SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux All-Decade Team: The 1990s

Dave Berger

Fighting Sioux All-Decade Team: The 1990s

Discuss. :silly:

Dave

Also check out discussion about the 1980s All-Decade Team here.

The 80's team rolls the 90's team 4-1 in a 7 game series (Karl makes 134 saves in 11 ot's in the only 90's victory - the winning goal is scored when Greg Johnson does a Neal Broten over a sprawling Bob Iwabuchi Ed Belfour).

junior24 is dead on. Trevor Hammer doesn't belong on the list at all.

Gotta love how good our forwards have been over the 90s when you have to put Landon Wilson as a reserve. Same thing regarding Brad Bombadir and the defensemen.

Having not seen them play though (meaning, relying upon statistics), I might put Hoogsteen or Mitani ahead of McLean, though.

Instead of Trevor Hammer, what about Tim O'Connell, Brad Pascall, Mark Pivetz, or Mitch Vig?

junior24 is dead on. Trevor Hammer doesn't belong on the list at all.

Gotta love how good our forwards have been over the 90s when you have to put Landon Wilson as a reserve. Same thing regarding Brad Bombadir and the defensemen.

Having not seen them play though (meaning, relying upon statistics), I might put Hoogsteen or Mitani ahead of McLean, though.

Instead of Trevor Hammer, what about Tim O'Connell, Brad Pascall, Mark Pivetz, or Mitch Vig?

Definitely Pivy! A very good defenseman, an even better guy. I have to admit that I'm a bit biased because I know him very well. Personally, I don't think Trevor Hammer was too bad. He just got hyped and didn't live up to some person's expectations. I thought he was solid after his freshman year. Brian Lee also got ripped a lot, but I think he was a very good defenseman. The Senators love him.

I'm not sure how I would make it happen, but I'd like to get Marty Schriner on the main list.

In his time, as important to the team's success as players who had the fortune of playing on more successful teams.

Disclaimer: As a general philosophy, I'm probably somewhat biased toward the good players from less successful teams -- it's easier to look good when your linemates are Bob Joyce and Steve Johnson. :silly:

I always thought Kvalevog was awful, although I'm not sure of his numbers. I just remember that playoff game where we sat there for 4 hours only to have a 150-footer trickle through his legs to end the game. But I guess there wasn't a whole lot of other goalies to pick from during the decade.