SiouxSports.com Forum

St. Cloud departures

schmidtdoggydog

Dahl Said:"It happens to schools like Michigan. They have kids decide to leave and play major junior. This time it happened to us," Dahl told the Times.

I hope Dahl doesn't think SCSU is a top program like Michigan...

See, Dahl was waiting for "The Call" from Wisco and he let some of his best players slip out. ;) I think it's interesting that he has no plans to bring in more players from juniors or new recruits to replace these guys. It leaves them pretty thin right now.

I don't anticipate the Huskies doing too much this year, but I doubt they'll do as bad as everyone seems to think. It is quite surprising what players can do when they learn that they may have an opportunity to get more playing time and share the spotlight that was formerly dominated by their more senior players. Especially true for the freshman, as they will certainly get more playing time than they could ever expect if this situation wasn't true.

As for Dahl, if I were a coaching fanatic (which I am not as I can only assume from other posts that he is the head coach), I would surmise that this season will be a true test for himself and the school. Any coach can look good when their team has all the talent and is winning (Hmmmm Joe Torre? Lucia perhaps? Maybe even Dean Blais despite his rocky start at UND. Miami football coach and FSU's coach during their winning seasons). However, a true great coach is when a coach does well with practically nothing. If Dahl manages to break even this season, it will be a success. If they are ranked nationally in either poll at the end of the season, even if it is 25 overall on one poll, it will be a fantastic success and one truly worth being proud of. Going on that scale, should they make the NCAA Regionals, well... let's not get carried away. In any case, if Dahl survives this season and his team does ok, barring any legal or other issues, Dahl's job would theoretically be more solid than last season.

Did that make any sense? Don't get offended by the Blais reference, it was my impression that UND wasn't too hot for a few years under DB. If I am mistaken, I'm sure I'll be notified ;)

I dont think anyone questions Lucia's coaching, I mean he took a cruddy CC team under Beutow and turned them completely around and his turnaround here is well documented. Same with Blais, those last few years under Gino were BAD!

Dahl is not on the level of a Lucia or a Blais. He is a mediocre coach who recruits well but honestly stinks it up in the big games. Players dont respect him which is why they defect all the time. SCCC will never be a serious contender as long as he is at the helm.

This year they were going to be bad anyways, and now it gets worse. Their recruits are above average but nothing to write home about and now they have lost their top defensemen (and arguably their only good one) a young forward they were counting on, and another top player (Hendricks) is days away from jumping ship. Add in Schuster and the other 35 people that are gone and his team has no depth and no real threats except maybe Joe Jensen to make any noise. The team underachieved last year, and will out and out suck this year.

Myself, I really enjoy knowing that ;)

I don't think you can say Blais had a rocky start. He took over a team that had few tools, and in 3 years? won a national championship. If he had anything rocky it was the next 2 years in the post season when he had magnificent regular season teams that got bumped pre-Frozen Four. But he rebounded with a less strong team and won the national championship.

I think Blais' most rocky period has been these past 2 years. Let's hope that's all the longer it is.