teams.

Edited by redwing77

If you read my full post you'd understand that my opinion is He's ok with Americans in the NHL.  It's a fact of life.  That being said, he chose Bo for the Calder because he is on a Canadian team.  It would make no sense to do it any other way except for a Canadian on a Canadian team and right now there's no one that fits that mold.

EDIT:  So basically, my opinion is of Don Cherry's order of importance:

1.  Canadians on Canadian teams

2.  Americans on Canadian teams

3.  Canadians on American teams

4.  Americans on American teams

5.  Europeans on Canadian teams

6.  Who cares about Europeans on American teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have a post on what you think Don Cherry's order of importance of players is, that is funny stuff.

I definitely do not agree with Don Cherry on a lot of things, but he is entertaining and he loves hockey. I enjoy watching Coaches Corner on saturday nights, because you never know what is going to come out of his mouth.

And Don Cherry is a very big supporter of American hockey players.