SiouxSports.com Forum

David Carle

Sioux

i dont know how many people saw this, but i think it is deserving of a new topic. David Carle has to end his hockey career due to a heart abnormality. very sad to see this kind of stuff happen.

http://www.adn.com/sports/story/442736.html

I bet he turns up behind the bench at Pio games as a Student Assistant Coach (much like the Volunteer Graduate Assistant Coach). He'd get four years on athletic coaching at the DI level and, from there, can get an education and move on in some capacity either in hockey as a coach or in whatever he desires to do with his DU degree.

In any case, a tough thing for an 18 year old to find out just before the draft.

I really admire the Denver hockey program (mostly Gwoz) for honoring the kid's scholarship. Too often we hear of young athletes who end their careers and then really have nothing to fall back on. Although you hate to hear that he's done playing hockey, he's got a great opportunity to succeed in the future because of where he's going.

Anybody have any word on why Tampa Bay still drafted him after the news of his heart condition came out?

From a Tampa Bay Lightning Blog

With its final pick, 203rd overall, Tampa Bay took defenseman David Carle. An interesting choice since Carle, the brother of San Joses's Matt Carle, withdrew from the draft after being diagnosed with a heart condition. But general manager Jay Feaster said prospective new owner Oren Koules knows the family and the diagnosis might not be as severe as first believed. Besides Koules said, "The kid worked his whole life to be drafted in the NHL, and I don't see a reason he shouldn't be."

I really admire the Denver hockey program (mostly Gwoz) for honoring the kid's scholarship. Too often we hear of young athletes who end their careers and then really have nothing to fall back on. Although you hate to hear that he's done playing hockey, he's got a great opportunity to succeed in the future because of where he's going.

I agree.

Agreed.

I'm experiencing cognitive dissonance here. My view of Gwozdecky is changing.

• 1 month later...

Well...looks like David Carle has a lot to be grateful for...turns out Mickey Renaud died of the same condition that David has. TSN has just put out this story showing that the autopsy reports show that Renaud had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy....just the same as Mr. Carle. Kind of scary to think about....maybe more young athletes should be getting tested for this.