SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL: Wider Nets

airmail

I don't like the idea. I would be more interested in actually regulating the size of goalie equipment (bigger doesn't mean more safety) or the bigger ice surface. I don't like the olympic ice in college, but for the bigger players in the NHL it could be good. With new sticks adding 10 mph, I don't think the net needs to be bigger. Players, especially here, need to work on accuracy.

I really don't think the NHL has a problem with offence. There are defensive teams that are going to win 2-1 and the like, but there are offensive games that can put up 5 or 6 goals a night. It provides a great variety in the games. I honestly wouldnt change a thing about the nets or goalie equipment. The only thing I would consider in getting rid of the of the 2 line pass rule. That should open the game up and provide for a more open game therefore creating more excitement.

Ah well. Have a good one everybody.

Go DEVILS!!!!!!!!

I honestly wouldnt change a thing about the nets or goalie equipment.

Compare pictures of goalies today to ones from the 60s, 70s, even early 80s. They look like the StayPuf Marshmallow man now. Then, they just looked like hockey players with shin pads (and noticeably smaller ones at that.) Extremely glaring is the catching glove. It used to be essentially a first baseman's mitt with a leather sleeve protecting the wrist. Now it's twice the size.

I honestly wouldnt change a thing about the nets or goalie equipment. The only thing I would consider in getting rid of the of the 2 line pass rule. That should open the game up and provide for a more open game therefore creating more excitement.

Ah well. Have a good one everybody.

Go DEVILS!!!!!!!!

Definately. The two line pass rule has got to go. If the nets are made wider, it should only be a few inches. There is however nothing wrong with the equipment. Remember that the shots are coming much harder than they were back in the day on the first basemen's mitt and no helmets or face masks.

Do you really think that they are shooting harder today than they were with the wicked hooked blades before they were limited to a half inch curve?  Why do you think they made the rule change limiting curve?

Bobby Hull holds the official record for the fastest, at 118.3.  They barely crack 100 at the NHL skills competition now, with the record being Al Iafrate

Just compare the styles from the stand-up goalie back in the day to the butterfly goalies now. Todays goalies are more athletic than the ones of yesteryear.

BTW...I believe that flatter blades give you a harder shot if you are taking a slap shot, which is what they use in the skills competition, but I could be wrong. And I believe that the rule is a dime for curve size, again, I could be wrong.

They may be more athletic now; that's certainly a debatable point. But standup vs. butterfly had a lot to do with the mask. Would you want to drop down among the sticks and elbows with no mask?

No, the rule for stick blade curve is definitely 1/2", not a dime.

As for whether you can get a harder shot with a flat blade, I'll let someone who has done more than played pond hockey on racer skates (me) comment, but my memory of the days when Mikita and Hull were terrorizing goalies with the wicked curve is that it added considerably to the velocity.

What I've really started to notice by watching so much of Giggy of the Ducks:

The leg pads have been modified to work with the butterfly style.

Look at them. The tops are square to match up when they are down: No five-hole. The insides of the knees are now what a goalie puts on the ice. It almost looks like Giggy (et al) are kneeling behind two sandbags. What's left facing the shooter is two recectangles a foot high and three feet wide each. (You see the whole "front" of the pad.) The bottom of the net is completely gone when they are down. You could just as well put sandbags down.

Comparatively, when goalies dropped in the past they went down on the "front" of the pad (not behind them), even down there was a five-hole, and they, the pads, just seemed to cover less of the front of the net.

They may be more athletic now; that's certainly a debatable point. But standup vs. butterfly had a lot to do with the mask. Would you want to drop down among the sticks and elbows with no mask?

No, the rule for stick blade curve is definitely 1/2", not a dime.

As for whether you can get a harder shot with a flat blade, I'll let someone who has done more than played pond hockey on racer skates (me) comment, but my memory of the days when Mikita and Hull were terrorizing goalies with the wicked curve is that it added considerably to the velocity.

Question #1...no

As I said I could be wrong about the blade curvature, and it appears as though I am, thanks for correcting me.

Harder shots with a flatter blade occur using the slap shot...but, I will concede to larger curves shooting hte puck harder using the wrist shot. It's simple physics (okay so physics isn't simple by any means, and no i don't know how to figure it out...I took my C and ran in that class).

Stick curvature: A slap shot is not a one-time impact like a baseball hitting a bat. Rather, the puck is flung off of the stick toe like a wrist shot. Watch for this when you see slow motion replays.

Bigger nets: For some time, there has been some talk in soccer about widening the nets to increase scoring. However, even if everybody agreed that this was necessary, the logistics of replacing goal frames all across the world is relatively astronomical. In hockey, the NHL could conceivably choose to make their nets a different size from other levels of hockey. However, they have more options than soccer does with huge goalie pads and restrictive rules like the two-line pass.

On a slightly different tangent: I don't understand how debate can rage whether a goalie's pads are legal. Is it so hard for an official to measure? They use the same pads all game--it is unlike sticks which are swapped at will. Yet, teams hint that an opponent is cheating and the goalie insists that his pads are legal.

Personally, I would like to see slightly narrower goalie equipment than we see today.

Either that, or a 5' goalie tether.

Do players on the average shoot the puck harder today. Absolutely, primarily due to the technology in the new kevlar/graphite composite shafts.

Back in the days of Bobby Hull shooting the puck 118 mph, rock elm was used exclusively in wooden hockey sticks. It was both strong and flexible. With Dutch elm disease taking out elms by the boat loads, the elm sticks disappeared, and were replaced by ash, neither as strong nor as flexible. Not until Easton introduced aluminum shafts did stick quality again approach what was possible with elm.

Today, reportedly at least 200 of 700 NHL players are using the Easton Synergy, a kevlar, graphite composite that is capable of much more than any wood or aluminum sticks could do previously. A recent article in USA hockey quoted several college hockey players crediting their improved shots and scoring on using the Synergy or one of its new competitors.

Here are some quotes on the Synergy:

Synergy sticks have changed hockey somewhat. "It's made a huge difference [in players' shots]. The stick has allowed players to score on a more consistent basis from places where they haven't scored from very often before," said TSN hockey analyst Pierre McGuire in an article in TSN's magEzine. He also commented that broken bone injuries might increase as more players use Synergy sticks. "We'll probably see more broken feet, ankles and toes, and maybe some broken jaws and cheeks from deflections."

Lousiville Sports, one of Easton's competitors, has recently announced its own one-piece stick, the Response. It weighs 455 grams. Time will tell how this one-piece race will turn out. In any case, it does seem that the Synergy stick is an evolution that is here to stay.

None of this is an argument by me to leave the nets as is. Think it's more than troubling the Giguerre cloans, huge, stay in one place, depend on ergonomic designed equipment to stop the puck replace the any size goes, quickness that was the typical goalie of the past. Giguerre is good, but if the future is a goalie of his size with his equipment, they may as well eliminate the goalie position and install plywood sheets with very small puck size holes in several places on the outsides and top of the net.

That all said, I'm all for the Ducks winning the Cup. Can't possibly be against a team called the Ducks :glare: